BF2 patch 1.4 and Win2k SP2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF2 patch 1.4 and Win2k SP2

Guys, I used to play on W2k SP2 (BF2 patch 1.3), then I tried XP for some testing, got endlessly disgusted with them and with great "Hoooray" I returned back to W2k SP2. A bit tweaked, added 48bit addressing from SP3 and such stuff
    Anyway, that is not the point. The slipstreamed install was the same as I used before (burned on CD) and suddently, even v1.0 original BF2 working flawlessly for me, as soon as I install a BF2 patch 1.40, the game always freeze when it should start, even singleplayer. Sounds countinue to work, but mouse not move at any cost.

Task man and kill the app is only one option left. That works flawlessly too... :|:

Now there I hawe some questions...

1) is there anyone with W2k SP2 and running BF2 patch v1.4?
    2) it could be with some broken files (my HDD had a problem recently and I moved the installed windows on other drive, yet could be, that these DX9 update files can be corrupted, I will investigate that futher) - but reinstalling windows is IMHO last resort of action... Anyone got a list of the need OS files, so I could ask friend for them and try replace them to make the game work?

Reinstalling the BF2 did not help a single bit. Probably the DX9 update won't overwrite existing files, but that it just my quess... :hmm:

Re: BF2 patch 1.4 and Win2k SP2

I didnt even know that windows s2k can run bf2, i'd try bringing this up with ea games they probobly have tons of fixes for this.

Comment

Well, it certainly worked pretty well (and tad faster that under XP, surprisingly) with all versions including patch 1.3 - I don't really know where the fault is now (as I posted, I have some dubts about the windows install I using now), but other games like CoD2 working just beautifully, so...

WTF? :hmm:

Comment

I haven't run SP2 with games but BF2 1.4 works fine on Win2k SP4. Why don't you want to run the latest SP? If you hacked the Win2k install that could certainly be your problem.

Comment

SP4 have few serious issues and I will not use it anymore. Ever.
          SP2 is fastest and yep, I hacked even shell32.dll, and what? As long as you know what you doing, you are pretty on the safe side anyway

And quess what - problem is fixed. My controls.con file has 0 bytes (!), so no wonder BF2 get pretty confused and won't allow my mice to move, lol :laugh:

So, Battlefield 2 patch 1.4 including run pretty neat under Win2k SP2

Hooray!

(and CURSE my damn harddrive)

Comment

Are you able to install Windows patches on SP2? I have a server at work that runs SP3 and it can't be patched. Do you fool the updater to think you have SP4 or do you hack the patches to install them?

Comment

First at all, I do not install ANY updates. I rely on FireFox and my SPI HW FireWall Much safer that trust M$ - do you know? Vista got cracked just the first freaking day, so... Make your pick.

Second, all I need was to disable WFP (Windows File Protection) and replace the atapi.sys with atapi.sys from SP3 + reg tweak = 48bit addressing. Then patch the comdlg32.dll to get big open/save file requesters and then patch system32.dll to get big directory choose requesters and that was about it

Of couse including couple of optimalizations and stuff, but that is all

Comment

Working...
              X