Smoke On - Sets the new standard in Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoke On - Sets the new standard in Movies

You guys need to see the blockbuster of a movie.
    No it's not BF related, but it's a movie that needs to be seen.

November 9th, 2006 marks another first in machinima history. To my knowledge, it’s the first time that a machinima production has been shown on a 40 by 70 foot movie screen at a 400 seat theatre. The event took place in Las Vegas.

The movie is called 'Smoke On'. It's a 50 minute demonstration of online formation flying by The Virtual Thunderbirds using a modded Lock On: Modern Air Combat flight simulator game. The premiere was a private screening with about 50 friends, family, former members of the Virtual Thunderbirds, an Honorary Thunderbird, as well as a former pilot of the actual USAF Thunderbird Team in attendance.

The Virtual Thunderbirds began in the spring of 2004 with a group of flight simulator enthusiasts, and it has since evolved into what it is today. Many of the pilots selected for the demo team are real world aviators with thousands of hours of jet experience, both military and civilian and they range in ages from 23 to 52

Kris “Lawndart” Langdell created this incredible video showcasing The Virtual Thunderbirds. Kris is also a member of the The Virtual Thunderbirds and in real life, he is a professional pilot, flying the Embraer 145 for Mesa Airlines.

The movie is 1.2 gigs in size and will be available in 4 parts. The movie contains essentially an entire High Show (about 38 manoeuvres) from multiple angles and cameras and additionally; start-ups, taxing, a long intro sequence and approx 8 minutes of extras after the flying portion of the show is over. Total time: 49 minutes and 54 seconds (in its current format).

How this team is able to perform such precision online formation flying is simply amazing. I cannot begin to imagine the skill level and the many hours of practice required to fly with this type to precision.

Normally in machinima movies, the creator of the movie is the sole star, characters are simply there as part of the story line. Smoke On is unique, in that both the characters and movie creator are the stars of the show. You won't be able to mention one without the other.

From what I've seen on the trailer and from people who have seen it, this movie is going to blow your socks off. I'm sure we will be seeing this movie next year at the 2007 Machinima Film Festival.

I know, I’ll be burning my copy to DVD and watching it on my own big screen.

You can watch the trailer or download the full movie here

It is just over a gig in size, but don't let that scare you, it is worth the download.

Re: Smoke On - Sets the new standard in Movies

Only watched the trailer and it looks very impressive, don't really have the time to download it though.

Comment

where the hell is the download

edit: got it

Comment

WOW that was INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its worth the DOWNLOAD TRUST ME!!!!!!

Comment

I saw one of thier movies before this, they are truly pro. Got Lock On myself because of them (and the fact that I love aircraft ).

Comment

SmokeOn is pretty cool, especially when you know how tough precise flying in Lock-On is. A "must-see" for aircraft fans!

For all of you who came on the taste to air shows: some russians did a pretty similar show with MIGs and Su's in 2004. Looks a little less good but their skill is still impressive too.

cheers
            Mandos_2k

Comment

The intro looked cool but not good enough for me to download over a 1gb file for. When your flying that close together theres not much room for error. I wonder how many times someone lagged and killed everyone. :laugh:

Comment

For registered members, I have the movie now streamed at very high quality settings. I doubt you will be able to tell the stream from the original, when watching on your pc monitor.

I had to restrict it to registered members to control bandwidth usage.

Registration takes 10-15 seconds and it's free.

Comment

hey Crazycanuck do you have xfire?

Comment

based on blue angles?

Comment

well they are kinda like the blue angles but the Blue Angles are Navy Based Thunderbird's are Air force based Blue Angles Fly the F-18 wile Thunderbird's fly F-16

Comment

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G

Worth the 1 gig download totally. Its completely awesome. Such amazing formations. The skill and precision these guys have is godlike.

Comment

Found it quite boring for some reason

Comment

Originally posted by Texsun
                            hey Crazycanuck do you have xfire?
                            Yup

X-Fire cr4zycanuck (not on to much though)
                            MSN canoe36@hotmail.com (on when I'm on)

Originally posted by Blades
                            A-M-A-Z-I-N-G

Worth the 1 gig download totally. Its completely awesome. Such amazing formations. The skill and precision these guys have is godlike.
                            Many of them are pilots in real life, commercial planes and military jets. Some have put as much as 2,000 hours of practice into this.

Comment

The missing man formation gave me a kind of a chill....great movie.

Comment

Working...
                              X