Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recycling Levels with mods WITHOUT copying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recycling Levels with mods WITHOUT copying?

I installed several mods, some of which support the original Battlefield 2 maps as well. However, the mods' readme files come with the instruction to 'copy all BF2 Levels into the mod's Levels folder' to play those maps. However, as this would take several extra gigabytes for each mod, I was wondering if it's also possible to expand Battlefield 2's Level path, to include/point to the original location of the levels, thereby eliminating the need to copy them?

For example, in the WCC mod, I found the following statement in the 'Init.con' file:
    Code:
    game.addModPath Mods/BF2/WCC
    bf2Engine.addModPath Mods/BF2/WCC
    Does this statement actually do something? Or perhaps there's a similar statement that adds Levels from a given location to the mod's pool of levels?

I was thinking something along the lines of making a mod, purely composed of the common BF2 levels, and then being able to reference this mod with all other mods I have installed. So, WCC would then in turn refer to the mod:
    Code:
    game.addModPath Mods/Levels
    bf2Engine.addModPath Mods/Levels
    which would load all levels, along with the mod. Would anyone know more about whether such a construct is possible, i.e. have multiple level folders loaded in one go? THanks in advance!

Re: Recycling Levels with mods WITHOUT copying?

The only way I know of to reuse maps without copying them is to have them in the base mods\bf2\levels folder. Any other mods can use those maps just by copying the <mapname>\info folders without needing to copy the zip files. If a map needs some minor modifications (e.g. different soldiers) you can copy and modify the server.zip and it will load the client.zip from the mods\bf2\levels\<mapname> folder.

Comment

Re: Recycling Levels with mods WITHOUT copying?

Great, thanks for the tip m8!

Comment

Working...
      X