So why should I buy branded RAM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So why should I buy branded RAM?

It is fairly obvious from the title but nonetheless I'll explain.

I have always bought value RAM and never really had a problem with apart from 1 defective stick out of like 6 I've bought. However I often see people on here going on about makes like OCZ, Corsair and other brands so why should I buy these brands that much more expensive over unbranded RAM?

I usually buy a 512mb PC3200 DD400 non branded value RAM. I really can't see any major advantages of spending extra money for what I can see is a marginal advantage.

Convince me.

EDIT: Oops, I meant to put this in Tech Center. Mods move it there please.

Re: So why should I buy branded RAM?

Originally posted by EAGLE_18

I have always bought value RAM and never really had a problem with apart from 1 defective stick out of like 6 I've bought. However I often see people on here going on about makes like OCZ, Corsair and other brands so why should I buy these brands that much more expensive over unbranded RAM?

I usually buy a 512mb PC3200 DD400 non branded value RAM. I really can't see any major advantages of spending extra money for what I can see is a marginal advantage.

Convince me.

I have 4x512 mb of PC3200 Hyper-x Matched Sets from Kingston and they are approaching a total three years of service on my machine without any problems. I paid about 300 for the first gig when they came out and about 130 for the second gig last year. I tried to buy them around spring time of a year so that the week that they are manufactored is within a month or so. That number can be identified on the RAM.

The board is a ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe, the cooler to the back is a Thermaltake Series 7 on top of a 3 gig 1mb cache, 800 FSB equippted Prescott Socket 478.

Because of the reliability of the ram, I will not hesistate to equipt my next build with the same Hyper-x or the new Hyper-x2 RAM, this time in a 4 gigabyte configuration.

Comment

I wont convince you. Most RAM chips only come from a handful of manufacturers, then rebranded. The guys selling the "high performance" RAM love heatsinks as it means you can't see that the chips are made by samsung or hynix, etc.

I feel branded memory is probably 30% more expensive than no name DIMMS for marginal performance increases.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy552(AWG)
        I have 4x512 mb of PC3200 Hyper-x Matched Sets from Kingston and they are approaching a total three years of service on my machine without any problems. I paid about 300 for the first gig when they came out and about 130 for the second gig last year. I tried to buy them around spring time of a year so that the week that they are manufactored is within a month or so. That number can be identified on the RAM.

The board is a ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe, the cooler to the back is a Thermaltake Series 7 on top of a 3 gig 1mb cache, 800 FSB equippted Prescott Socket 478.

Because of the reliability of the ram, I will not hesistate to equipt my next build with the same Hyper-x or the new Hyper-x2 RAM, this time in a 4 gigabyte configuration.
        i got same exact ram expect i got 2 x 1 gig PC4300 branded name last longer and faster and i love it

Comment

i buy a lot of no name ram. Asus A7N8X-x screwed me with not having Dual Channel...so id doesnt matter

Comment

Originally posted by EAGLE_18

Convince me.

Taken from THG:

"For memory, enthusiast memory vendors buy hand-picked high-grade components that outperform mainstream devices. High-grade memory tends to be capable of sustaining a frequency greater than its rated value or running at better memory-timing settings. Both paths lead to increased memory performance, which is imperative to improved system performance."

Comment

Yes manufactors like OZC, GSkill, Crucial, mushkin are all good brands. Usually they all overclock way more than the default freq is .
              Some of the PC-3200 rams can do 260-270mhz with 2.5:2:2:5 1T timings. With PQI you can only dream of it.
              Overall its pointless to buy good brand memory if your not a overclocker and wont take advantage of it. Running default speeds is waste of money.

Comment

Working...
              X