New 7800 GS problems......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 7800 GS problems......

Well recently I got some Gift Cards to Circuit City and had enough to basically get a nice new upgrade video card to my 9800pro for free. After some shopping and comparing i decided on the EVGA 7800 GS here:

Picked it up for $230.

Sadly though i'm very dissapointed.... After a bf2 re-install followed by an OS re-install i'm still getting performance below my OC'd 9800pro from this card.

I just don't understand, i don't know if its a driver issue or what but i'm using the latest Nvidia driver from their website (94.xx).

I'm literally on the edge of returning thing this because this is terrible......

Any advice to why i'm getting terrible frame rates with medium/high settings that are less than my old 9800pro?

One other thing that kind of pushes me to think that something is wrong is that in the video settings screen in BF2 i don't have some options that i should have with a high end video card.

Usually AA should at least go up to 6x as an option and i only have 4x there. Also the resolutions should easily go up to 1600x1200 or more with this kind of video card but the highest resolution i can choose is 1256x1024 or something like that......

A friend of mine has a PCI-e X800 GTO and his availible resolutions go up to 1600x1200 and AA up to 6X, hell even my 9800pro would let me choose higher resolutions and 6X AA compared to this card.

My last ditch effort is to call EVGA on Monday, but boy am i dissapointed by Nvidia especially since BF2 was supposedly "designed" for Nvidia cards..... :cry:

Re: New 7800 GS problems......

Did you go through all the right procedures in upgrading the card (i.e completely purged your system of ATI drivers beforehand)?

Ignore BF2 for a second and run a benchmark like 3Dmark and compare scores online, so you can eliminate the card or BF2 as the main issue.

Comment

heres what you should do to ensure a clean install of new drivers.

download and install Driver Cleaner Pro from here - http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745

-uninstall the old drivers via Add/Remove programs
      -restart the machine
      -XP will say found new hardware and bring up a dialogue box - ignore this
      -run driver cleaner pro, select Nvidia or Ati from the list, click Start
      -Once the cleaning has finished install the new drivers

Comment

I guess nobody caught that i completely re-installed XP...... Full Format new partitioning.

So yes, the previous drivers are gone. I did a re-install just to make sure the old Ati drivers weren't the problem.

Comment

What kind of monitor do you have? Will it support up to 1600 x 1200? My flat panel supports up to 1280 x 1024 and that's all I can select in BF2.

What processor do you have? Is it dual core or hyperthreading? If so there is a hotfix for issues in XP SP2 not handling single-threaded applications like BF2 correctly. It's a difference of 60 fps for me.

Comment

see post number 3 about a similar card, i have the XFX version.

http://www.totalbf2.com/forums/showt...46#post1151646

also some other comments in the thread about drivers and the EVGA version

HTH

p.s. AFAIK bf2 AA setings will only show as max @ 4x AKA 4samples in their config files. if you want to increase this, you can easily in your nvidia CP

p.p.s re: resolution, again nothing to do with your VGA card, you just need to specify it in your shortcut, here is a line out of one of my batch files i use to launch bf2;

start /REALTIME /wait BF2.exe +playerName UltrAdamSki +playerPassword YeahRight +menu 1 +widescreen 1 +szx 1920 +szy 1200 +restart 1 +dxlevel 9c -heapsize 3500000

so you can see i am specifiying my res @ 1920x1200 (+szx 1920 +szy 1200) and to specify my refresh rate i use bf2 inbuilt res list but change it to the lowest setting, ie. 800x600 but choose @85hz. that means my specified resolution is active, and ignores the 800x600 but it takes onboard the refresh rate listed, in this case 85hz. so i end up running 1920x1200@85hz

Comment

Originally posted by [C22] yrethguad
              What kind of monitor do you have? Will it support up to 1600 x 1200? My flat panel supports up to 1280 x 1024 and that's all I can select in BF2.

What processor do you have? Is it dual core or hyperthreading? If so there is a hotfix for issues in XP SP2 not handling single-threaded applications like BF2 correctly. It's a difference of 60 fps for me.
              Running a Dell 20in LCD native res 1650x12xx.

3.2ghz HT

But i doubt its a problem with the processor because i said before it was running well with my 9800pro. I bought this card to see a major improvement and so far its running slower than a card thats 3yrs old.

Comment

I just got a 7800GS and I can't even get up to max settings. I struggle at medium.

Comment

power supply maybe?

how many amps do you have on the 12v rail?

i know 7600gs says on the box 20 amp on the 12v rail minimum,i would have thought it was the same for the 7800gs.

if you are below 20amps on the 12v rail then you can expect some poor performance from youre card.

Comment

Originally posted by 2wiSteD
                    I just got a 7800GS and I can't even get up to max settings. I struggle at medium.
                    Thats pitiful really not you but the card, my slightly OC'd 9800pro is mostly high settings with only some of the lighting stuff at medium, 4x AA, at 1024x768 and easily able to keep the FPS above 40 in 64 player servers in intense firefights.

So this new card which is supposed to be the last great thrill for AGP can't do better than one that is 3+ yrs old??????

I just don't understand that.

Originally posted by blade.verzilli TF
                    power supply maybe?

how many amps do you have on the 12v rail?

i know 7600gs says on the box 20 amp on the 12v rail minimum,i would have thought it was the same for the 7800gs.

if you are below 20amps on the 12v rail then you can expect some poor performance from youre card.
                    The power supply was more than enough to give the OC'd 9800pro power to run higher settings......

Comment

Originally posted by Thameth
                      Thats pitiful really not you but the card, my slightly OC'd 9800pro is mostly high settings with only some of the lighting stuff at medium, 4x AA, at 1024x768 and easily able to keep the FPS above 40 in 64 player servers in intense firefights.

So this new card which is supposed to be the last great thrill for AGP can't do better than one that is 3+ yrs old??????

I just don't understand that.

The power supply was more than enough to give the OC'd 9800pro power to run higher settings......
                      thats beacuse a 9800pro probaly only needed a 350watt powersupply to run the card(regardless of settings)

but the 7800gs(didnt know it was agp till now) will need a 450watt powersupply(min)and 20amp on the 12v rail(min)

when i say (min) i mean 1dvd/cd rom and one hardrive.

so if you try running a 7800gs on a underpowerd psu,you can exspect low performance.

you get a box with all new gfx card's reading the minimum req helps alot.

check you powersupply and let me know the amperage and watt(total power)

example
                      i have a 6600gt(agp)
                      on box it says 450watt psu min,so i run 550watt as i have extra fans and dvd burners and hardrive's ect.

the 7800gs is a faster card therefore it will need more power than a 9800pro.

Comment

Well, to eliminate the HT suspect, run the game and pull up your fps with renderer.drawfps 1

Note your FPS.

Task out to the Task Manager, and locate BF2 under processes. Right click and choose "Set Affinity...". Uncheck a processor. Task back into the game and check to see if the FPS improved.

Comment

Originally posted by blade.verzilli TF
                          thats beacuse a 9800pro probaly only needed a 350watt powersupply to run the card(regardless of settings)

but the 7800gs(didnt know it was agp till now) will need a 450watt powersupply(min)and 20amp on the 12v rail(min)

when i say (min) i mean 1dvd/cd rom and one hardrive.

so if you try running a 7800gs on a underpowerd psu,you can exspect low performance.

you get a box with all new gfx card's reading the minimum req helps alot.

check you powersupply and let me know the amperage and watt(total power)

example
                          i have a 6600gt(agp)
                          on box it says 450watt psu min,so i run 550watt as i have extra fans and dvd burners and hardrive's ect.

the 7800gs is a faster card therefore it will need more power than a 9800pro.
                          According to the EVGA website the 7800GS is rated for a 350 watt PS same as the 9800pro.

Originally posted by [C22] yrethguad
                          Well, to eliminate the HT suspect, run the game and pull up your fps with renderer.drawfps 1

Note your FPS.

Task out to the Task Manager, and locate BF2 under processes. Right click and choose "Set Affinity...". Uncheck a processor. Task back into the game and check to see if the FPS improved.
                          I'll try it, but that still doesn't explain why it worked fine with the 9800pro, wouldn't a processor problem be the same no matter the video card...

Comment

If it wasn't getting enough power, wouldn't a balloon come up?

Edit: Disabling Fastwrites doesn't work either. =/

Double edit: According to my box (BFG 7800GS OC) "400W power supply (with 12V current rating of 20A or more)"

This POS Dell only has 350 watts I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Thameth
                              ...I'll try it, but that still doesn't explain why it worked fine with the 9800pro, wouldn't a processor problem be the same no matter the video card...
                              Stranger things have happened.

Comment

Working...
                              X