Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PoE2 a virus?

This came up today at http://www.Webturd.com :

We got the word of some users, that complain about the Point of existence Mod for BF2 contains virus code.
    This could be a problem with the Virus Scanner, but you'll never know.

Here is a screenshot of the infection. ( http://img314.imageshack.us/my.php?image=poepe2.jpg )

It appears to be a 'Downloader Trojan' which is a generic name for certain malicious code.
    The VirusScanner used, was BitDefender, the latest version. Although a POE Teammember already noted that this could be a problem of 'BitDefender'

An offcial reponse from Point of Existence team is not yet issued.

Although the report clearly shows the Trojan in the 1.0 version of POE, it strange that the community didnt noted this up earlier.
    Therefore its quite 'safe' to say that this could indeed be a problem with the BitDefender software.

For those, who are suspiciuos to allow this program to run on their computers, i have only one good advise.
    Use a Second opinion Virus-Scanner, there are lots of free scanners out there.

Or you can ask you local communtity on expiriences with your problem.

Better Safe than Sorry

Re: PoE2 a virus?

I wish there was evidence that Karkand had a virus in it, and all the kiddies would not get to play it because servers would have to pull it.

Comment

This happened with POE 0.4 for BF:V I think. Just a false positive, nothing to worry about. IF you downloaded from a reliable place it should be fine.

Comment

Most likely a false alarm and probably a conflict with BitDefender, good of them to bring it to light in for the community nevertheless.

Comment

RUN AWAY THE DREADED POE2 VIRUS IS GOING TO GET YOU!

jk

Comment

bet it's a false positive..

Comment

Nice avatar you got there Indianscout!

I don't think they would put a virus in their mod. Why would they do that? This would rather be something for 2142 with all those ads in it.

Comment

i had POE2 installed and i also run Bitdefender. Never had this problem.

For the record, there are no ad's in 2142 right now. Been playing but i have not seen any.

Comment

Working...
                X