This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a rig

Hello everyone. I would like to see if anyone can give me some help on this, for i have no idea what i am doing. My goal is to purchase a rig in the pricerange of $1000-1250. What I expect of this setup: Be able to run BF2 on all medium/high (Preferably high/high) settings, on at least a 40+ player server, no FPS issues, etc. I do not need much information on cooling, RAM, Hard drives, etc.... Those are things I have enough knowledge on. My main focus on parts will be: What CPU+Motherboard to purchase, what graphics card to buy, etc..... Currently, I have no money, I am 16, have no job, etc...But, I have always pulled through with things- I expect to make a LOT of moolah this winter, and I am confident about the outcome because last winter i made 500 dollars in one day snow shoveling. BUT- that does not meen I will go anywhere higher than the pricerange I have set. Thank you for your help. Also, since I may not have the money until a couple months from now, what parts should I expect price drops in?

AOL INSTANT MESSENGER: WHOASHABUTIEDC7
    HOTMAIL: RIDETHELIGHTNINGXIII90@HOTMAIL.COM

Re: Buying a rig

gimme old one =]

Comment

ok heres mine for 1000:
      COSAIR 1GB (2x512MB) DDR2 DC(ram)
      AMDTHLON 64 X2 4800+(cpu)
      LITE-ON 16X DVD/R DVD BURNER(disk drive)
      POWMAX CP803 CASE(case)
      WD Cavier RE 160GB 7200RPM SATA(hd)
      ABIT AN9 32X Socket AM2 Nvidia nForce 590 w/ SLI (mobo)
      2 eVGA 512-P2-N548-TX Geforce 7600GS 512MB GDDR2-graphics card (SLI Mode)
      Rosewill RCX-Z1 92MM-heatsink

Comment

cool thanks, keep the rigs coming! by the way, what settings do you play on?

Comment

Get an Anthlon 6400 3.4 ghz

Comment

wow
            lol>? dual core? your crazy!

Comment

ya that whole system for only 1000... dual core...dual video cards umm i think the price would be a lot higher.

Comment

I'd say get the 7900gt for the price of 2 7600gs

Comment

the right decision would to pick up an e6600 or other core2duo.... although the easiest build would be a SOCKET 939 AMD ATHLON 64 BUILD. Just make sure to get 2 gb of ram

I would get:

opteron 165
                  dfi or asus mobo socket 939
                  2 GB (2 x 1gb sticks) of ddr ram (pc 4000 preferably)
                  7900 gs
                  250 gb sata2 hdd
                  600 w PSU

If you go core2duo, you would need ddr2 ram.

make sure you go dual core though

As far as price drops go...
                  "x" video card now is not nearly as valuable 3 months from now.
                  RAM is crazy expensive right now, not sure if it will go down though anytime soon
                  s939 processors have already taken huge price cuts, an opty 165 is only 160 at newegg right now, with good steppings, its crazy, glad i got one.

Comment

But I thought BF2 is not able to utilize dual core correctly? and 1.8ghz for opteron 165, i meen wow...i already have a 1.8ghz processor and it SUCKS with BF2...

Comment

Originally posted by Nadokings
                      ok heres mine for 1000:
                      COSAIR 1GB (2x512MB) DDR2 DC(ram)
                      Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.6 GHz
                      LITE-ON 16X DVD/R DVD BURNER(disk drive)
                      POWMAX CP803 CASE(case)
                      WD Cavier RE 160GB 7200RPM SATA(hd)
                      ABIT AN9 32X Socket AM2 Nvidia nForce 590 w/ SLI (mobo)
                      2 eVGA 512-P2-N548-TX Geforce 7600GS 512MB GDDR2-graphics card (SLI Mode)
                      Rosewill RCX-Z1 92MM-heatsink
                      INTEL....is best right now and cheap.

Comment

Antec Sonata II case because it is a VERY well built case and comes with a decent 450W PSU - $100 ($50 after $50 rebate)

HIS x1950xt for $269 ($249 after $20 rebate) You nVidia devotees can flame away, but the x1950xt is a speed demon at the right price.

Core2 duo E6400 $217 (6600 w/2M cache per core v 1M/core is not worth the extra ~$100 imho)

Motherboard: plan on spending ~$80-$120, and which one will depend on what's out there for the price at the exact time that you buy
                        edit: i would lean towards this ABIT mATX board if I was plopping down my hard earned dough:

Memory: 2x1gb (because you need 2 gigs) Corsair 800mhz for $269 ($229 w/$40 rebate)

Hard drive: Samsung 250gb for $71 (I've never had one fail, they are reasonably fast, very, very quiet, and have a GREAT price. If you're brave, get two, stripe them, and get super quick 500gb capacity for $142.)

Optical drive: Samsung (duh ) DVDR/RW for $32

$100 case
                        120 mobo
                        269 mem
                        269 gpu
                        217 cpu
                        71 hd
                        32 optical
                        -----------

Total price: $1078 plus shipping (assuming you go for a high-mid end mobo at $120). Mail the frickering rebates in, and total cost will be $968; use them to buy an extra 120mm fan for the case, and a Zalman CPU cooler and a Zalman gpu cooler (vf900CU), or buy that extra hd and stripe them for raptor-like data transfers.

For just over a thousand bucks, the battlefield is your oyster.

Comment

Working...
                        X