Why I hate Frontline mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I hate Frontline mode

Probably the worst thing to happen to PoE since I started playing is that my favorite server (and it's hard to find favorite servers with a limited player base) started putting Frontline maps into its rotation. The reason why this is so bad for me is because I absolutely hate Frontline mode. To start off, I'll state that I think the idea of Frontline mode is fundamentally flawed (I think having 60 people fight over two flags is invariably a bad idea), but the reason I really hate Frontline mode isn't because of that, but because the maps and gameplay in Point of Existence specifically make Frontline mode an especially bad idea.

Point #1: There are an odd number of flags on most Frontline maps. This is a bad idea because it means that one team is going to have ticket bleed almost immediately depending on who reaches the middle flag first. For reasons that should be obvious, taking a flag in Frontline is more difficult than in Conquest, so the team that can bunker down at the middle flag first has a large advantage right off the bat.

Point #2: You lose all your back spawns when you capture flags further up the battlefield. This wouldn't be so bad if not for the fact that each flag usually spawns several vehicles, which will respawn but only for as long as you control that flag. Now revisiting the first point, what do you suppose happens when team #1 defeats team #2 when they meet at the middle flag? Team #2, having lost, presumably loses a large fraction of their tanks, APCs, and transports, while team #1 more than likely has some or many surviving the attack, which they no doubt will repair to full strength. Result? Team #1, which already has a large advantage in controlling the middle flag, also has more tanks and APCs since they have, in addition to whatever will continually respawn at their flag, anything from the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd flag that survived the attack on the middle flag. Being able to spawn at only one flag also lends itself to the possibility of base rape.

Point #3: This last point is really a problem against specific maps, but it warrants mentioning. Some of the Frontline maps have huge flat areas between flags, offering little to no cover. Trying to advance through that isn’t easy even when both forces are evenly matched, but as detailed in point #2, the two teams are very often not evenly matched. This may just be me being stupid, but if I see a barren field with no promising concealment and I suspect a superior force is waiting for me to try and cross through it, I generally try to avoid walking into said death trap. I won't delve too far into this, but on a side-rant when you try to fight a tank column just sitting in the middle of a field (remembering that your team has no aircraft and fewer tanks and that you can't easily go around it), it becomes painfully apparent how worthless the AT kit is at range.

Re: Why I hate Frontline mode

Thats funny because those are all the reasons I love frontline mode. Shouldn't you be taking this up with the owners of the server?

Comment

"frontline" from BF2:POE2...like"advance and secure" from BF2:PRMM....like "push map" from BF1942C

all have complex balance issues

your Point#1 is quite serious
      (but better than slow ticket bleed turning POE2 into a deathmatch game)
      due to the fact some people have slow computer
      the first 2-3 minutes of each game the server is effectively only 50% full

now 30 game start delay is already annoying some players so servers don't really want to increase that setting

Comment

I don't like the nurlur mode to much.
        Its really kinda of suckly and it is hard
        it's too hard for both sides to even do anything aganst one another

Comment

I liek front line mode, it gets really crazy in servers with that gametype.

Comment

I like FL a lot too and for most of the reasons the OP stated. Funny how the reasons some people hate something is the reasons others love it. I do think a couple of them need tweaks. Dnirprio Sunrise I think the name is one of the FL maps I dont like.

Comment

This is why we made the FL maps for 32 size with a suggested maximum of 40 players, they aren't designed for 60 people.
              I assume you're talking about the RubberDucky server?

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkenPirate
                This is why we made the FL maps for 32 size with a suggested maximum of 40 players, they aren't designed for 60 people.
                As above, Frontline is for smaller numbers of players. In fact, I find that 24 is pretty much the playable max before it turns into a fragfest. 64 players fighting over 2 flags seems like insanity to me and reminds me of Hotel Hell on Ranked Karkand servers. No thanks.

Frontline makes small team games really fun and prevents those silly flag hopping games you see on other 16 player maps sometimes. It actually opens up the opportunity for a lot of fun tactical gambits, where you need to time an engagement victory well before you advance. Push forward after a strong showing by your squad while your enemy respawns, but defend your flag just enough to prevent a sneak counter attack. I have seen many rounds turn around rapidly when a good squad is able to push back 3 flags in quick succession to regain bleed and close a high defecit.

Frontline can be fun if played right, but it's very volatile to tactical mistakes and can lead to a blowout if one team makes a powerful push or another team makes a serious mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by TG-Bommando
                  Frontline makes small team games really fun and prevents those silly flag hopping games you see on other 16 player maps sometimes. It actually opens up the opportunity for a lot of fun tactical gambits, where you need to time an engagement victory well before you advance. Push forward after a strong showing by your squad while your enemy respawns, but defend your flag just enough to prevent a sneak counter attack. I have seen many rounds turn around rapidly when a good squad is able to push back 3 flags in quick succession to regain bleed and close a high defecit.

Frontline can be fun if played right, but it's very volatile to tactical mistakes and can lead to a blowout if one team makes a powerful push or another team makes a serious mistake.
                  Thats exactly how I feel, I just did not know the words.

Comment

I like frontline because you can't just hop around a grab random flags, makes for some real good battles.

Comment

Working...
                    X