Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update Server on BF2 is only showing 30 or so servers

Hi,
    Let me first start off by saying I've been playing Battlefield 2 since it first came out. I've also built my own pc and know a bit about computer networking; basically, I know my way around hardware and software.

Up until last week, I could play Battlefield 2, Spec Forces, Euro Forces, and Armored Fury without many problems aside from the occasional disconnect.
    But, recently after I installed the latest drivers for my Invidia 6800xt vid card and Realtek on-board sound, I've noticed a problem with Battlefield 2.

Whenever I start up the game, I select the multiplayer option. I then choose to update the server list, but instead of seeing hundreds of servers show up, I only see a couple dozen. I can't figure out what might have happened. So, I did a manual uninstall of the game and all of its addons. I cleared the regedit files, my drivers, etc. etc. etc. I did a fresh install of the game, downloaded the latest patch to 1.4, installed my add-ons, loaded the patch, etc. (in what I think was the correct order - bf2, bf spec forces, patch 1.4).

Then, I started up the game again. I selected the multiplayer option. I selected update server list and still only a couple dozen servers show up. That's with all filters turned off, so a lot more than just a couple dozen should be showing up.

I've contacted my ISP; which is Comcast. They tested my line for connectivity and said it was good. So, I've attached a file showing you my hardware setup, etc. Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Below are specs for my pc:

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 01/02/06 09:32:54 Ver: 08.00.12
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3700+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.2GHz
    Memory: 2048MB RAM
    Page File: 271MB used, 3668MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 XT
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce 6800 XT
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Display Memory: 256.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (85Hz)
    Driver Date/Size: 10/22/2006 12:22:00, 4527488 bytes

Description: Realtek AC97 Audio
    Default Sound Playback: Yes
    Default Voice Playback: Yes
    Type: WDM
    Driver Name: ALCXWDM.SYS
    Driver Version: 5.10.0000.6180 (English)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    WHQL Logo'd: Yes
    Date and Size: 10/13/2006 17:31:00, 4022528 bytes

A quick update:

Like I said above, after I let the servers update only a few dozen show up. All of them with the ping of 0 (zero). I attempted to connect to one, it failed, and a message opened reading, "you have failed to connect. please check your network settings and try again". So, I'm thinking this might be a port issue, or at the very least a networking issue of some sort.

I still can't figure out what's the matter since I've not changed anything on my network config settings.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Update Server on BF2 is only showing 30 or so servers

Do you have the 1.4 patch installed?

Comment

Dang what specs where you playing it on

Comment

Originally posted by JohnGrimm88
        Do you have the 1.4 patch installed?
        Yes, before any of this began to happen I had the 1.4 patch installed.

Then, after this began to happen, I did a full manual uninstall, reinstalled the game and the 1.4 full patch.

Still, I'm only seeing about 60 servers at most - with no filters applied. All of the servers have a ping of 0 (zero). I try to connect to any of them and I receive the following message:

"you have failed to connect. please check your network settings and try again"

Now, I'm really flummoxed, since I've not made any changes to my network settings on my pc, or BF2.

Originally posted by Zanzibar_rocker
        Dang what specs where you playing it on
        I was playing on mostly high settings with, I think, 2 set on medium. Overall gameplay is smooth and looks great. Barely the occasional hiccup of lag. In total, I invested under $900 for all of the hardware (I already had the Windows XP Pro OS on disk), then built the pc from scratch, and I most likely saved myself a thousand bucks by not buying a pre-built pc. I can tell you more if you need additional info. I know what to look for and how to build pc's. Give me a shout if you want.

Comment

Just to let everyone know the status of this thread:

So, last week, I ended up manually uninstalling all things related to BF2, including EA Link. Afterward, I installed BF2, then BF2 Special Forces. I patched up to 1.4. I was able to update and find 100s of servers again. Personally, I think what happened was when I updated my video driver. I've seen a few other posts that allude to this happening. And, since I had just updated my drivers just before these problems occurred I consider it too much of a coincidence for anything else.

Thanks for all your help everyone!

Comment

Working...
          X