Geforce 7800 GS AGP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geforce 7800 GS AGP

Hi all, I am running a ATI 9800 PRO at the moment and wanting to upgrade to a Geforce 7800 GS AGP. I know that doing a whole system upgrade would be the better thing to do going with the PCI version, however I am under money constraints.

Here is my question though do I have enough CPU and ram to run this newer AGP card? My system specs are as follows........

P4 2.53 Ghz Cpu on a
    Gigabit GA-8stxcfs mainboard,
    and running 2.5 gig ram at 333 mhz.
    500 watt power supply

Re: Geforce 7800 GS AGP

ram is fine not too sure about CPU tho shouldnt be a problem, im no expert on ATI but i thought the 9800 PRO was an ok card ... if ya want my advice save up your penny's and rebuild a whole system insteed of putting money into basicaly dead technology

Comment

If i were you i WOULD NOT buy an AGP (is it x4 or x8?)
      PCI-E or x16 Slots are so d@m powerful you'd get way better preformance going with those slots.

Comment

hi timewarp, seems i am the only one thus far who has read what you put about not wanting to upgrade to pci for money or other reasons, i hear you.

i have the xfx 7800 gs card and it is 8x agp to answer one of the repliers.

your specs should be fine, as long as your power supply isnt too weedy.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by UltrAdamSki
          hi timewarp, seems i am the only one thus far who has read what you put about not wanting to upgrade to pci for money or other reasons, i hear you.

HTH
          I am running a 500 watt-er at the moment... I hope that is enough... Thanks for the information and friendly convo...

THanks to all for the info..any other thoughts are also welcome.

Comment

Im still surprised there makin mobo's with agp slots..=/
            oh well good luck

Comment

I believe the min power requirement for it is 350 Watts, you should be good with 500 All other specs, good.

Comment

ya if i were you i'd go with 500 watts, to be on the safe side.

Comment

HTH
                  i read it, just persionaly i think it would be a better idea to save more money and rebuild in the longterm insteed of a short term solution thats not going to last for long

Comment

Originally posted by Munk_Madness
                    i read it, just persionaly i think it would be a better idea to save more money and rebuild in the longterm insteed of a short term solution thats not going to last for long
                    well i understand your sentiments exactly, but if timewarp is anything like me, and bought his system inbetween technology advancements and paid a pretty penny, then you want to add the best AGP card to your rig rather than buying a new one, it doesnt always make sense to do what you suggest, although as a rule of thumb i agree with you....depends on the circumstances.

Comment

cpu is a bit slow compared to nowaday cpus and it will bottleneck ur system a tiny bit...and id just go for a new mobo + cpu than getting another p4 cpu

but if u cant, it shouldnt be too bad for bf2 ...u mite notice some slowdowns where tehre is alot of chaos in a map, but the 7800gs should help u pull through that nicely

Comment

well i understand your sentiments exactly, but if timewarp is anything like me, and bought his system inbetween technology advancements and paid a pretty penny, then you want to add the best AGP card to your rig rather than buying a new one, it doesnt always make sense to do what you suggest, although as a rule of thumb i agree with you....depends on the circumstances.
                        yeah i did the same back when i was more of a noobjust missed out on getting an 775 and pci express

Comment

Working...
                        X