Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The dreaded reboot problem...

Hey guys,

I'm having some rebooting issues that are getting worse and worse. I've done a search on the forum, but all the problems are old, and this has been happening increasingly since the 1.41 patch. It's now to the point where when ever I start a game, single- or multi-player it doesn't even make it to the spawn screen before rebooting the computer.

Interestingly as far as my PC is concerned nothing has happened. No error logs, no BSoD, nothing. It used to happen every now and again, now I literally can't play the game.

For what it's worth -

System Specs:
    CPU - AMD Sempron 3200+
    GRAPHICS CARD - GeForce 7100
    RAM - 1Gb
    Latest Drivers installed (checked and double checked)
    OS - XP Pro
    Anti-Virus/firewall - AVG
    Internet connection - 2Mb ADSL

As I say, the odd thing is that it was initially, for at least 3 months, working fine, and it's been slowly deteriorating over the past few weeks. Every other game works fine, except for the demo of BF 2142 which plays for a while and then... reboots the PC. Sigh...

If anybody has got any suggestions then I'd love to hear them.

I've tried everything short of replacing hardware - doing a reinstall, going back to the 1.4 patch, downloading the 1.41 patch from a different location,temps are fine, fans are coming on, drivers are up-to-date, old ones make no difference, virus and malware scan done... I'm completely out of ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Ian

Re: The dreaded reboot problem...

The only thing standing out to me is that geforce 7100 - its wickedly underpowered for the game, and its possible later patches for the game dropped support for it. I'm amazed it ever ran BF2, so see if you can't borrow a friends' graphics card or buy a better one, I wouldnt be surprised if that solves the problem.

Comment

Ah yeah, I hadn't thought about that. I mean it worked fine with 1.4, occasional 3 second freezes, but nothing major. But yeah, it's not a great card...

I'll see if I can get another one from somewhere and try that.

Thanks.

Comment

If you haven't done so do the following,

Right click My Computer and select Properties then click on the Advanced tab. Under Startup and Recovery click on Settings and uncheck Automatically restart and OK your way out.

Now the next time it restarts you should get a blue screen with an error message on it. If you do post it back here.

Comment

When was the last time that you cleaned the inside of your case out? I bet it's dusty in there, or you PSU is on it's way out.

As for the 7100, I'm sure it will be fine, I used to play BF2 on a 5700 or something and it was fine, then a 6600 GT so I don't see why the 7100 should be the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Bloodsport
            As for the 7100, I'm sure it will be fine, I used to play BF2 on a 5700 or something and it was fine, then a 6600 GT so I don't see why the 7100 should be the problem.
            Because the 7100 is inferior to a 5700 and a 6600GT. Just because its a 7 series card doesn't make it immediately better than a 5 or 6 series card. A 6600GT is about 5 times quicker.

Comment

Ah OK, my bad.

Comment

Well, I fixed it. I removed the graphics card, and just used the onboard (which is a 6100 sharing the main RAM) and all the problems have vanished.

It was getting so bad towards the end that it was freezing just on Windows, but I guess I've overheated the card and fried it or something.

Thanks a ton for all the help though guys.

Oh and just in case somebody reads this later looking for solutions to a similar problem, I did uncheck the Auto Restart, and I still didn't get a blue screen. Very odd.

Comment

Working...
                X