Question about High Points Servers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about High Points Servers...

If EA/DICE did not want a 64 size map with just a few players in it (High Points Server) then why did they lower the requirements to start a round with 1.4???

Second, everyone keeps saying that the you really do not score more points in thease servers based on time. Menaing that 2 hours in HPS points are equal to 2 hrs in regular servers points. While this is true, it is about getting awards /badges/ ribbons/ medals. It is much easier to make IAR requirements with extremmly long rounds.

But seriously, if the creators did not want large maps sparsely populated, why did they lower the player requirement to start rounds?

DISCLAIMER: I am not looking for the standard "qoute the BFROE answer." I know what it says. I know there are other posts about this, but not since 1.4 when the requirements were changed.

Re: Question about High Points Servers...

Originally posted by amndunncw
    If EA/DICE did not want a 64 size map with just a few players in it (High Points Server) then why did they lower the requirements to start a round with 1.4???

Easy... the community hated having to wait for ten people to stick around long enough to get their server going.

Second, everyone keeps saying that the you really do not score more points in thease servers based on time. Menaing that 2 hours in HPS points are equal to 2 hrs in regular servers points. While this is true, it is about getting awards /badges/ ribbons/ medals. It is much easier to make IAR requirements with extremmly long rounds.

True

But seriously, if the creators did not want large maps sparsely populated, why did they lower the player requirement to start rounds?

Easy... the community hated having to wait for ten people to stick around long enough to get their server going.

DISCLAIMER: I am not looking for the standard "qoute the BFROE answer." I know what it says. I know there are other posts about this, but not since 1.4 when the requirements were changed.
    See my answers within.

Comment

ye all i have to say is that i dont like HPS one cause well they are cheap and i dout that in 2 hours of HPS you will get more than 2 hrs in reg. you get probly 300 combat and 250 teamwork or so in that range and i think that that is about 2 hrs of reg bf2 and that is about 1 hr or less in HPS.

Comment

1. - I would guess that the player number needed to start a server was due in part to the fact that it took forever to get 10 people in a 32 man server. Like anything else, enough people complained and they changed it. It has nothing to do with HPS.

2. - From what I've seen people that play on HPS are more likey to get their stats wiped than those that play on regular servers. I am not why that is. I don't agree or disagree with it, all I know is that it has happened to some poeple, for a fact. Seeing that 16/64 is not so different than stat padding, what if they just said "Stat padding is allowed, so is the use of wall hacks, and whatever else cheats are available"? What you say is true to some extent, but the potential for abuse is greater than having normal player/mapsize ratios.

3. - See #1

Comment

a 1 hour match can get u 160+ points. playing in 5 15 minute rounds will get u the same thing. all i can say is... WARLORD

Comment

Like I said, everyone agrees that the score per minute does not increase with a high point server. The only advantage, is the ability to get awards easier due to IAR requirements.

Besides, the question is why lower the requirements to start a round? Obviously this promotes a "High Points" enviornment. If only 8 players join a 64 server, is it their fault if no one else joins? Should they be punished for not leaving this sparsely populated map?
            Thanks for the good reply Radar and Revolution.

Comment

If only 8 players join a 64 server, is it their fault if no one else joins? Should they be punished for not leaving this sparsely populated map?
              That is not a high points server. It must only allow 16 players on a 64 player map. What you described above still allows more players to join, its just none have.

Comment

Like I said, everyone agrees that the score per minute does not increase with a high point server. The only advantage, is the ability to get awards easier due to IAR requirements.[/B]
                Thanks for the good reply Radar and Revolution.
                I disagree, exactly what are these "high points"?

Are they the total score, which with 16 on 64 could be only 150 for 90 minutes playing.

High points servers are those that enforce "custom" rules to maximise points. That is, knife / pistol servers, restrictions on weapons and vehicles etc.

On a knife / pistol server the spm does increase, because it's easier to revive people, therefore it's also easier to get heal and ammo points too, as people live longer. When you're not killed by explosives, you're always revivable.

Stat padders are beyond simply going for badges, what badge requires 400 kills, or 400 revives etc which is the level I've seen padders get to in a game I was playing.

It would make the awards that have an IAR requirement easier, but at least you can only get them once.

Changing the player numbers and map size is within the ROE, and if any combination was "high points" it should be 64 players on 16 map size, because that has the highest spm.

Comment

Originally posted by EC-Paulus-
                  That is not a high points server. It must only allow 16 players on a 64 player map. What you described above still allows more players to join, its just none have.
                  http://www.totalbf2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90712&highlight=1.4+RELEASE+NOTES

According to the release notes, a round can start on a 64 player server with 8 people in it.

Lazza66 exactly what high point servers are has never been clearly defined, but most commonly besides the ones you mentioned with stimpulations on game play, servers with few players and a large map is often perceived as high points. Because, the rounds last so long. That is why I was curious as to why they would decerase the number of players needed.

Comment

https://<span style="color:Blue">htt...E+NOTES</span>

According to the release notes, a round can start on a 64 player server with 8 people in it.
                    Do you see what I'm trying to tell you? High point servers restrict the map to 16 players. A 64 player map that only has 8 ppl is not restricting it to that number. Over the course of that round the server could fill to 64 ppl. Do you get it? NOT HIGH POINT SERVER - IF IT DOESNT RESTRICT A CERTAIN NUMBER OF PLAYERS.

Comment

Do you see what I'm trying to tell you? High point servers restrict the map to 16 players. A 64 player map that only has 8 ppl is not restricting it to that number. Over the course of that round the server could fill to 64 ppl. Do you get it? NOT HIGH POINT SERVER - IF IT DOESNT RESTRICT A CERTAIN NUMBER OF PLAYERS.
                      Which makes sense but they should have issued specific guidelines as to what restrictions make it a HPS. Why do they have to be so vague about it?

Comment

http://www.totalbf2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90712&highlight=1.4+RELEASE+NOTES

Lazza66 exactly what high point servers are has never been clearly defined, but most commonly besides the ones you mentioned with stimpulations on game play, servers with few players and a large map is often perceived as high points. Because, the rounds last so long. That is why I was curious as to why they would decerase the number of players needed.
                        Yes, the definition is unclear. But before servers running few players on large map sizes gets thrown in the high points bin it needs to be recognised that when this happens (players drop off the server when it's late) the score rate goes right down.

Allowing servers with a very high spm (64 on 16) and disallowing servers with very low spm (16 on 64) will only reinforce the me, me, me points rush mentality that is already ruining the game (exploiters, stat padders etc).

Neither of those server types are classed as high points and neither should be. One is a fast game with high spm (64 on 16) and harder to get badges, the other is a slow game with very low spm (16 on 64), but easier to get badges.

But given that I've got some 14 Expert and 6 Veteran badges on standard 64 on 64 servers then are badges really that much of an issue anyway?

Changing minPlayers is disallowed by the ROE.
                        Changing maxPlayers is allowed by the ROE.

Here we even have servers that are like 30 players on 64 map size so dial up players have a better server and get to use the bombers etc. as well. Setting the maxPlayers variable is NOT against the ROE, and shouldn't be.

High points servers do not restrict maxPlayers as you suggest, they enforce custom rules against the ROE, like knives only etc, or manipulate other variables against the ROE like spawnTime and ticketRatio.

Comment

Wow who really cares at this point? Why cant we all just go back to playing the game for the game and stop payin so much attention to the gay *** points? EA should just make them dissapear.

Comment

Hmmm.... one thing I see often is servers advertising "high points" etc etc... I never go in them just because I don't play Karkand... ever lol. But I've always assumed they are illegal..no? If a server advertises “high points” does that mean stay clear? I usually do just because I don’t want to do anything that will jeopardize my account, especially now since I see more and more people getting busted for sht like that.
                            xfire: chodda
                            steam: w0ofz

Comment

It's easier to get badges with 16 on a 64 map, yes. But honestly who gives a damn? =o They changed their Spec-Ops badge from dark grey to silver on their BF2s.com stats easier than me because longer rounds! C'mon now.

As long as it's a normal, fair game, how many slots/map size shouldn't be an issue.

Most people who play on those servers aren't stat padders or trying to get a badge. They either have a bad connection (less players = less data flow), a bad pc (less players = more fps, longer rounds = fewer excruciatingly long loads), or simply don't like the hectic mayhem of 64/64. You may say "well they can play 16 player maps then." 16 player maps are boring, chopperless, jetless, snoozfests, and you know that.

A reason it's set up like so may be that the owner of the server can't afford 64 slots. I think it would be pretty lame to outlaw a significant portion of the game content to servers with low slots. No 64 slots would usually means no choppers and no jets.

Comment

Working...
                              X