You know what I'd love to see

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You know what I'd love to see

Well, I was just looking at the global leaderboards and my own spot amongst it all, and I thought, well for every kill or point I get, I rise about 4 ranks globally. What if in game, you had a little implementation in the hud or a external program overlay that showed your global rank rising and fall as you played as close to instantly as possible.

So everytime you get a point (or a bucketload of points if you are in a jet or whatnot) your rank 83,887 rolls down to 83,880 then down to 83,860, then 4... Well, ok. But that would be cool, no?

This of course assumes that you are not near the top of the worldwide leaderboard, where it is much harder to go up even a little bit. For me, about 10 point would put me up about 10 ranks, assuming my nearest competitors are doing something productive in RL.

This would keep me playing that extra bit longer each time I'm on.

Perhaps for that reason, I shouldn't encourage its existence?

:P

Re: You know what I'd love to see

somewhat cool, but for this to work, the servers would have to keep on registering ur points like every minute or so and there'd be tons of lag

Comment

I'd be up for that. Perhaps a grab of the current global ranks at the start of the round would do. Seeing the rank roll over is the key. I doubt you would remember, in a round, if you went from 20,405 to 20,390 or whatever.

Comment

Sounds good, but then there'd be people doing everything possible to get more points. Exploiting more etc.

Comment

Originally posted by RavenRealms
          Sounds good, but then there'd be people doing everything possible to get more points. Exploiting more etc.
          So with people more aware of their stats, they are prone to exploit more?
          I agree with you, and for realism gaming, I advocate no stats. Vanilla, however is just stat related fun, for me these days. Red Orchestra made vBF2 hard to see as warefarelike anymore.

Comment

yea.. that would be a very cool thing but theres no way it could work without the Worst lag EVER!

Comment

The problem would not be client sided lag, but rather a major load on GameSpy's server. I think this is not even feasible with the current technology. Explanation:

From a programmer's perspective, you know that for this to work it would require the leaderboard to be resorted every instant.

To resort a leaderboard you must recalculated the position of each and every player. It's not just about re-position 1 player - EVEN CONSIDERING that he is the only player online and nobody else's stats change (this may sound illogical but if you are a programmer it makes perfect sense) .

The resorting process with as many players as BF2 has requires a massive amount of time (relatively). Get my point?

On top of that, if you keep resorting the leaderboard, while the process happens the values (points, kills, whatever) must not be altered. I think you can say that virtually every milisecond there is a player scoring. Hence, for a process like this to be effective and functional it requires extreme computational power (probably not available) besides larger bandwidth.

This is why even now, without live stats, the BF2 leaderboards are updated a couple of times each day only.

Conclusion: Highly unlikely to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Churrasco
                Conclusion: Highly unlikely to happen.
                Thanks for that But for the future of games, the scope is unlimited in my view. Technology progresses amazingly fast. 10 years ago, supernintendo mario kart was awesome, to think that 100+ players would come together to play armed assault in a decade from then may have been unthinkable, but it happened, so in another ten years...

I know your not saying its not going to ever happen, I do understand what your saying, but im just adding the future looks bright

Comment

Well in that case...

I wanna see, together with the players name above their head, their global rank, their current K/D ratio and their current accurracy for the gun they are currently using.

Comment

Originally posted by meatpopsicle
                    Well in that case...

I wanna see, together with the players name above their head, their global rank, their current K/D ratio and their current accurracy for the gun they are currently using.
                    Meatpopsicle from AHA? Or another meatpopsicle?

Comment

Originally posted by meatpopsicle
                      Well in that case...

I think that the way things are now are already confusing.
                      If you put all that on the screen will be a mess.

Comment

maby not in game but in BFHQ like what ConscriptVirus said you'd get alot of lagg if it were to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbossmatt
                          I know your not saying its not going to ever happen, I do understand what your saying, but im just adding the future looks bright
                          I don't underestimate technological progress, it's just that when this becomes available BF2 will look like Pong now.

Comment

Working...
                          X