Supply Box Out Of Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supply Box Out Of Control

I love BF2, but this stupid game item really pisses me off.

It's a magical box, which when dropped by an enemy commander on a tank, allows the tank to repair itself while I hammer it with AT rockets, which does nothing, and I run out of ammo.

A magical box, which when dropped by an enemy commander onto his assets, be it a UAV, Scan or Artillery piece, somehow undoes my damage in a few seconds, restoring it to operating capacity. Playing Spec Ops for the sole purpose of spending the entire round taking out commander assets is a real pain in the ***. First you have to sneak in to do the dirty deed, after perhaps running into some resistance on the way, using up valuable time, then bravely planting C4 on the targets. Boom! Good job. Problem is, you're out of C4, and the commander simply drops a magical supply box and Voila! the UAV is up and running. Sure I can sit beside the box and resupply in response, but in many cases, that is quite a risky proposition after they know you are there.
    So you blow it up again. OH! It's another supply box! Rinse and repeat.

Where is the penalty to the other team for losing their assets? EA has put 2 classes out of a job pretty much by including the magic supply box - Spec Ops & Engineer.

As an engineer, I would love to fix assets all day if given the chance, or vehicles, etc. I could defend our assets against would-be sabatouers, but no! The confounded magical box takes my job away by dropping out of the sky to do my job for me! Not cool.

When I first started BF2 long ago, I don't remember it being so rampant with the use of the Supply Box. There were actually crews of Demolitionists invading the Uncap Base (thats right! Oh teh noez! The uncap!) and blowing up stuff, and the defenders who would respond to defend/repair them.

Now almost 2 years later, there is not much of that. Take away an enemy commander's toys and he simply takes a supply box that should be put to use for the troops (man, how many times have I asked for supply and not got it because of this, hmm?), and uses it to repair his own stuff so he can play.

Also, to make it worse for these two classes now out of a job, is some servers seem to have 'self-repairing' assets. I don't know if this is a server variable, or mod, but some servers after you blow up their stuff, in about 1 minute it resets and is ready for use - without repair or supply box. That is even worse.

I'm just ranting here of course, EA is done with BF2 and won't be patching or trying to improve the game anymore. They have their money and they're running with it. Too bad they haven't learned from Valve and their games success because they wanted user opinions and went out of their way many times to improve the games they had, even after the sale was made long before - Valve has my loyalty and trust.

So sadly, I'll have to sit idly by and watch myself and my teammates suffer constant no-skill artillery, self-repairing vehicles, etc and can't do anything about it - worthwhile that is.

Now I know why I play Infantry Only servers most of the time now.. you don't have to deal with that crap.

Re: Supply Box Out Of Control

It's a magical box, which when dropped by an enemy commander on a tank, allows the tank to repair itself while I hammer it with AT rockets, which does nothing, and I run out of ammo.
    Take out the box first, maybe?

A magical box, which when dropped by an enemy commander onto his assets, be it a UAV, Scan or Artillery piece, somehow undoes my damage in a few seconds, restoring it to operating capacity. Playing Spec Ops for the sole purpose of spending the entire round taking out commander assets is a real pain in the ***. First you have to sneak in to do the dirty deed, after perhaps running into some resistance on the way, using up valuable time, then bravely planting C4 on the targets. Boom! Good job. Problem is, you're out of C4, and the commander simply drops a magical supply box and Voila! the UAV is up and running. Sure I can sit beside the box and resupply in response, but in many cases, that is quite a risky proposition after they know you are there.
    Yeah, but now his tanks/troops on the frontline aren't getting any help. So all the AT lot won't be getting your first listed problem. Plus you're still getting points and if you're quick enough you can use a 'nade to blow it up before it fixes up the stuff.

Where is the penalty to the other team for losing their assets? EA has put 2 classes out of a job pretty much by including the magic supply box - Spec Ops & Engineer.
    They lose their assets. Plus they have to waste supplys on their assets, if there aren't any dedicated engineers.

As an engineer, I would love to fix assets all day if given the chance, or vehicles, etc. I could defend our assets against would-be sabatouers, but no! The confounded magical box takes my job away by dropping out of the sky to do my job for me! Not cool.
    Again, the commander should be engineer and use the supplies for frontline troops. It's hindering his team using supplies for his own stuff.

When I first started BF2 long ago, I don't remember it being so rampant with the use of the Supply Box. There were actually crews of Demolitionists invading the Uncap Base (thats right! Oh teh noez! The uncap!) and blowing up stuff, and the defenders who would respond to defend/repair them.
    Everything, ever....in the world....in general.....has always been better in the past. That's just how humans are i guess.

Now almost 2 years later, there is not much of that. Take away an enemy commander's toys and he simply takes a supply box that should be put to use for the troops (man, how many times have I asked for supply and not got it because of this, hmm?), and uses it to repair his own stuff so he can play.
    See, the enemy spec ops has done damage to your team even if the assets are getting repaired back. Plus i've said it before, it's bad commanding.

Also, to make it worse for these two classes now out of a job, is some servers seem to have 'self-repairing' assets. I don't know if this is a server variable, or mod, but some servers after you blow up their stuff, in about 1 minute it resets and is ready for use - without repair or supply box. That is even worse.
    :|:

I'm just ranting here of course, EA is done with BF2 and won't be patching or trying to improve the game anymore. They have their money and they're running with it. Too bad they haven't learned from Valve and their games success because they wanted user opinions and went out of their way many times to improve the games they had, even after the sale was made long before - Valve has my loyalty and trust.
    Yeah, too bad CSS gets boring after 10 minutes. Other stuff from them isn't that bad though.

Now I know why I play Infantry Only servers most of the time now.. you don't have to deal with that crap.
    Yeah take the easy way out. It's like natural selection, stuff like this will only leave the good players in non-IO mode. So the game will be more fun.

Comment

What's wrong with magic, you have something againts it huh? wanna make something of it ....:laugh:

Comment

Yes, if I want magic, I'll go play World Of Warcraft.

Thanks for the pointers, Mekstizzle, I pretty well do all you're saying. I was just ranting.

Comment

I dont really care that the "Magic Box" can repair Commander Assets.So what if its not realistic take a tank and a spec ops blow it up hop in the tank destroy the supply box every time its coming down.I mean I saw some one say this before if you want realism join the army its just a game.

Comment

It's a game not only that but an ARCADE style shooter! If you dont like it then too bad. Gosh stop whining and go back to CS or even better for realism go to AA I mean you even have to train and the whole lot.

Ranger

Comment

Those who claim the supply crate is a magical fix for all Commander problems clearly haven't played commander much with a smart & determined SF in his backyard!

Plant C4 on UAV & radar tailers. Run a ways off, hide, and detonate. Commander drops crate, now the fun begins: SF resupplies himself, plants C4 again on UAV & radar trailer and the crate, resupplies himself again, goes back to hide site, detonates everything, and starts laughing. Next crate that drops brings the UAV back to life for a couple of seconds, until he throws down his C4 & returns it to "condition red" (also destroying the crate) a few moments later. Until some ground troops get into the act to chase away or kill the hostile SF, it's a losing game for the commander trying to keep his assets up. Add in a really nimble SF or a second SF player, the arty stays perpetually dead as well. Crates don't regenerate nearly as fast as the stuff re-explodes!

Engy as commander works okay, except that the whole time you're repairing you're (a) not in the commander screen -- i.e. not commanding, and (b) vulnerable to getting killed by the SF or any other bad guy who wanders by. I prefer to stay hidden, safe, and in the commander screen as much as possible, hopefully with at least one or two guys who listen to orders available to chase out the SF and/or do the repairs themselves. A crate is fine for a "drive-by C4ing," but with determined SF camping your toys, it's a crummy answer. Second choice is to be an assault/medic/sniper as commander & kill the SF from a distance, then get back into commander screen & repair the toys with whatever combination of crates & engineers works best at the time.

While there are some genuinely unbalanced aspects of the game (jets & helos come to mind), for the most part there are pretty good counters to a lot of the tactics that get employed... claymore spamming is annoying, but there are ways to deal with it; likewise armor whores, or noob tubing, or medic whoring, and so on & so on. I have to laugh when somebody is being effective with some particular tactic/kit/vehicle, so he gets lambasted as a #*$&ing _____-whore noob. Grow up and learn to deal with it! (Granted that this applies less on maps with jets than on ground-only maps... which is IMHO the reason that Kark/Warlord/Ghosttown/Jalabad/etc are as popular as they are.)

But to claim that the supply crate is some unbalanced magic charm is just immature & inexperienced nonsense.

Comment

Just use the supply boxes to reload on c4... duh... I do this alot, infact the enemy commander has allowed me many times to STAY around assets the entire game blowing them up and full of health ammo and c4 due to his crate dropping.

If hes dropping crates, its rare people will come back to check for enemy personel because they think he has it taken care of.

Comment

Originally posted by ent|ty
                  I love BF2, but this stupid game item really pisses me off.

So sadly, I'll have to sit idly by and watch myself and my teammates suffer constant no-skill artillery, self-repairing vehicles, etc and can't do anything about it - worthwhile that is.

Ummmm........your commander can drop you a supply box too sothat you don't run out of ammo

As long as there is armor in this game engy will always have a job

Lieutenant General |SI|SERIALBUTCHER

peace

Comment

hit ur at rockets at the magic box o_O

Comment

Working...
                    X