BF2 and linux??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF2 and linux??

Like many people, I hate Windows. I have some time off around Christmas........so I'm thinking about clearing off my second HD, swapping drives, and installing Linux.

Does anybody here run linux as your primary OS?
    Which flavor of linux do you prefer?
    How do you run BF2?
    Anybody use Cedega?
    Any advice for a linux n00b?

Re: BF2 and linux??

Ubuntu Linux would be the way to go for me. OpenSuse as second.

Though BF2 will be a problem, I thought you could run it through Wine, but it won't be as good as on Windows. Expect a lot of problems and a lot lower FPS. Linux unfortunately isn't made for those Windows games.

Comment

Originally posted by Second Gunman
      Any advice for a linux n00b?
      Yes get plenty of tissues as you will have a nose bleed everytime you come to use it. Its a steep-ish learning curve, but i suppose nowadays it can be used easily. I havent used linux in a while, i used to have SuSE9.2 installed which was pretty good but i opted more for Debian based distros until i apt-get a_life-1.01a

Xandros Desktop is debian based and good for a newbie.

Good luck getting bf2 to work on it, like Sauron said its not really meant for windows based games.

Comment

I thought it might be something to keep me occupied during my two weeks off work...... I don't mind the steep learning curve. That's what makes it fun!

If anybody else has any input, I'd still like to hear it.

Comment

You can download an install image of Ubuntu from the www.ubuntu.com. It really is a great O/S--I use it at work, for presentations, collecting data, etc.

Having said that, you will not be able to make BF2 under linux and if you do, EA's lawyers will send you to to a cage Cuba.

Ubuntu, however, is incredibly easy to use. I've had to install a few programs via the command line (and I still have to figure out how to do it every time) but for the most part, you can just select packages for install from the Ubuntu "universe" as well as other packages and Ubuntu will install them, build the correct dependencies, etc.

Your best shot would be to "play" with Ubuntu by booting it from a CD (yes, you can do that without installing it to your HD) and get a little bit of the feel for the program. Of course, you'll then want to jump in with both feet.

Comment

Thanks for the info, megawhomertoo. I didn't realize that ubuntu would run off of a cd. I have a copy of knoppix here somewhere that will run off of a cd, but haven't gotten around to playing with it yet.

I don't think www.ubuntu.org is where you meant to send me, though. It looks like www.ubuntu.com is the right place. Just in case someone else is looking later.

I'm concerned about getting various games to run on a linux platform. For that reason, I'm considering trying a dual boot system also. I could always use a stripped down windows install for games and use linux for everything else. That might actually work pretty well.........Since I wouldn't be using windows for anything but games, I could only install the bare minimum of programs/drivers in windows. That might speed things up a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Second Gunman
              I don't think www.ubuntu.org is where you meant to send me, though. It looks like www.ubuntu.com is the right place. Just in case someone else is looking later.

I'm concerned about getting various games to run on a linux platform. For that reason, I'm considering trying a dual boot system also.
              Oops. Fixed the link. Hope the original didn't lead you to pron.

Dual boot would probably be a good option. 3-d gaming in linux is hmmm...probably ten years away? There are some games out there--warcraft 2, quake, diablo but not very many.

A second advantage of booting off the CD will be to determine whether your hardware functions (there are of driver issues with some hardware).

Comment

Working...
              X