Updating my computer to run BF2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updating my computer to run BF2?

I currently run BF2 on my Dell laptop 1.9GHz processor and 512MB RAM. I am not sure what my video card is but I've had zero lag on even the highest graphics settings.

Just got a computer from my work as the company was going to recycle it. Its an Intel Celeron 2.0GHz, 248MB or RAM, and I am not even sure where to find what videocard it has. If I upgrade the RAM to say 1GB will I have trouble running the game?

Also if I need to replace the video card please recommend a basic (cheap) card I can install.

Thanks!

Re: Updating my computer to run BF2?

you cant upgrade laptop video cards.

if its old it proberly wont run Bf2 anyways

Comment

My bad the computer I just got is a desktop.

The computer is 2 years old.

I currently run BF2 on my laptop but I wanted to upgrade the desktop before I even try running it.

Comment

the desktop you proberly can upgrade but it depends on what socket the processor is, ie if its the old Socket 478 the RDRAM will cost alot compared to Socket 775 with DDR 333/400 Ram

but yes the processor speed is sufficiant and upgrading to 1gb ram will do, the graphics is proberly AGP so finding a decent AGP card would be your next task

Comment

I agree with Scinto above.

I would recommend checking the specs on the motherboard and seeing what the max amount of RAM it can hold and like Scinto above said, check what kind of slots the thing has. (most likely AGP) It may prove to be cheaper or maybe slightly more to buy a new motherboard that can handle more of the newer hardware. You could look into one that uses the same processor and RAM, but is built to upgrade.

Anyhow...upgrade your RAM and video card and you should be all set.

Comment

^ i thought for all 32bit cpus..the max was 4gb

Comment

How can I check the motherboard specs? I am not sure how many pins my RAM is but I am pretty sure its SDRAM.

I am quite a noob to computers.

Comment

why not just upgrade your currwent PC Dell laptop 1.9GHz processor and 512MB RAM. the celerons are made for office work and not gaming, thus will suffer to play any game regardless of the ram you have. I would stick with your current righ get another 1Gb stick for that, find out what motherboard you have and get a decent gfx card. Or save up and build your own, or get someone to build it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by PaleRider1858
                  How can I check the motherboard specs? I am not sure how many pins my RAM is but I am pretty sure its SDRAM.

I am quite a noob to computers.
                  download the everest trial > http://www.lavalys.com/products/down...?ps=UE&lang=en

Comment

Originally posted by =TBS=Tonic
                    why not just upgrade your currwent PC Dell laptop 1.9GHz processor and 512MB RAM. the celerons are made for office work and not gaming, thus will suffer to play any game regardless of the ram you have. I would stick with your current righ get another 1Gb stick for that, find out what motherboard you have and get a decent gfx card. Or save up and build your own, or get someone to build it for you.
                    Tottaly agree, infact NO i dont (you mentioned a laptop lol)
                    If you really want to play BF2,,,,,, then you need to get...
                    AMD 3600+ or better
                    2GB ram (1.5 minumum)
                    6600GT will play OK... but you really wanna get a 7900GT (max it out)
                    PSU = 400w or better
                    A couple of case fans will not go unwanted with some serious hardware (cheap and efective)

AND after all that run 'msconfig' and remove all those nasty windows (that do nothing) tasks........
                    and then.............
                    Tweak some more

Comment

Working...
                    X