Graphics Card Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphics Card Recommendation

I've made previous posts about performance, but this one is based off of recommendations according to my situation. A lot of people keep saying that my gfx card is holding my whole computer back, which means i am not getting my moneys worth of performance.

Dell Dimension 5150
    3 Ghz Pentium D
    2 GB RAM
    Radeon x600
    Windows MCE

Now i run the game at 40 fps, 60 when flying and it sometimes drops to 20 when near artillery fire.
    im running the game at:

Display Mode: 1024x768@60Hz
    Terrain: Medium
    Effects: Medium
    Geometry: Medium
    Texture: High
    Lighting: Low
    Dynamic Shadows: Off
    Dynamic Light: Off
    Anti-Aliasing: Off
    Texture Filtering: Low
    View Distance Scale: 100%

I've heard somewhere that if you put your video settings too low, you'll actually get slower fps because your not pushing your card to full potential or something. When i put textures to low, i actually do get a much lower frame rate.
    I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT THE DIFFERENCE IS BETWEEN PCI-EXPRESS OR INTEGRATED OR WHATEVER, SO PLEASE MAKE SURE THE GFX CARD YOUR RECOMMENDING WILL WORK [fit] WITH MY COMPUTER. IF YOU CAN PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME THE DIFFERENCE. I WOULD LIKE A RECOMMENDATION THAT WOULD BE A GOOD BALANCE BETWEEN PERFORMANCE AND PRICE. IF YOUR GOING TO SUGGEST A GFX CARD, PLEASE STATE THE ESTIMATED PERFORMANCE BOOST. IF IT ISN'T EVEN WORTH GETTING ONE, PLEASE TELL ME. IM OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS.

Re: Graphics Card Recommendation

You have PCI-E and the card with the best price to performance ratio is the 7600GT. Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814143049
    This card would allow you to play BF2 all high with 2xAA at a resolution of 1024x768. If you can afford more, state you budget and we'll find the best card for that price.

Comment

Or an X1650, they're about level pegging with the 7600GT and well priced.

Comment

Originally posted by mlkmnz
        Or an X1650, they're about level pegging with the 7600GT and well priced.
        oh, kool. I havent really checked out that series because i was thinking it was going to be the same as the X1600.

Comment

Originally posted by cloaker
          oh, kool. I havent really checked out that series because i was thinking it was going to be the same as the X1600.
          Yeah thats the problem ATi are having trying to sell them. They're a completely seperate core from the X1600 series and quite good.

Comment

Originally posted by mlkmnz
            Yeah thats the problem ATi are having trying to sell them. They're a completely seperate core from the X1600 series and quite good.
            kool thanks for the info.

Comment

Ok first of all, you will LAG ALOT if your graphics are to high for your video card.
              Try puting it all on minumum, i garentee you will have no or little lag.
              if not, they buy a video card that has a PCI X16 , 256MB, and at least 12 pixel pipelines.

Comment

yes echo i agree with you. But, oddly enough, when i set my textures to low i get a 50% drop in fps. I've read somewhere that if your not pushing your card nowhere near its limit, you will make it not work as hard and therefore creating more lag, or something like that.

so it seems like its between the 7600gt and the x1650, then again i have zero knowledge about graphics, so please someone whose experienced both cards state your recommendations. and what type of frames would i be getting on all high?

Comment

With the 7600GT you will be able to get atleast 45-50+ on all high at 1024x768. Im not sure about the 1650 pro. Whats your budget for this upgrade?

Comment

Hmm thats interesting, i know that for me, i have a ATI All-In-Wonder 9600 XT 256MB, when i run on low for bf2 i have increased fps and less lag, than running recommended which is very odd.

Comment

ok i think ill go with the 7600GT. Now is it easy to install? I've installed ram before, is gfx cards the same idea?

Comment

Yep, its very easy. These 2 guides will help. This: http://www.totalbf2142.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2197 and this: http://www.totalbf2142.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1739

Comment

ya there extremly easy to install, your going to need a screw driver and ur hands.
                          lol simple, find the pci slot and place it in, there are teeth in the slot to make sure that there is correct install, than plug ur monitors up and plop the installing disk into the drive and there you have it!

Comment

The 7300GT is half the cost of 7600GT. To have the same fps you're getting, I must playing at these settings with 7300GT:

Display Mode: 1440x1078@85Hz(if supported by your monitor)
                            Terrain: Medium
                            Effects: High
                            Geometry: Medium
                            Texture: High
                            Lighting: Medium
                            Dynamic Shadows: Medium
                            Dynamic Light: Medium
                            Anti-Aliasing: (2x via nvidia control panel)
                            Texture Filtering: (=4x AF via nvidia control panel)
                            View Distance Scale: 100%

The setting above will look nearly as good as an 'all high' settings. And I think, the 7600GT is an overkill for your system, that's why I'm recommending the 7300GT. But should you decide to get 7600GT eventually. Play BF2 at high res, above 1280 x 1024, 4xAA and 8+xAF, to make sure you're getting the most out of it.

Comment

I would recommend the xfx7600gt xxx for less than 150 u cant go wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X