Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A small RAM question

HI,

in my computer i have 2 512mb sticks, making 1gb, but i want to get an extra 1gb.

but the problem i have is this. the 2 ram cards in at the moment are pc2700...and i want my 1gb card to be pc3200, is it safe to have them both together? or could it harm my computer.

Re: A small RAM question

It should be fine. (I had one stick of 2700 and one of 3200 at the same time, no problem) The ram will clock the speed of the frontside bus. 2700 or 3200, no difference. Use 2700 if is cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by large banana
      HI,

in my computer i have 2 512mb sticks, making 1gb, but i want to get an extra 1gb.

but the problem i have is this. the 2 ram cards in at the moment are pc2700...and i want my 1gb card to be pc3200, is it safe to have them both together? or could it harm my computer.
      why waste your money getting a stick of 3200 ram when it will only run @ PC2700 as the same as the current 2x512 sticks in.

Comment

because it won't ONLY run pc2700 it can very easily have pc3200

Comment

i suggest getting same speeed u might damamge ur mobo like that

Comment

I don't know about mobo damage, but getting two different sticks is stupid. Why bother paying/spending extra for PC3200 when it's not going to be used?

Comment

Because if he's going to upgrade soon then this can work out cheaper in the long run.......this shouldnt damage the mobo...instead the mobo will clock down to the slowest module...sometimes filling all 4 slots on the mobo can create issues...i know when i did this my mobo clocked down the RAM to 333 instead of 400...made my computer really slow, fortunately was able to adjust back up thru BIOS. Depending on the mobo and BIOS you might not be able to adjust it back up (if you have that prob)

Comment

Check with the manufacturer about what they reccomend - dont waste your money and find it doesnt work. Most websites have good details on reccomended upgrades.

Comment

jdmnmoprcivicDX is cool

Comment

Dependant on the motherboard you have it would be ok to "mix n' match" its not the ideal solution but you wont damage your motherboard at all. At WORST your PC wont boot I would suggest buying another 2700 Module pref the same brand if available.

The difference between 2700 and 3200 RAM is fairly insignificant tbh...

Comment

Working...
                    X