Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do Powerful computers have a noticeable advantage!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do Powerful computers have a noticeable advantage!!

Originally posted by Monkmonkman
    In my experience...

Ram = Loading
    Hard Drive = Verifying Client Data

Or some combination of that.

I am one of those who is usually the first one in the game, which makes it handy to get into the F35 on Wake, or Dalian, and have the airfield (Wake), or reactor (Dalian) capped in 30 seconds. As soon as my boots hit the ground, my 4 clanmates spawn on me, and off we go.

Comment

my computer is >= my roomates and his always loads like 10 seconds before me. everything on my computer is better except processor and he gets him before me. my gfx card is a series higher and we have the same amount of ram. so i can only attribute the load time to processor and slight differences in timings/hard drive specs

Comment

i have a shat computer, but when i play on better computers i turn the stuff like dynamic lighting and stuff down or off. im afraid of dark places

Comment

Not just powerful computers

In a 32-player server I am usually somewhere between the 2nd to 6th person in a server. I have what I consider a fairly average rig:

P550 3.4 GHz w/ Hyperthreading
          2 Gigs DDR
          AGP8x GeForce 6600 256MB
          SATA 200 Gig Hard Drive

I run everything on medium with AA at 2x. You see i also use this computer to do HUGE statistical calculations (where there are hundreds of thousands of calculations per model) and so if I can get the computer to run the models faster by 10% then I can essentially get 10% more done in a day. It just so happens that getting the stats to run faster also makes games run faster. I also own a small computer manufacturing company so I know a lot about Hardware and Windows optimization. And no I never overclock. I need a VERY stable machine so I run everything stock. Here is my take based on my experiences:

1 - Your class of processor or video card is great (PCIe, 512 megs of RAM) but there are other "hidden" and "fogotten-about" computer parts that no one seems to care about and large computer manufacturing companies don't report to you. For example, my hard drive has 16 megs of cache versus the usual 2, 4 or 8 Megs. This squeezes a bit more performance out of reading and writing to the HD. See the big computer manufacturers tell you the big details but leave out the small ones that matter and add up.

2 - There is a setting in the Windows registery that "erases" all data stored in virtual memory at shutdown. I won't tell you where b/c I won't be responsible for anyone killing their computers. It adds about 2 minutes to the shutdown process but I know that whenever I restart my computer I am starting with blank virtual memory. This is a great thing just before you do something data intensive like gaming.

3 - Sometimes raw processing power can't be beaten. I have a 3.4 GHz processor and in my own tests it outperforms some dual core processors operating at lower frequencies. My processor is "out of date" according to some computer manufacturers but sometimes raw processing power can't be beaten.

The point here is that a lot of people brag about their computers to me and are surprised to find I'm running such an average rig (I do afterall own a computer manufacturing company and can build any computer I want at wholesale prices). My advice is don't spend a lot of money on the ultimate computer rig. A friend of mine did this and even though the stats of his machine are far beyond mine, I get into the game quicker than him and run the same settings with equal framerate.

Good luck all...

Comment

i would say its more like the people with ****ty old computers put themselves at a disadvantage.

you'll probably find that guy who whinged last time about a thread like this saying everyone with a fast computer should be forced to wait another 2mins for the game to start and went crying off to the dice forum to express himself LOL

Comment

Originally posted by zipp0r
              you'll probably find that guy who whinged last time about a thread like this saying everyone with a fast computer should be forced to wait another 2mins for the game to start and went crying off to the dice forum to express himself LOL
              LMAO. That is quite true actually. Until I finally got my new computer I had given up on FPS games altogether because I hated playing them on low everything at 800X600 and still lagging=death. The day I got my computer in I bought this game and I am in love with it right now. I also didn't mention that my Hard drive was a 16mb cache one as well.
              I'm not throwing a plug out here for a company, but my computer is a gamer infinity pro 7900 from cyberpower pc. I am not affiliated with them but just thought someone might check them out, because they are a lot cheaper than DELL and Alienware.

Comment

*sniff* *sniff* Ya'll gonna make me cry. My poor video card burnt up while I was gone...now I have to suffer with this piece of crap...all I can run is low settings!

Comment

Obviously faster high end pc's have advantage over old pc's.
                  Thats common sense, if you have 512MB of ram, and your opponent has 2 gigs, your laging, hes not, your gunna die.

Comment

Originally posted by Neptune
                    doesnt it load fast according to your hard drive speed or something?
                    I have a 5400rpm notebook drive (which is even slower than a 5400rpm desktop drive) and still am one of the first into a map. I would definitely say RAM is the most important factor in map loading time.

Comment

The more powerfull computer you have = higher FPS = higher detail = easier to spot enemies = easier to get kills.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggie52
                        The more powerfull computer you have = higher FPS = higher detail = easier to spot enemies = easier to get kills.
                        true dat ^

with my old rig, i was lucky to get a 1:1 kd ratio...nowadays with my new rig, im getting like 4:1 or 5:1 kd ratios

Comment

Originally posted by blade.verzilli TF
                          nah everything high,
                          turn lighting to low,and dynamic light off,and shadows.
                          thats what i use ,great for sniping
                          Verzilli, with dynamic lighting set to off, doesn't that mean you don't see muzzle flashes etc?

I have everything set to medium, except lighting on low, dynamic shadows off, (or low, can't remember).

As far as loading faster with a decent PC, definitely true, and more rem seems to help with loading in quicker. (At home, by the time I can spawn and actually move, I'm way behind everyone else)

Comment

you'll also notice that people with an awesome rig will tend to have really good stats. my system specs are in my sig. the thing about getting an uber rig is you gota spend alot of money. i build my computers, but it still ends up cost me an arm and a leg. i originally had an athlon 64 4000+ and a geforce 7800gtx in this computer, i bought my x2 4400 and 7900gtx back in june for almost $1000. i was pissed off a month later when amd lowered the prices of cpus. i did managed to sell my cpu and video card to my sisters boyfriend for $450. i tihnk what im trying to say is, having a high end rig is not the best thing in the world if you dont have endless pile of cash to throw around. im saving up to build a new dx 10 system for when there are alot more dx10 games released. though, im gona get an xbox 360 first. it may sound like im rich, but im jsut barely scraping by (really wish i didnt have to ahve the best of everything)

Comment

Working...
                            X