7900 gtx 512 X2 or 8800GT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7900 gtx 512 X2 or 8800GT?

As title? Should I sell my 7900's and purchase a 8800GT with the money? Or should I wait till the initial problems etc are ironed out and the price drops?

Re: 7900 gtx 512 X2 or 8800GT?

Originally posted by Bloodsport
    As title? Should I sell my 7900's and purchase a 8800GT with the money? Or should I wait till the initial problems etc are ironed out and the price drops?
    you probably wont notice the performance increase since your current setup rocks. wait a few months for new 8000 series cards.

if you are looking to upgrade pick up an opty 165 at newegg for $160, then clock it rather easily to 2.7 and above.

Comment

Maybe wait a bit, your setup is already top of the line, wait for vista and dx10, then buy some more ram and get the best available sx10 card out there.

Comment

Well after Christmas I'm getting a Conroe E6600 and some Corsair Dominator RAM. Not sure what board though but it looks like the EVGA effort. Just wondering about the GFX though, but yeah it makes sence waiting for some more to come out.

Comment

I dont see what the point of upgrading to a new dx10 card when nothing of dx10 is out and isnt gonna use the full power of the card till like next year

Comment

Originally posted by mrpoptart01
            I dont see what the point of upgrading to a new dx10 card when nothing of dx10 is out and isnt gonna use the full power of the card till like next year
            Perhaps I just like having a large E-Penis? I dunno, but I've always been a few steps behind technology wise and for one I thought that I should be up to date(ish). Thing is - I don't see myself playing anything else then BF2 for a few months too, and my current monitor doesn't support anything higher then 1280 * 1024. Seems to me like my two cards are a bit wasted on that. I think I'll just save up for a nice Dell 24" widescreen LCD monitor

Comment

Originally posted by Bloodsport
              Perhaps I just like having a large E-Penis? I dunno, but I've always been a few steps behind technology wise and for one I thought that I should be up to date(ish). Thing is - I don't see myself playing anything else then BF2 for a few months too, and my current monitor doesn't support anything higher then 1280 * 1024. Seems to me like my two cards are a bit wasted on that. I think I'll just save up for a nice Dell 24" widescreen LCD monitor
              good call, you're 100% correct!

Comment

Um, I think your 7900's are fine, even overkill with only a 1280x1024 resolution. I think you should wait to upgrade your GPU until you truly have to upgrade, which is when you can't get a good framerate with max settings on some game. Right now, I think you can play any game max just fine, and it's most likely going to be like that until Crysis comes out.

Comment

Get the new monitor. I upgraded from a 17" CRT to a 20.1" LCD. I have to recommend against a widescreen monitor, though. Many, if not most, games do not support true widescreen gaming. My new monitor hits 1600x1200 res and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Unless you plan on watching movies more than playing games, 4:3 FTW.
                  Also, almost all benchmarks and comparisons I have seen show that one 8800 is better than any single card out. They are not better than two high-end cards in SLI or Crossfire, though. Stick with what you've got. I, on the other hand, will benefit greatly by upgrading from a single 7800GT to an 8800GTS. The 7800GT isn't even shown on any comparisons anymore, it's a dead and unsupported card.

TRU

Comment

Working...
                  X