• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor performance/black screen without crash

First off, here's my system specs:
    Athlon 64 3500+
    GF 7800GT 256 MB
    1 GB DDR400 ram

1280x1024 (native res of my LCD), all settings at medium, AA off. View distance 100%

I have problems with movement being jerky every now and then, and I think my system is good enough that this shouldn't be a problem. If there's something that would help (I've been thinking of another gig of ram) let me know.

I also have trouble with the game crashing to desktop every so often. This is something I guess I can live with, but if there's a known fix for this I'd like to hear it.

The main thing I'm posting about is every few minutes when I play, the screen goes black for like two seconds, then comes back. When this happens the sound drops out too, so I know it's not my monitor or something. Usually if I reboot it stops happening. Any idea what I can do to stop this?

Re: Poor performance/black screen without crash

Another Gig of ram would help.
    Is your power supply strong enough?
    you should be able to run everything on max.

Comment

Originally posted by John Edmo
      Another Gig of ram would help.
      Is your power supply strong enough?
      you should be able to run everything on max.
      My powersupply is an Antec TruePowerII 550W. I picked it cause it had good enough specs to run two 7800GTs in SLI (and I'm only running one), so I don't think it should be a problem.

Comment

The gpu is good enough, only thing that might be slowing it down is the ram (2 gig is ideal) and the cpu might be slowing down a tad.

It might be time to uninstall and reinstall with full 1.4....I don't know what hte black screen deal is but might be a corrupt install. Other thing I'm thinking of is the bf2openal.dll in your bf2 directory is not current drivers so copy/paste the openal.dll in your windows/system32 folder (this has helped a couple sound issues I was having with popping/cracking with my audigy 2zs).

Comment

What's the temperature of your GPU, while you're playing?

Comment

Originally posted by [ht].ken
            The gpu is good enough, only thing that might be slowing it down is the ram (2 gig is ideal) and the cpu might be slowing down a tad.

It might be time to uninstall and reinstall with full 1.4....I don't know what hte black screen deal is but might be a corrupt install. Other thing I'm thinking of is the bf2openal.dll in your bf2 directory is not current drivers so copy/paste the openal.dll in your windows/system32 folder (this has helped a couple sound issues I was having with popping/cracking with my audigy 2zs).
            Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

What's the temperature of your GPU, while you're playing?
            It's like ~45C according to nVidia's app. I thought for a while maybe it was temp related, but doesn't seem to be.

Comment

try cleaning out your mobo, fans and heatsinks. plus more ram really wont hurt at all

Comment

Working...
              X