Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pay to play your thoughts

hi all,
    i just thought i would see all your thoughts on paying to play in a totaly monitored server so there will be no padders cheaters and the game would run smooth all the way though no worrying about idiots TKing all the time we are thinking about setting somethink up like this so the older players of bf2 will be able to play in adults only server hassle free.

and the members would be able to choose what maps and how the game is played ect we would look into this more depending on the members and what they think it would only be a small amount per month $3.99 (not confirmed) to have a smooth game each time we played

wot do you think let me know

thanks

Re: Pay to play your thoughts

tbh, it sounds like an administration nightmare!

Comment

I'd look for other free methods.

Comment

Although some clearly don't go that far, a lot of clans already administer their server in the way you described.

Comment

GamingRegime.com monitors our server very closely anyways without cost. We are always looking for new mature and dedicated admins.

Comment

Originally posted by [AK]Nuts
            Although some clearly don't go that far, a lot of clans already administer their server in the way you described.

Exactly what I was thinking. But isnt there already a group that does some unranked battle thing for bf2? (that has a subscript fee)

Comment

The reason I bought this game and enjoy it so much is that it does not cost anything per month to play!!!! Nada!!!! Keeping it free would be your best bet! Besides I enjoy a game where "Big Brother" Admins arent so anal!!! I have been kicked for rediculous reasons, or just cause an admin felt like it, so having a game that controlled would totally not be FUN!

Comment

Originally posted by 25121937
                hi all,
                i just thought i would see all your thoughts on paying to play in a totaly monitored server so there will be no padders cheaters and the game would run smooth all the way though no worrying about idiots TKing all the time we are thinking about setting somethink up like this so the older players of bf2 will be able to play in adults only server hassle free.

and the members would be able to choose what maps and how the game is played ect we would look into this more depending on the members and what they think it would only be a small amount per month $3.99 (not confirmed) to have a smooth game each time we played

wot do you think let me know

thanks
                Good thinking, that's how a lot of servers have been run since the beginning

Some pay $10-$20 per month for priority access (as in; "we kick for paying members") to several servers w/ different maps

It is time for me to send in a donation to my fav server now LOL

btw, it is "nice" to have a smaktard kicked after 1, I repeat 1 clearly intentional tk

Lieutenant General |SI|SERIALBUTCHER

peace

Comment

well the server would be run by the paying members they choose how it is ran ect maps size how long time thinks like that

Comment

I actually like this idea, granted i would rather pay naught than 4 bucks, but one of my favorite servers went down last week, and i have yet to find one that can appropriately fill the void.

in another note, i love how it is 3.99 why not just round it to 4, would there be a sales tax involved?

Comment

You guys would also have to make sure that there are plenty of full servers while making sure that all of your members could get into a game.

If the server had some good people, the ping was low and kept idiots out I'd check it out.

Comment

I hate it when admins suddenly become game developers and start creating rule after rule that makes the game easier for them to play.

Best example are the "no claymores in flag zone" rule (for which I got kicked for earlier). It's funny how people complain about claymores so much but I rarely ever, ever, ever run into one. What happens very often is that I see the claymore before I run into it and just go around. I don't turn around corners tightly... I make a wide turn as to protect myself from claymores. I don't play sniper that much anymore because it got a bit boring, but I will say that grenades are much worse than claymores because of their blast radius and the fact that:
                        a) You have more.
                        b) You can lob them over structures with pinpoint accuracy.

I say all of that to say this... the game has alot of measures in place to protect against teamkilling, which is against the objective of the game (because the devs removed it). Teamkill a set number of times and you're kicked automatically anyway.

So besides teamkilling (which the server takes care of on its own), what other things are there that are worth a kick/ban?

Cheating?
                        How do you know they are cheating. Just today I was accused for the gazillionth time of cheating and yet I don't cheat. The top score guy was totally kicking my butt and we both ended up #1 on our team. At the end of the round I tell him GG and he says GG to me and we get accused of cheating. Unless someone is sitting in a wall or under the ground, which is obvious, there's no way you can say if someone has an aimbot, or speed hack, or whatever hack you guys think exists. Other blatant examples were the commander hack.. that one sucked.

All of those glitches were fixed though... so now it's up to the speculators and baseless accusers to play 'witch hunt'. Not my cup of tea :hmm:

Padders?
                        TBH these guys are easily disposed of and really don't get in the way of the game. If they sit on some corner of the map reviving and killing one another it's actually a pleasure to constantly break up their fun Not to mention, this pretty doesn't happen at all anymore. I've only seen a padder once in BF2 and that was in the very beginning of the game release. Not worth a monthly fee to kick people that simply don't exist anymore.

But I don't want to be all negative here. There are some good things about doing this:

1) Keep the chat spammers out. I hate those guys. They type in all CAPS with really long sentences that take up half the screen.

2) Get a group of guys together than actually want to win the round. I think it's safe to say that anyone paying to play every month is a more aware in-game than the average new player ... always a good thing.

3) For the very rare occasions of blatant cheaters or statpadders.. the problem won't last.

It would be worth it if it works, but there are a ton of alternative solutions out there like 21CW. It seems like a shameless plug but it is true...
                        - 21cw is free
                        - military command structure (generals, squads, cos, squad leaders, special forces squads, air force squads, etc)
                        - game is modded to fit the tourney
                        - smacktards are disposed of quickly

If you dont want the 'responsibility' of it all, there's always Gamespy Arcade which has monitored servers 24/7 -- plus you get some added benefits. Gamespy has been downhill for a while though so you'd have to tread carefully there.

Anyhoo.. enough ranting and raving from me. I think I made my point: Yes, there are alternative solutions out there and yes some of them are free but if you execute this properly I'm pretty sure it will work GL.. If not executed it's a bad idea that'll be a waste of your time and money.

Comment

Originally posted by [MyIS]Spetsnaz
                          I hate it when admins suddenly become game developers and start creating rule after rule that makes the game easier for them to play.

Best example are the "no claymores in flag zone" rule (for which I got kicked for earlier). It's funny how people complain about claymores so much but I rarely ever, ever, ever run into one. What happens very often is that I see the claymore before I run into it and just go around. I don't turn around corners tightly... I make a wide turn as to protect myself from claymores. I don't play sniper that much anymore because it got a bit boring, but I will say that grenades are much worse than claymores because of their blast radius and the fact that:
                          a) You have more.
                          b) You can lob them over structures with pinpoint accuracy.

I say all of that to say this... the game has alot of measures in place to protect against teamkilling, which is against the objective of the game (because the devs removed it). Teamkill a set number of times and you're kicked automatically anyway.

So besides teamkilling (which the server takes care of on its own), what other things are there that are worth a kick/ban?

Cheating?
                          How do you know they are cheating. Just today I was accused for the gazillionth time of cheating and yet I don't cheat. The top score guy was totally kicking my butt and we both ended up #1 on our team. At the end of the round I tell him GG and he says GG to me and we get accused of cheating. Unless someone is sitting in a wall or under the ground, which is obvious, there's no way you can say if someone has an aimbot, or speed hack, or whatever hack you guys think exists. Other blatant examples were the commander hack.. that one sucked.

All of those glitches were fixed though... so now it's up to the speculators and baseless accusers to play 'witch hunt'. Not my cup of tea :hmm:

Padders?
                          TBH these guys are easily disposed of and really don't get in the way of the game. If they sit on some corner of the map reviving and killing one another it's actually a pleasure to constantly break up their fun Not to mention, this pretty doesn't happen at all anymore. I've only seen a padder once in BF2 and that was in the very beginning of the game release. Not worth a monthly fee to kick people that simply don't exist anymore.

But I don't want to be all negative here. There are some good things about doing this:

1) Keep the chat spammers out. I hate those guys. They type in all CAPS with really long sentences that take up half the screen.

2) Get a group of guys together than actually want to win the round. I think it's safe to say that anyone paying to play every month is a more aware in-game than the average new player ... always a good thing.

3) For the very rare occasions of blatant cheaters or statpadders.. the problem won't last.

It would be worth it if it works, but there are a ton of alternative solutions out there like 21CW. It seems like a shameless plug but it is true...
                          - 21cw is free
                          - military command structure (generals, squads, cos, squad leaders, special forces squads, air force squads, etc)
                          - game is modded to fit the tourney
                          - smacktards are disposed of quickly

If you dont want the 'responsibility' of it all, there's always Gamespy Arcade which has monitored servers 24/7 -- plus you get some added benefits. Gamespy has been downhill for a while though so you'd have to tread carefully there.

Anyhoo.. enough ranting and raving from me. I think I made my point: Yes, there are alternative solutions out there and yes some of them are free but if you execute this properly I'm pretty sure it will work GL.. If not executed it's a bad idea that'll be a waste of your time and money.
                          Jesus Christ, I can't believe anybody that is a regular BF2 player would be too cheap to donate $5-10 a month for a reserved slot on his fav server

btw, I prefer servers w/ no rules except no team killing

Lieutenant General |SI|SERIALBUTCHER

2nd account |SI| SERIALBUTCHER[II]

peace

Comment

It's just me, but I won't pay for online gaming as I'm not that obsessive about it. If I did it for a living (i.e. income) then sure. I'll put money into some hobbies, like autocross, but those skills also come into play in real life. Gaming I can't do anything with. I see your point though, as people will buy several books each month to read (I use the library extensively) and that can add up to $15+ a month. Or they pay $35 gym membership and never go. But I know there are plenty of clans that charge for server support so there is defineately a market for it.

Comment

Originally posted by SciFiMan
                              It's just me, but I won't pay for online gaming as I'm not that obsessive about it. If I did it for a living (i.e. income) then sure. I'll put money into some hobbies, like autocross, but those skills also come into play in real life. Gaming I can't do anything with. I see your point though, as people will buy several books each month to read (I use the library extensively) and that can add up to $15+ a month. Or they pay $35 gym membership and never go. But I know there are plenty of clans that charge for server support so there is defineately a market for it.
                              Agreed, casual players should not have to pay, & by their "rep" should get good treatment from admins

However, if you reeeeeally like a server, you don't have to be a regular contributer, but do send in a lil' "love", just to let them know you appreciate when the kick a smaktard that won't back off lol

LG SB

peace

Comment

Working...
                              X