Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supersonic Gunshots in Battlefield 2

Interesting read:

I received an e-mail just recently from someone who said they had been inspired by my "Tactical Gaming Done Right" article to try to reproduce the supersonic 'crack!' of a bullet passing nearby in a game. This is something that has not until now ever come close to being replicated in any game that I know of.

He goes by the nick SurvivorGrim, and what he created serves as a superb example of the direction that combat audio in games should be heading. Using Battlefield 2 as a basis, he created a small sound mod that adds the supersonic crack effects into the game.

The result is quite simply amazing.

Spread this link around to any realism game or mod developers that you know. Forums, direct e-mails, whatever. The more awareness there is of this kind of audio phenomenon in reality, the more likely we'll get these sounds replicated in games.

The video can be downloaded here.
    Use this mirror if that one is slow.

I have included the text and video that inspired this mod below, for the reference of anyone who hasn't already read through my "Tactical Gaming Done Right" article.

Re: Supersonic Gunshots in Battlefield 2

very interesting indeed

downloading now,this would be cool in bf2 pump up the atmosphere even more.

Comment

Visit the site and watch the Google video of the effect in real life.

Comment

tbh i think that sound in a game would put me off, it may sound good and be more realisic but it would be anoying as hell hearing that sound every time someone shoots near you.

Comment

Well, I'm half wondering if the reason this type of sound hasn't been implemented in games is more because we're 'used to' the Hollywood version of a firefight.

Yes, this video depicts a first attempt .. but with a little tweaking, it could fit right in.

Comment

I can see (or hear) why it wasn't included in the game. 99% of the players would be like "Who's making popcorn lol".

Comment

lol i kind of like it...

Comment

Wow..it hit the DIGG.com front page.

Comment

btw where can i get this?

Comment

id like to have this not in games cause that is VERY annoying the snapping sound

Comment

Red Orchestra:Ostfront 41-45 does a real good job at supersonic crack effects in the game it has the best sound effects in a game iv played so far.

Comment

So far I think it's on the right track...

My only real problem is that the timbre of the sound never changes, only the volume.

The sound should be pretty much constantly different... if the bullot passes in front of your head or behind this would totally change the timbre of the sound.

He should create about 60 different samples all positioned around a center point, ie... the head. Then just add an some form of randomizer to keep it changing.

He should also take in account room sound as opposed to outside sound.

Idunno... alot to ask, maybe i should jump on it....

Id love to see more realistic recochet sounds.....
                        More then one bounce for instance...

All I can say is thank god for disk streaming.

Comment

that would be quit annoying ay

Comment

Originally posted by $gtbattlefield
                            that would be quit annoying ay
                            yea it would get annoying after a while, but it would still sound kwl

Comment

A room sound, well you wouldn't hear the bullet passing you. Seriously, anyone who's touched off a firearm inside a building can tell you, the guys in BF2 should be half deaf.

Especially with some of the guns we use in BF2. Shooting a 12 guage indoors? A shorty barreled assault rifle like the G36C, the M4 even, and the AKS-74U? A PKM for Gods sake?!?!

I've been indoors when pistols (.45acp - myself and a 9mm - police), SMG's (a 9x19mm MP5 - kill house) and a 5.56mm shorty LM6 assault rifle (shooting range with kill house) without protection on my ears and it is deafening. There isn't even time for the bullet passage to register, because of the close range the report and the bullet are miniscule time differences apart, and your ears simply close down.

Tinitus is a wonderful thing, especially when bombarded by full auto indoors. It is not healthy.

While I'd like to have some warning I'm being shot at in games, IMHO it's not something that's NEEDED, and it could be a hinderance, especially if it's CPU hungry.

KBK

Comment

Working...
                              X