CTD on startup: Failed to load Effect: StaticMesh.fx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CTD on startup: Failed to load Effect: StaticMesh.fx

This is a problem I haven't seen solved anywhere, unless it was a small little weird fix that only worked for one person.

After not playing BF2 for a good month or two, I tried to boot it up the other day, only to be sent right back to my desktop after seeing the splash screen and watching the program try and change my screen resolution (all the black flashes and whatnot).

Upon running BF2_r.exe, I get this error:

Failed to load Effect: StaticMesh.fx

StaticMesh.fx(2): error X1507: failed to open source file: 'mods/xpack/shaders/datatypes.fx'

This problem is usually associated with people who change monitors, who solve it by switching back to their old monitor, changing their settings, and retrying on their new monitor. Well, I haven't changed monitors, and the program won't run on my secondary monitor either. Gonna list all the things I've tried:

Uninstall/reinstall of both BF2 and Special Forces.
    Deletion/moving of profiles so as to set the game's startup preferences to default.
    Updating of video card drivers.
    Running in windowed mode.
    Running in a specified resolution from the shortcut.
    Running game on different monitors (and at different resolutions on those monitors.)
    Running other games (they all work fine).
    Running the BF2 Demo or 2142 demo: neither of those work either.
    Checked the folder where the failed effect is located and found nothing (apparently no one has anything in that folder).

I'm running on a Samsung LCD monitor, with a 6800 GS 256MB and an AMD Athlon 64 3200+. The game has worked great up until this point, running the graphical settings at medium. I cannot recall anything I've done in the past month or so that involved any kind of drastic change in my computer that would've caused this problem.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to try to fix this until Christmas, when I believe I'll be getting a new hard drive, with which I'll copy all my current secondary hard drive stuff to, and make that one my primary drive, and start all over again with a nice, formatted drive. I would like to not have to go through that though. I also haven't tried uninstalling and cleaning my registry of anything BF2 related I find, mainly because I don't like messing around in my registry, and am scared of deleting something unrelated to the game.

Again, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Re: CTD on startup: Failed to load Effect: StaticMesh.fx

Disable antivirus program? What updates have been applied to the computer?

I assume the file it references is present and readable?

What a crock - I wasn't aware that changing monitors would cause this game to have problems. Who the F programmed this thing - the cheapest labor from India they could find?

Comment

Re: CTD on startup: Failed to load Effect: StaticMesh.fx

I do not currently have any antivirus programs running, and I'm pretty sure my updates to my XP SP2 are up-to-date (unless you mean video card or game patches, video card's up-to-date, I tried the game patched and unpatched).

I also recently did a manual uninstall of BF2, Special Forces, the mod editor, and the Battlefield 2142 demo, cleaning my registry of anything Battlefield related. Reinstalled, and to my astonishment, I'm having the same damn problem.

And the file it references is nonexistent. I asked a friend if he had it and he doesn't either, so I'm pretty sure the game initiates and creates that file on it's own or something when you're playing (or my game is just broked...)

I don't understand how it could have that problem after a complete manual uninstall though. Looks like I may be waiting til I reformat. Might be running on Linux then too.

Comment

Working...
      X