My idea for "fair" widescreen support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My idea for "fair" widescreen support

(I also posted this at www.total2142.com)

The 16:9 or 16:10 monitors are quickly becoming the default standard for both TV and computer displays.

Battlefield lovers who either have, or would like to purchase a widescreen display have lamented over the lack of support for widescreen in BF2.

Currently there are 2 options for widescreen users.

a) Use a 4:3 resolution and stretch the image: This results in interpolation on fixed pixel displays (ie: LCD) = both distorted and stretched picture

b) Use the resolution suffix code in the BF2 shortcut +szx +szy. This results in a non-stretched visual field....however.

- The menus and HUD are still distorted
    - The horizontal "field of view" is the same as 4:3. To accomplish this without stretching the TOP AND BOTTOM of the screen are cut off. Essentially "zooming in", and decreasing the vertical FOV.

This essentially give those using a widescreen display in this manner a vertical FOV disadvantage over there 4:3 counterparts.

Both a) and b) are unacceptable in my opinion for a new game.

Therefore, I propose the following solution.

Firstly, many people argue that giving those with widescreen monitors equal vertical FOV and increasing the horizontal FOV will add an advantage.

I concide this, however remember the CURRENT situation gives the same vertical advantage to 4:3 players! So regardless someone has an advantage

Therefore, I propose an comprimised FOV which takes into account "total viewable area"

4:3 Displays would function as currently

16:9 Displays would gain a slight amount of horizontal FOV and loose an equal amount of vertical FOV calculated by total area.

This would allow equal, biet different FOVs for both 4:3 and WS based on total viewable area, giving no one an obvious advantage, yet allowing both to play with their display devices formatted correctly.

This is a totally reasonable solution, and IMO DICE cannot hide behind the "unfair advantage" arguement.

Thoughts? Please comment

Re: My idea for "fair" widescreen support

Originally posted by =HPSF=Doctor Doom
    (I also posted this at www.total2142.com)

The 16:9 or 16:10 monitors are quickly becoming the default standard for both TV and computer displays.

Battlefield lovers who either have, or would like to purchase a widescreen display have lamented over the lack of support for widescreen in BF2.

Currently there are 2 options for widescreen users.

a) Use a 4:3 resolution and stretch the image: This results in interpolation on fixed pixel displays (ie: LCD) = both distorted and stretched picture

b) Use the resolution suffix code in the BF2 shortcut +szx +szy. This results in a non-stretched visual field....however.

- The menus and HUD are still distorted
    - The horizontal "field of view" is the same as 4:3. To accomplish this without stretching the TOP AND BOTTOM of the screen are cut off. Essentially "zooming in", and decreasing the vertical FOV.

This essentially give those using a widescreen display in this manner a vertical FOV disadvantage over there 4:3 counterparts.

Both a) and b) are unacceptable in my opinion for a new game.

Therefore, I propose the following solution.

Firstly, many people argue that giving those with widescreen monitors equal vertical FOV and increasing the horizontal FOV will add an advantage.

I concide this, however remember the CURRENT situation gives the same vertical advantage to 4:3 players! So regardless someone has an advantage

Therefore, I propose an comprimised FOV which takes into account "total viewable area"

4:3 Displays would function as currently

16:9 Displays would gain a slight amount of horizontal FOV and loose an equal amount of vertical FOV calculated by total area.

This would allow equal, biet different FOVs for both 4:3 and WS based on total viewable area, giving no one an obvious advantage, yet allowing both to play with their display devices formatted correctly.

This is a totally reasonable solution, and IMO DICE cannot hide behind the "unfair advantage" arguement.

Thoughts? Please comment
    Nice post but i dont know why you bothered im sure i read on here somewere dice are never going to do widescreen support for bf2 maybe bf2142 or bf3 .

Comment

^^ Probably, however they always use the FOV advantage as an arguement.

This is more of a theoretical discussion about how it can be possible to have 2 formats both on equal footing.

Comment

Good arguement, but I'd say 95% of combat is horizontal. I'd like to see a good example as to where that's not true. I really don't care about the issue, but as you said this is a debate.

Comment

have any of you see the Wide Screen petition or the post over at the suggestion area by Colin?

Comment

Nice idea, however:

1. I cannot believe that BF2 has no real support for wide screen. EA really live in the dark ages on this, some games have had real widescreen support i.e. adjustable FOV going back 3 years now.

2. BF2 should support all screen sizes regardless of shape or size. This would give a FOV advantage for wide screen users, I dont think there is anything wrong with this as that is what you paid for in the first place, a wider FOV. If u go out & purchase a 3 monitor setup giving a 180degree FOV thats up to you, your the one who is paying for it.

My point is that FOV should be adjustable to a point for all games so that gamers stand a chance of setting thier infinately different monitors to an acceptable quality. There are just to many different VDU sizes to not support them!

In fact BF2 as a game is rendering millions of dollars worth of hardware idle.

Comment

No thanks.

if you have a widescreen monitor YOU SHOULD HAVE AN ADVANTAGE.

Its the same as if you have a more powerfull graphic card, you get less fog and therefore and advantage. Period.

Comment

Its not all about miniscule advantages over your competitor.

The bigger your screen the more you have to look at & take in. Meaning you must do more mental processing to take in your simulated environment.

I do understand how frustrating it is when your mates allways have a better faster PC than you (i.e. more money) & you find it unfair, but its not all about spending money its about playing the game .

Comment

Originally posted by X-ander
                  Its the same as if you have a more powerfull graphic card, you get less fog and therefore and advantage. Period.
                  couldn't have said it better myself!

Comment

Originally posted by X-ander
                    Ummm... I have a GeForce 7800 GT OC, and I still have fog.. Could you elaborate on that? Are you saying if you have a good card, you can see through the fog better?

Comment

Originally posted by =HPSF=Doctor Doom
                      ^^ Probably, however they always use the FOV advantage as an arguement.

This is more of a theoretical discussion about how it can be possible to have 2 formats both on equal footing.
                      They don't use advantage as an argument.

In fact, they CLAIM it is because widescreen monitors aren't prevalent enough to warranty the additional support.

Comment

Working...
                      X