Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Textures = black boxes and other bugs

Hello.

I have put in 2 days of work to get my BF2 to finally run at all. I installed the X2 patch for my dual core, and some fix for my audigy, and now I can play the game. But only as long as I don't choose High Textures under the video menu.

The errors I get after High Textures are enabled
    • Sometimes when I press TAB (scoreboard) all the text is just black and you can't read it.
    • When I zoom in with the iron sight with a weapon I get a huge black box which covers most of the screen.
    • Sometimes when I press Q to get the voice command menu, all the text there is black aswell and you can't read it.
    • When I press ESC to open the game menu while playing on a server, I get kicked out to my desktop.
    • Some textures gets black in the game, like buildings and such.
    • The game freezes up after a few minutes of play.
    • When the round ends, I usually get kicked out to the desktop.

If I select Medium Textures, these problems don't occur (still have some testing to do, but it all seems to work).

Is there anyone out there who has a theory or something that I can try, because I am running out of ideas myself. I would very much appreciate to run the game at high, since I just upgraded.

My specs are:
    • AMD x2 4200+ with dualcore fix from amd.com
    • DFI Infinity NF4-SLI
    • 2x512MB Kingston ValueRAM (total 1024MB RAM)
    • Sapphire ATI X1900XT 256MB PCI-E with a Zalman VF-900CU
    • Audigy 2 ZS
    • Samsung SATA harddrive, 160GB
    • 400W PSU (only 15A on 12v-line, but should that cause these errors if everything else works?).

I have tried catalyst 6.8 and 6.9, no difference. I have tried BF 1.3 and 1.4. Running 1.4 now and still having problems. Please help :cry:

Re: High Textures = black boxes and other bugs

After installing the dual core driver from AMD i had to install the dual core optimiser also. Try turning off the services you dont need as you are trying to run on high with 1gb of Ram and you are probably using 200 mb already without even turning the game on.

Dunno about the boxes though, sounds like it could be a driver problem but you seem to have tried them already.

Comment

I downloaded the dual core optimizer aswell, forgot to mention that. Without that fix I got disconnected from the servers all the time.

I will try to turn off background programs. It might be as you you are suggesting that I run out of RAM when turning on High, causing the game to crash.

About the boxes I see now that some people with ATI X1900... cards seem to have this issue as well. Might be a driver issue then. Shall see if I can try some unofficial drivers and will come back with results later.

Comment

Along with disconnected errors you can set affinity to one core as opposed to two, this reduces the connection problem even further.
        It shouldnt crash with the ram being used but it will start to use the page file which could cause the game freezing occasionally.

Comment

actually you dont need to set affinity, I have never had too with my dual core..

I'm running the cat 6.10's on my X1800XT without problems..

Comment

is your gfx card overheating, as u have a 3rd party hsf on it, did u install that on the GFX card? Make sure its not overheating check the the program with ur ATI drivers utility, alternativly check in BIOS.

Comment

Originally posted by ROE|IndianScout
              actually you dont need to set affinity, I have never had too with my dual core..

I'm running the cat 6.10's on my X1800XT without problems..
              Quite right, you dont have to , but it can help, it certainly aided me.

Comment

I only had a few minutes to test a possible solution based on some tips I got here, but it seemed to work. I borrowed another 1GB of RAM from a friend and I could raise the Texture setting without any bugs. I could also enter the menu while playing on a server without getting kicked back to the desktop.

As for the temperatures, they are monitored and reasonable. Around 60-70 degrees celsius on full load with the graphic card, and around 40 degrees celsius on the CPU.

Will try with more RAM again when I can borrow it. But that seemed to fix my problem, thx for the support.

Comment

Working...
                X