Feedback for server lag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feedback for server lag?

I've been away from BF2 for a couple of months (I know, shame on me). I came back a couple of days ago to start playing again... got the new patch and everything... and every server I go into lags. Not real bad, it's just on and off the whole game and it only lags for about a second each time.

Anyone else experiencing this? Is this a problem created by one of EA's awesome new patches? Any solution requests? Thanks!

Re: Feedback for server lag?

I expeirenced quite a bit of lag initially, but to be honest it happens very rarely lately. Since there are so many factors just with an internet connection, I find it really hard to simply blame an EA patch for lag.

My only request would be to sort the servers by their ping times and choose the lowest. If you're still exeriencing problems, check your internet connection at http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/. If you get a high ping, (anything over 200 ms) there's your problem.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Yeah, I have considered internet connection, but I ruled it out after the SAME kind of lag happens in EVERY server I have been to, high ping or low.

Comment

How much RAM do you have and what video settings are you running?

My first guess would be that your computer is starting to use the paging file because it's running out of RAM. The hard drive will be much slower than your RAM so you get what appears to be lag, but in reality is just a delay with reading and writing to your hard drive.

To fix this, turn down your video settings and see if you can get it to go away. If you have 1GB or less, I'm confident that this is your problem.

edit:

If you want a clan, my clan (TRashED) is always recruiting. We look for active, long-term players though; skill does not carry as much weight as being active and consistent in your activity. The link to our website is in my sig. Hop on our server and our teamspeak and come introduce yourself.

Comment

I have 2GB of RAM and a 160GB hard drive. More than enough. But I have been experiencing problems with my graphics card lately. I am running a 256MB ATI Radeon 9600. I just bought the Kingston RAM so it's brand new, but I think my GPU is burnt out.
          Would a graphics card still be able to function somewhat if the GPU was damaged? I think that is my problem.
          And would a motherboard be able to mess up your RAM? What are possible culprits for RAM damage?

Thanks for you help man. I think it's time for an nVidia... no more ATI for me.

Comment

If you've done any overclocking or messing with BIOS settings that could mess up your memory fairly easily or your graphics card for that matter (I'm assuming, I've never messed with those settings so I don't know just how easy it is though).

If you haven't tried OC'ing, then heat can always cause damage. The part could be defective.... there's lots of possibilities.

If you think your RAM might be screwed up, do a google for "memtest86". Run that program for a while and see what you come up with. Hopefully when you run it you'll get 0 errors and you'll want to run it at least until the "pass value" is no longer 0 (this means it has run through at least once).

Graphics cards can still function even if they're partially screwed up. For example, some cards if they get too hot will have artifacts and weird colors in game, which brings me to my next question; is your card getting adequate ventilation?

I'm not sure if there is a test for graphics cards equivalent to memtest86 but perhaps someone else will chime in with an idea to test the graphics card.

Here's a link to a good FAQ about memtest: http://forum.x86-secret.com/showthread.php?t=2807

edit:

One of you admins really ought to turn off that doublepost automerge feature. It doesn't accomplish anything and typically combines posts that are completely different (i.e. NOT doubleposts).

Comment

Alright, thanks a lot. I'll try that memory test program.

And about weird colors and such during in-game play... I was getting blacked-out terrain a couple times when I would start shooting my gun. My graphics card does not have a fan on it, but I assume it is getting proper air flow. I am pretty sure it is screwed though.

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Working...
              X