What does battlerecorder do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does battlerecorder do?

I was just wondering last night what battlerecorder does, was I played on a server with BR, downoaded it, and watched it back. Does anyone know any commands or what you are supose to do with it, thanks

Re: What does battlerecorder do?

Battlefield 2: BattleRecorder

The following commands can be used to control the game replay and camera in a recorded demo. (Note: the term "Demo" depicts the recording itself)

Q – opens the Playback Rose. Move the mouse to highlight the desired playback option and press the Left Mouse Button to select. Options available here that are not bound to separate keys include "Restart" and "Quit".
    T – opens the Camera Rose. Choose the camera option or cycle through the available players.
    1 – Pause the playback (also available in the Playback Rose).
    2 – Playback recorded session at normal speed (also available in the Playback Rose).
    3 – Playback recorded session at 5% of normal speed (also available in the Playback Rose).
    4 – Playback recorded session at 25% of normal speed (also available in the Playback Rose).
    5 – Playback recorded session at 50% of normal speed (also available in the Playback Rose).
    6 – Playback recorded session at normal speed (also available in the Playback Rose).
    7 – Playback recorded session at 150% of normal speed (also available in the Playback Rose).
    8 – Playback recorded session at 300% of normal speed (also available in the Playback Rose).
    Spacebar – cycle between players.
    Right Mouse Button – cycle between free camera and player camera.
    Mouse wheel – zoom camera in and out when locked onto a player.
    W, A, S, D, Ctrl and Shift – move free camera around map, forward, left, backwards, right, down and up.
    Mouse look – aim free camera.

Basic Rendering Instructions
    Playing back a demo outside the client and recording your camera movements
    This mode lets you record a camera path to go with a demo recording so that they can be played back together. The camera works exactly as described in the instructions above but all movements you make are recorded.
    If working from the machine that recorded the demo, drop the demo.cmd file provided with this update (click here to download the demo.cmd file) into the root of the Battlefield 2 install folder.
    If working from a client that has downloaded a demo from the game’s front end:
    Create a "Demos" folder in the root of the game install folder.
    Move the demos you wish to render from into the demos folder from their normal location in you’re my Documents folder.
    Drop the demo.cmd folder found below into the root of the game install folder.
    Launch the demo recording as follows
    Launch the Command Prompt and browse to the game’s install directory.
    E.g. type "cd c:\Program Files\EA Games\Battlefield 2" and hit ENTER
    Type "demo.cmd +c " and press enter.
    E.g. "demo.cmd +c mydemo mydemocam" will record a Demos\mydemocam.bf2cam for demo Demos\mydemo.bf2demo
    Before quitting the game, wait for the message 'camera file closed' in the console or the camera file will be broken.
    Playing back a demo with pre-recorded camera movements
    This mode combines the previous steps and shows you a take with both the demo and camera tracks active.
    Launch the game as follows: demo.cmd
    To watch the demo with the default recorded camera use: demo.cmd -def
    Rendering images to disk
    This mode writes out an AVI file to disk based on a demo file and a recorded camera file.
    Launch the game as follows: demo.cmd +r
    A dialog box pops up where you can select encoder (Xvid or Divx is recommended) and the quality settings for that encoder.
    If you want to stop rendering before the end of the demo, press 'R'
    Capturing sound
    This mode tries to set up an ideal environment for recording sound.
    Launch the game as follows: demo.cmd +s
    Use external recording software to capture the sound from the playback.
    Information for Server Admins

Impact on server performance The Battle recorder feature can impact server performance in two ways:
    A bandwidth hit (if the demos are uploaded on the same machine that is running the game server.) We strongly recommend that you do not run battlerecorder on the same server you are using to host gameplay. Instead, set up a separate ftp server to host demo files.
    A performance hit - dependant on the demo quality setting, which is found on the BF 2 server launcher UI. The demo quality setting can range from the default setting of 1 (lowest quality / minimal performance hit) to 10 (maximum quality / biggest performance hit.) Depending on the server specifications, you'll want to set your demo quality appropriately. We recommend no more than quality 5, the highest quality was built in for users that are creating movies / trailers with the Battlefield 2 engine. Due to the demands even the lowest setting of quality can have, we do not recommend running Battlerecorder on any server that is configured for 64-players.
    Requirements
    FTP server (only if using a separate machine from the server to host demos.)
    Web server - our in game downloading system requires http transfers, and does not support ftp downloading.
    How To Set It Up
    To activate the BF2 Battle Recorder using the BF2 Server Launcher UI the admin must:
    Enable the AutoRecord option.
    Input the address where users can download demo files (this has to be in the format of an http: address, as the Battlefield 2 front end does not support ftp downloads.) IMPORTANT - at the end of the address (i.e. 123.456.7.8/demos/) make sure you include the final slash, or the demo download url won't parse correctly in the Battlefield 2 front end, and clients won't be able to download your demo.
    If the FTP server is password protected (which we strongly recommend) the admin must use a text editor to make changes to the rotate_demo.cfg file located in the c:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2 Server folder to contain the proper server address, user login and user password.
    The section of the file you must edit is shown in its default state here:
    # login information for the ftp server goes here
    ftp_server = my.ftp.server
    ftp_user = my_user
    ftp_password = my_password

Make sure to enter the full address for the ftp server as shown below:
    # login information for the ftp server goes here
    ftp_server = ftp:\\1.2.1.1
    ftp_user = user
    ftp_password = userpassword

Inside the rotate_demo.cfg file, you will also be able to set the maximum number of demo files to keep in the rotation, before older demo recordings are overwritten.

Once the above steps have been completed correctly the server will post a recording of the action to the specified server at the end of each round.

Original Article can be found on http://planetbattlefield.gamespy.com...l&id=78&game=3.

Thought it would help you if you just view it through here. Hope it helps you.

Comment

WOW, thanks so much, I guessed half way through what you didn't write that yourself lol, now I can make my own BF2 films, so watch out for Gen.Willys films, thanks

Comment

cool, looking forward to some more movies.
        I've never been able to get battle recorder to work so I use Fraps instead.

Comment

if your looking to filming you might want to get fraps to film

Comment

it is good for screenshots as there is no weapon and hud in the way

Comment

When I start a battlerecorder file (one that works) it is paused. It will not unpause. How do I get it to PLAY?

Comment

Press 2 for normal speed, or cycle through the players using the space bar will start the BR demo.

Comment

I'd suggest that you pause the recording immediately after you enter the round; this way, you'll be able to find yourself or any other desired target/location on the map. After doing so, you can play the recording without having to find people that have already progressed amongst the map while you were "spawned" in some random location.

In Karkand, for example, you start out submerged in the canal near Cement Factory.

Comment

But what I mean was, I did an SP Jalalabad and I recorded it, and played it. It was paused, and it would not unpause. I don't know why it started like that.

Comment

If it appears "paused" as soon as you enter the recording, it may have immediately crashed. All of the recordings in my collection have a certain point within them, where it suddenly stops playing, but still allows me to move about the map. In this situation, a tank may be driving along, the crash occurs, then the tank continues to move in its current direction... the difference here is that vehicles like this tank will noclip through any obstructing buildings or other environments.

On one of my recordings, this crash takes place at about 3 minutes; on others, around 16-20 minutes. This leads me to think that it's possible for the playback to crash under 5 seconds.

If what I described sounds like your issue, you may as well delete the file, as there is nothing you can do about it.

Comment

Working...
                      X