how to get more members in your squad working together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to get more members in your squad working together

this post is somewhat of a rant but i will keep it short....
    when you finally get into a sever and spawn on the first flag,you see very few squads, so you hit insert and make one. few minutes pass and you get a couple of guys join the squad and then the enemy takes a flag back. Now, i am the type of solider that goes after flags and then defend for a few minutes (maybe 5 minutes tops). i see my SM's taking off and i tell them to DEFEND THIS POSTION. Naturally i get a NO SIR and they grab the first ride out of there. this makes me very ......upset. i give the order usually before they take off and they still haul ***. i get worked constantly trying to defend flags solo.
    my question is this, how do others players deal with SM that dont teamplay, they are just in the squad for the time needed for badges.
    my second question is this: can you get a good squad together on a public server?

Re: how to get more members in your squad working together

Great question -- I do this on a regular basis and it really works, so I'll tell you my methods to get the squad working together.

First thing, understand you'll have to do more than just shoot. If you don't get enjoyment out of leading the squad and maybe having less points than everyone else then you shouldn't be squad leader.

Here's what I do (works in reality, nearly every time):

1) Create a squad named "TEAMWORK"
    This works because it attracts people. Even if you don't use VOIP (I dont use it), it still gives people the idea of what you're after.

2) Only invite those at the bottom of the invite list.
    This works because the list is sorted by who has been in the server longest. Those that have been playing for a while are already into a groove. It's good to snatch up the people that just joined.

3) Constantly give orders. Instead of issuing an attack order to the other side of the map, issue move orders as "waypoints" and make them follow you. After you issue move order after move order, you will notice the squad ends up blending in with you. Also this keeps their attention on what you're doing ... they usually forget after they get pinned down for a while.

4) Give them a good fight. Don't just go around the boring areas... go where there's a fight. You also need to do well yourself. You have to plan the routes and pay attention to the minimap... do all of the things good players do in this game. If you're not a good fighter, you won't make a good SL.

5) VERY RARELY should you ever attack a base yourself or even get in the flag zone. You need to stay outside of it and provide cover. This works out great for you in the end because you get to practice your aim at a distance and the enemy won't fire back because they'll be busy with your guys. Also, your kill rate will dramatically increase because most of the bad guys you are shooting at will be injured from your squad's fire. I end up at the top of the list with the best K/D ratio nearly every time because of this... so don't think there are no points in being an SL.. just gotta do it right.

6) If people STILL dont listen, start kicking from the squad. Kick the guys that say "No, Sir" to everything first and invite new guys. When typing in Squad Mode always type in all CAPS. Don't type alot or you'll be annoying, but type enough to get everyone going in the right direction. IE:
    [Squad] [MyIS]Spetsnaz: SPAWN ON ME

No one in your squad will miss that.

7) Occasionally, it may help to actually tell your guys what you are going to do. "For teamwork, join Squad #3" helps in team chat. Once your squad grows larger you can tell people what you will do: "Go to flag A, then B, then C and hold C" as an example.

8) Remember, teamwork is addictive, but you must also sacrifice your fun sometimes (which in itself is fun for me, so a bit of a paradox I guess, lol)

Good luck, hope that helps.

Comment

Along with spets' post I only have 1 thing to add....

pub servers and pub players typically don't work together, try and get some people that are in clans to join your squad or people from the same squad. This past weekend 3 other clan members and I along with 2 pubs were in a squad and dominated 8 games in a row (not losing one).

Comment

I just invite people and I have a mic. Then I say hi to the cats that join and ask if they have a mic. While I play, I tend to say where I am going to spawn and what the objective is. While I am waiting to spawn, or if I am underway to the objective, I pull up the comm-rose and place a marker where I want everyone to go.

It often helps. Seems even better when you are one of the first squads on the list too, or you have a really high score the previous rounds.

ESee if you can get a few people talking, like saying "we don't need any snipers at this time, we could use two more assualt and one more medic in the squad"

Like Spetsnaz said, just start kicking the sandbaggers. Take the game serious and tell them what the point of your actions are.

Since I play the hell out of Sharqi, I tell my squad I have no intrest in attacking the Hotel. It is a weak point to launch attacks from, and should be a secondary point of intrest compaired to holding the Look out, Construction, or City Entrance. Tell them what needs to get done all the time.

Like, if you see an UAV in the air, check the spawn points and see if someone can blow their Commander assests if you control their back flags. Then ask for them to spawn on ya.

Sometimes, ask for suggestions, but be assertive about what you think needs to be done.

If I am not soloing, I seem to get great squads when I start forcing the group to be aggressive. Because we all know here, that aggressive/hard-pushing squads are the ones that make all the difference in a round.

Edit: Also, if you are using a mic: when the round starts, and the commander countdown is going...tell the squad where you are going to spawn and to wait 4 seconds before jumping in to see if you get the jeep or if you are on foot to a specific base. Sometimes, you get 15 seconds to talk to the squad, and it helps for the initial assualts.

Comment

thanks spetsnaz
          1) Create a squad named "TEAMWORK"
          This works because it attracts people. Even if you don't use VOIP (I dont use it), it still gives people the idea of what you're after.

never thought of that thanks

2) Only invite those at the bottom of the invite list.
          This works because the list is sorted by who has been in the server longest. Those that have been playing for a while are already into a groove. It's good to snatch up the people that just joined

again, didnt know this, thanks

3) Constantly give orders. Instead of issuing an attack order to the other side of the map, issue move orders as "waypoints" and make them follow you. After you issue move order after move order, you will notice the squad ends up blending in with you. Also this keeps their attention on what you're doing ... they usually forget after they get pinned down for a while.

i do this too, i assume that asking any squad member to move over 400 yards or so is to much to ask. i usually issue the order to go to the closest flag, either our flag or the enemy. i find that by moving flag point to flag point (in a good fight) will lead to some good.(points plus defend flag points). i always seem to run into at least one enemy guy trying to turn the flag.

4) Give them a good fight. Don't just go around the boring areas... go where there's a fight. You also need to do well yourself. You have to plan the routes and pay attention to the minimap... do all of the things good players do in this game. If you're not a good fighter, you won't make a good SL.

i am not a great solider statsically, i was a slow learner and most of my friends have also learned on my account. i have improved (in my opinion) greatly over the last 4 months. the only problem i have with this point is i like to try to give every flag i take at least 3-5 minutes or so before taking off to the next objective.

5) VERY RARELY should you ever attack a base yourself or even get in the flag zone. You need to stay outside of it and provide cover. This works out great for you in the end because you get to practice your aim at a distance and the enemy won't fire back because they'll be busy with your guys. Also, your kill rate will dramatically increase because most of the bad guys you are shooting at will be injured from your squad's fire. I end up at the top of the list with the best K/D ratio nearly every time because of this... so don't think there are no points in being an SL.. just gotta do it right.

i always do this, this is why i have improved. the only problem is when you have the above mentioned SM's on there own agenda, they dont seem to spawn on me UNTILL i get to the flag, basiclly making me fell like a spawnwhore. they leave and go after whatever is closest and leave me trying to defend the flag,solo

If people STILL dont listen, start kicking from the squad. Kick the guys that say "No, Sir" to everything first and invite new guys. When typing in Squad Mode always type in all CAPS. Don't type alot or you'll be annoying, but type enough to get everyone going in the right direction. IE:

i have tried this too, with some success. never thought of the all caps

7) Occasionally, it may help to actually tell your guys what you are going to do. "For teamwork, join Squad #3" helps in team chat. Once your squad grows larger you can tell people what you will do: "Go to flag A, then B, then C and hold C" as an example.

i would do this more often, but sometimes my orders conflict with the commanders and i almost always go for what he ask for. but i do it waypoints. it is hard though to tell the commander yes without the squad getting the commanders order and making there mind up to go somewhere else.

8) Remember, teamwork is addictive, but you must also sacrifice your fun sometimes (which in itself is fun for me, so a bit of a paradox I guess, lol)

yes it is, thanks for your teamwork again in helping me think of new ways to keep them together.
          if i see you on the battlefield hopfully you have room in your squad so i can galdly spawnwhore you,:>lol

Comment

i was in a server today where one side could get squads and the other couldnt

and i think i saw spetsnaz and a few othe myis guys and i think they were just as ticked off as me that that happened

Comment

do you remember the sever?

Comment

Originally posted by McGreek
                i was in a server today where one side could get squads and the other couldnt

and i think i saw spetsnaz and a few othe myis guys and i think they were just as ticked off as me that that happened
                Its funny on Wake when the US cant form squads, and the Chinese can. Its like an ultra disadvantage. Those rounds usually end like 300-0 lol.

Comment

that seems like it would be against the bfroe, if i got into a sever that i couldnt be in a squad, specailly wake i quit the sever find another. that is just lame

Comment

Originally posted by McGreek
                    Hehe yes I was there. That really rubbed me the wrong way because when Napoleon and I are in a server, our side wins every round as long as we have a squad we can create.

We've been counting for about 2 months now and have only lost 1 round by a tiny amount (5 or so tickets). Otherwise, as long as we get to start at the beginning of the round, we win because the squad works together.

Originally posted by joshblancett
                    that seems like it would be against the bfroe, if i got into a sever that i couldnt be in a squad, specailly wake i quit the sever find another. that is just lame
                    It's a bug, not a server setting.

Originally posted by joshblancett
                    i am not a great solider statsically, i was a slow learner and most of my friends have also learned on my account. i have improved (in my opinion) greatly over the last 4 months. the only problem i have with this point is i like to try to give every flag i take at least 3-5 minutes or so before taking off to the next objective.
                    Stats mean nothing.

My opinion: move fast, never stay in one place. This is actually a real military tactic as well. Whenever you are assaulting an enemy position the entire unit must move quickly the objective points and not get bogged down by defense. Even if you get counterattacked, it won't be enough people to catch up to your flag caps.

I usually use the L85A1 (medic unlock, cool looking gun) on single shot and do alot of damage. I'll snipe as well, though I'm an awesome sniper it's not as effective as an L85A1 when used right.

I recommend picking any gun in the game and using it exclusively, even if you think it sucks for a while. Eventually you get the hang of it and people start calling you a cheater

i always do this, this is why i have improved. the only problem is when you have the above mentioned SM's on there own agenda, they dont seem to spawn on me UNTILL i get to the flag, basiclly making me fell like a spawnwhore. they leave and go after whatever is closest and leave me trying to defend the flag,solo
                    If you're on assault, you shouldn't defend flags until they are of strategic importance in my opinion (everyone has a diff style though).

What's a spawnwhore? I hate that:
                    [insert thing your supposed to do in-game]-whore stuff.

Play to win, let the whiners whine and lose

i have tried this too, with some success. never thought of the all caps
                    Sometimes you'll piss people off, lol, but it usually works. Sometimes I do things that are a little greasy but they work.. ie:

"Join my squad you will get more points!"

heh.

i would do this more often, but sometimes my orders conflict with the commanders and i almost always go for what he ask for. but i do it waypoints. it is hard though to tell the commander yes without the squad getting the commanders order and making there mind up to go somewhere else.
                    I never listen to the commander... he never has any idea of what he's talking about. And when he does... he issues the same waypoint I just issued... strange

yes it is, thanks for your teamwork again in helping me think of new ways to keep them together.
                    if i see you on the battlefield hopfully you have room in your squad so i can galdly spawnwhore you,:>lol
                    hehe np, can't wait.

I think what alot of people fail to realize about BF2 is that there are MANY roles you can play in the game that go beyond class/squad limitations. The problem is most people want things easy and hate thinking -- that's why you have so many *-whore accusations and cheating accusations.

In time, I realized there is no better weapon, or better team, or better class... or better anything... it's how you use it. I try to master the class/role that I play for a while until I get really good at it. At the same time, it takes some intense thinking and some frustrations... which are things that I like because it makes things more exciting.

Comment

Working...
                    X