Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie pilot question: how do you make a U-turn with a fighter jet??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie pilot question: how do you make a U-turn with a fighter jet??

I have been learning to fly with my new joystick for 4 days now and finally I'm able to fly a heli without crashing. Now I have a big problem with the fighter jets. They are so fast, well too fast for me, and would often go out of the combat area quickly. Then I found it so hard to make a U-turn and head back to the battlefield. It's so fast and so responsive to rolling commands (can dive and roll like a dolphin which is really cool), however it seems to be very insensitive when it comes to steering? I'd keep steering but it turns really really slow and by the time it finally got its head straight I was already shot by the commander.

Also a quick question for helis since I mentioned rolling. It's my understanding that helis can't do 360 free rolls like fighter jets right? So once you roll it too much or pitch it too much, it would crash and fall. Is there any way to save it if I rolled or pitched too much in the air before it hits anything?

I've finally got over my frustration phase and started to enjoy the joystick. The more I learn the more fun it's starting to give me. It's defintely the second best toy next to my own "joystick" !

Re: Newbie pilot question: how do you make a U-turn with a fighter jet??

When I want to make a U turn what I do is, Pull up so that you end up upside down, then from here you just rotate left or right to get your plane stable again.

Comment

Thanks that's actually the idea I've been thinking about. So the nature of the fighter jets is that they tend to understeer a lot , and you have to make it up by pitching and rolling right?

Comment

OK, for a U turn (you are in the left side of the U), roll 90° left and just pull up. Watch the crosshair; It should be in the middle so you won't get higher or lower (= crash). Then after youve finished roll 90° right. Oh, and at the same time you roll 90° back (in this case - right), also turn the rudder axis LEFT. I don't know really what it does, or I just don't know how to say it, but it kinda stables you specifically to the place you wanted to be. Just pracrice.
        *If you want to U turn right, turn 90° right, pull up, turn 90° left and steer right. (obviously)

Comment

Originally posted by startover
          Thanks that's actually the idea I've been thinking about. So the nature of the fighter jets is that they tend to understeer a lot , and you have to make it up by pitching and rolling right?
          Seriously- just go mess around on an empty local lan game (created by you of course), and find out for yourself, it's not that hard really. If you know how to Turn and move on foot, you will be fine in the air; it takes practice- no help if we tell you how to do it.

Alternatively- watch some videos with airplanes in it. You'll get the idea.

Comment

Be high then do a barrel roll,U will evade most of the jets,or make sharp turns towards the jet

Comment

Start with lowering your aircraft sensitivity settings in the Options Screen. Later on when you get more accomplished in maneuvering the aircraft you can increase that to your likings.
              Create a local play (LAN) in the Multiplayer screen, using a big map (64 players) with room to move like Operation Cleansweep. Then go practising. It's a bit as in RL. With more flying hours it all will get easier.

Choppers can make loops and 360 rolls. When upside down in a roll, the mass of the chopper body is above the rotor. This will swing the chopper too fast towards the upright position, therefore you need to compensate with counter steering when in almost upright position. It's also better to throttle down when upside down, otherwise you will pull the chopper too much downwards.

Comment

apply the handbrake

Comment

Originally posted by RufusRex
                  apply the handbrake
                  LOL, what's the handbrake key?

Comment

there is no handbrake in aircrafts. wad do you think will happen if there's handbrake's in aircraft??? are you gonna get airplane pile-ups or do a xtreme drifting in a aircraft???:laugh:

Comment

roll on your side 90°, center stick, pull back, unroll 90°, U turn done.

Comment

Originally posted by startover
                        It's not that they "understeer". It's that there are three primary movement controls on them (yaw, pitch, and roll) and you need to select which controls will help you achieve the motion you are interested in.

I'm assuming you are attempting to twist your joystick to get it to turn. This will adjust the tail rudder and hence your yaw. As you have witnessed, this will not adjust your heading in any dramatic way. You will find that you can probably ignore your yaw as you begin to get the feel of jets down. Later when you are more comfortable with pitch and roll adjustments to get it to go where you want, you can experiment more with what yaw adjustments can do for you. Primarily, yaw added to an already dramatic corner will end up allowing you to corner even more tightly.

In real life flying scenarios, there are implications with smoothing a turn out and causing the plane/jet to go through a turn more directly/straightly, but in the game, I find such nuances typically don't matter really. That said, I fly jets very little in BF2. Maybe someone with more experience with jets in BF2 might add what they find truly useful about the subtleties of yaw control.

Comment

Learn a few proper manuevers too, and it will help you turn predictably without drifting off map. Here are the basics:

Provides information, drawings and pictures of the world's military aircraft.

If you know the desired end result of your manuever, you will have much more success than simply turning like mad and getting lost.

As for the precision, it only comes with practice.

Comment

hmm check that your yaw and pitch factors are set at 10 not 1: (options>controls>aircraft)
                            works for me!

Comment

Working...
                            X