Similar Laptop Question: PLEASE HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Similar Laptop Question: PLEASE HELP

I have a similar question to an above one... but mine is tricky. I purchased the Toshiba Satellite A105-S4324 with # 160 GB hard drive, 1.5 GB of RAM (4 GB max) Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 (128 MB of shared RAM) and the dual core 2 comes in a just about 1.6 ghz.

I thought with all the ram and close enough processor speed I would be able to somehow run BF2 on the simplest of settings.

I have tried everything, even editing the shortcut's target values to boot the game at a low quality video setting. I also have some Toshiba zoom controls that can force it to emulate certain things.

The tests I ran on 3D video and whatnot are successfull and my DirectX is updated.

Please help! It crashes at the splash screen when I hit "play bf2" and i get no further than the quick flash of black. This is even after closing every single process I can think of. (if thats even necessary).

Onboard video is tricky and I know little about it.

Re: Similar Laptop Question: PLEASE HELP

I'm sorry to break the news mate, but your integrated graphics will NOT run Bf2.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffRowley
      I'm sorry to break the news mate, but your integrated graphics will NOT run Bf2.
      Sh**. Well at least I got an answer, thanks.

I thought that with enough RAM I could do anything. What if I replaced the 2 512 slots with 1's for a total 2.5 gigs of ram (1 512 is built in).

I so can't believe that I can't do something.. install something to try and force it to run. I've heard of people running BF2 with non onboard video before.

Well how about BF one? Haha. I'm such a huge fan. I own the XBOX version and have the demo for 360... but its only a temporary fix.

Comment

Yeah, You graphics and your processor won't run it.

Comment

Well again, I do appreciate your help. I think I can return the game anyhow.

I just accidentally noticed on digg something about War Rock. I think the Korean beta is still running for a few more weeks... and I'm pretty sure the lower system requirements will allow me to run it.

I'm so stubborn its hard for me to accept defeat. At least I have a Battlefield ripoff game to play courtesy of our friends in Asia.

Any other suggestions of games (free or not) I could run with similar multi-player online madness would be met with lots of holiday cheer. I just discovered that all these PC games are cheaper than their 360 counterparts.

Comment

pretty funny, my friends laptop runs bf2-but its a miracle. here's the specs--

mobility x300 ati radeon
            1.6 GHz processor
            512 RAM
            5200 RPM hdd
            and his laptops got a virus.
            i find it funny that he can even run it.

Comment

Thats BS, grrrr. What is mine missing? I got a new gen dual core 2

He probably got the virus following EA's instructions to disable all processes before running BF2.

Comment

Originally posted by hydrallus
                Thats BS, grrrr. What is mine missing? I got a new gen dual core 2
                Your CPU is fine; some people may not be aware that Pentium M and Core CPUs are much faster than their clock speeds indicate when compared with a P4. Your Intel GMA 950 does not have "hardware transform & lighting" which all descrete graphics cards have these days (even bottom-of-the line ones like Radeon X300 and Nvidia's TurboCache and Quadro NVS cards). Intel's driver emulates this in software and some games can't handle that (there's a compatibilty list on Intel's website I believe).

Comment

hmm i dont know but Intels onboard graphics for laptops is getting better because of the launch of Vista they will need graphics that can support it now,

^ is his on board, and i remember another thread saying that someone with those graphics could Run BF2142 but for some reason not BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Scinto
                    hmm i dont know but Intels onboard graphics for laptops is getting better because of the launch of Vista they will need graphics that can support it now,
                    Their next-generation chipset (965 chipset with GMA 3000 I believe) is supposed to support hardware T&L so while it will probably still be slower than nVidia/ATI chips there shouldn't be as many compatibility problems.

Comment

Ya i have a
                      I have a Toshiba Satellite,
                      Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
                      System Memory 1015.0
                      Processor Speed 1595.9 x 2 (Centrino Duo)
                      DirectX Version 9.0c
                      Display Device Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family
                      Display Memory 128.0

Ive been able to run battlefield 2142, just not BF2. which sucks because I personally like BF2 more.
                      They I do have battlefield vietnam and that runs well with everything maxed and its not a bad game, so theres always that

Comment

Working...
                      X