Directional FPS Drop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Directional FPS Drop

This is a problem I have been experiencing since around about 1.3, to give you an example I was playing on Mashtuur City on 24/7 City Maps + Wake /Fear Us.

I'd been running around trying to get a game going with some of the Fu* guys, just messing about fragging and the like and was getting 40-50 FPS consistently. After a little while about 15 minutes whenever I looked in a specific direction I got like 0.1 FPS making it extremely unplayable.

As I mentioned I've been experiencing this, it is defiantly not due to many objects or players being in one direction.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any fixes?

Re: Directional FPS Drop

How is your ping rate when this happens?

Comment

Originally posted by oUtL@w
      How is your ping rate when this happens?
      Local server 20-40ms

Comment

Is the problem only with BF2 or does it happen in other games?
        Do you have any processes/services running in the background?

After reinstalling Windows, I've noticed that game seems to run faster. I'm not recommending reinstalling Windows, but some software running in the background may be hogging your resources.

I would try to upgrade the video card drivers and then reinstall BF2.

Let us know if you find a solution.

Comment

Originally posted by LT_SE7EN11
          Is the problem only with BF2 or does it happen in other games?
          Do you have any processes/services running in the background?

After reinstalling Windows, I've noticed that game seems to run faster. I'm not recommending reinstalling Windows, but some software running in the background may be hogging your resources.

I would try to upgrade the video card drivers and then reinstall BF2.

Let us know if you find a solution.
          It only occurs in BF2, well BF2142 as well, but that is really 6 and half a dozen.

I run XFire, Ventrilo, Saitek Driver Software, Razer Drivers and occasionally mIRC, although I have tried it without all of these processes and still experience it.

Comment

could heat be an issue?

Comment

sorry, im such a n00b, but what is FPS.. latency or something??

Comment

@righteousarcher, FPS means 'Frames Per Second'.

@EAGLE_18, I've experienced this for me it was caused by both the rendering of certain environments such as ones with allot of objects to shade eg. buildings. It's also caused by your computer retrieving data for the game from the page file, it will usually retrieve these files when needed at the beginning of a round you'll notice it will cease after a while as the data needed for the map is on the physical RAM rather than the page file.
                To fix this problem it's suggested you go into your system performance options located (Right click My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced tab - then click performance 'settings button' -> virtual memory -> set your desired drive to system managed size and you'll be prompted to reboot, do so.

Tell me if this improves anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Koavauxe
                  @EAGLE_18, I've experienced this for me it was caused by both the rendering of certain environments such as ones with allot of objects to shade eg. buildings. It's also caused by your computer retrieving data for the game from the page file, it will usually retrieve these files when needed at the beginning of a round you'll notice it will cease after a while as the data needed for the map is on the physical RAM rather than the page file.
                  To fix this problem it's suggested you go into your system performance options located (Right click My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced tab - then click performance 'settings button' -> virtual memory -> set your desired drive to system managed size and you'll be prompted to reboot, do so.

Tell me if this improves anything.
                  I'm 100% certain it is not many objects being rendered at one time. I play some PRMM today I played for around 30 minutes going to literally all of the CPs, after the said thirty minutes facing north toward the US Main Base became completely unplayable, facing south to the rest of the map was completely fine. Earlier in the game I had been facing that direction several times with roughly the same amount of people in the server.

Yeah I tried changing the virtual memory, it made no difference thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

I've noticed this as well. Happened during Karkand map last time (64 player).
                    THis has occured on both the 1.4 and 1.41 patches.

After some time, it randomly happens. Can happen after a single round, or after 8, and anything in between.

If you look in a certain direction, FPS drops considerably for about 60 degrees of view. Viewing any other direction is fine. It seems to occur when you look to where the largest throng of people are located (read: the current action parts)

My system is up to spec: 3 gigs of ram, 3.4 GHz processor, GeForce 6800 Ultra. Disconnecting and reconnecting does not fix this. Quitting entirely may, though I haven't tried going back into the same server yet.

It is highly annoying and somewhat reminds me of 2142's Titan play during the beta when everybody was assaulting the titan, massive and horrid lag + FPS drop.

Comment

I'm reviving this topic as I seem to suffer greatly.

Even playing in karkand it happens with increasing frequency. Turning in certain directions at different times totally brings the FPS down to unplayable levels. Unfortunately, it's usually when looking towards where the enemies are.

It's nothing thermal related and this only happens when playing online.

Running a GeForce 6800 Ultra w/ 256
                      Pentium 4 3.4 GHz Prescott w/ hyperthreading
                      Audigy 1 Gamer
                      Soyo Dragon Ultra Black Label 1.0 motherboard
                      3 Gigs corsair XMS ram.

Anybody have any suggestions on this?

Comment

Alt-tabbing out of the game and then back in has fixed this issue when it arises.

Comment

I used to get it, check your anti-aliasing settings.

6x AA will turn on wallhack mode for me, making everything seethrough including the players.

If you have 2xAA set in-game, and 4xAA set in the driver control panel, it will do all sorts of dodgy **** and usually, flat out fail. Check if you have the same AA settings in both BF2 and your drivers' control panel. Application Controlled also works.

If you want to know whether this will work, just run BF2 with no AA enabled whatsoever (control panel as well). The fps drop should have gone completely.

Comment

What are your full system specs?

What drivers are youy using for the gfx card & sound card?

Have you defragmented the HDD lately, have you got two seperate drives?

If so i suggest you put the page file on the other drive where windows is not present.

You state you shut down the additional processes in the background, but how many do you have running still after?

have you scanned you computer for adware, malware, viruses?

Comment

Working...
                            X