Linux Server problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Server problems

Hi there, I have access to a server sitting behind a hardware firewall which i am hoping to run BF2 on

The server has an internal address 192.168.52.1 (the NICS actual IP) and the firewall ( a checkpoint firewall) has a NAT rule that translates anything recieved on the public address to the internal one stated above..Now, all seems to be fine with this configuration I have tcpdumps set up at the Internet and LAN interfaces of the firewall and also on the game server itself....and I can ping through and see it arrive at all interfaces, perform the NAT and forge a successful return path, I can ssh on to the box successfully using the external IP so the NAT and firewall rules are fine..

However, when I launch BF2, I see three 'udp 46' packets arriving on all interfaces, but thats it, nothing happens and the game then reports back that it was unable to connect to server ....

What is supposed to happen next at a network level? a packet willl have to go back to my client to tell it that it has successsfully connected, but im getting nothing ... I have tried setting the ServerIP and interfaceIP variables in the config file to the public IP and the servers internal IP and every combination of those two but to no avail......is there something im missing here ?......why wont the server talk back to my client ......PS there is no host based firewall running on this game server at the moment and the box is a red hat linux box

what can i try next ?

any help would be greatly appreciated

Re: Linux Server problems

Well, have you tried joining servers that are runnin non linux servers?
    u got anti-virus?

Comment

Thanks for your reply

I can join every other server i try! there is nothing wrong with my client ....my server doesnt appear in the list so I use the "connect to IP " button to manually define the IP address and port of my server

Im not sure what you mean when you say have I connected to non linux servers, whilst yes I have, i dont see the relevance of this

cheers

Comment

is there a command line setting for bf2 where you can specify your servers wan ip?
        "Crunch's First Officer"
        twitter: @signaprime

Comment

Are there any Server experts on here, I notice that the main focus of these forums is Client based issues.....does anybody know any good server forums or somewhere I can get help with these type of questions

Cheers

Comment

Are you sure there are no default rules on the gameserver that block traffic on certain ports? Or anywhere else in the link from your gameserver to the internet?

I would probably check each port and send some test traffic on those ports to and from the server.

I agree that TBF2 is not the most knowledgeable place for server setup, though perhaps the Server Owner's Lounge-subform may contain better info. Haven't been there. Don't know other forums that are more technical though, wish I did.

Comment

Working...
            X