bf2 gameplay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bf2 gameplay

This is a list of gameplay related problems that i have with the game, and ideas i have to remedy them. Some of the gameplay problems are due to bugs, but mostly, they are simple imbalance that can be fixed easily. While dices heart was in the right place, it may not have taken the best course of actions in making these changes, not that the game was perfect to start with. This is a plea for you not to give up, to do the work and take the time nessecary to remedy these problems, for the sake of the series and for the sake of your good name. I would seriously pay another 50 bucks for a patch, i dont even want more content, just fix the game plz!

Communication

Commander talk to unassigned
    The commander should be able to talk directly to unassigned via the standard voip button. Unassigned can’t talk back to them to maintain squad leader communication.

Close range talk
    A new communication channel should be implemented that is for friendlies that are close to you. Think of the possibilities, commander and unassigned can talk directly to the friendly units that are around them. Also, it wouldn’t matter who jumps in the attack helicopter with you, because you can talk directly to them without managing squads.

GUI

Spawn GUI
    Show how many people are spawning at a spawn point on the spawn GUI with a number next to the point. If everyone is going to spawn on the deck, I would like to know about it so I can spawn elsewhere. This is especially important at the beginning of a round. Also it would be nice if translucent friendly players were displayed on the spawn GUI like unoccupied vehicles are now.

Kit and squad GUI
    When checking what kits my squad and team have, I often find a skull where if they were alive it would be their kit. On the squad GUI and scoreboard put the dead in red and alive in blue, so that we can still see the kit symbol regardless of if they are dead or alive. It would also be good to know how many of a given kit are on the entire team, this info would go on the kit selection GUI next to each kit.

Manage Squads GUI
    Change the manage squad colors so that players already on a squad would show up green, regardless of weather they are living or dead. This would save a lot of headache. (i am talking about people that arent in your squad already)

Explosives

General
    Engineers, snipers and spec ops should only be able to remove/pickup/destroy thier own explosives, or the enemies, but not teammates. Friendly mines/claymores/c4 should have a blue x, and your own should be yellow.

Mines
    Enemy mines should be invisable unless a friendly engineer is "in range", then they should have a red x. Mines should be destructable, but should be half as strong as a commander asset.

C4
    Enemy c4 should be visable but shouldnt have a red x. C4 should be able to be disabled by shooting it a couple times, or chucking a grenade near it.

Claymores
    Enemy claymores should be visable but shouldnt have a red x unless a friendly engineer is "in range". Claymores should be able to be disabled by shooting them or chucking a grenade near them, given the fact that they use an ir sensor, its only fair.

Disable and take
    Engineers should be able to disable c4. Snipers and spec ops should be able to pick up thier types of explosives.

Air Combat

AA: Bugs
    Anti air missiles that are properly lead and are on target should not deviate on some airframes, unless ofcource for flares. Adjusting the lock angle and turn rate alone is probably not the answer; the hitboxes and heat sources may need to be repaired.

AA: Proper
    Anti air missiles should be able to be outturned on all airframes. The problem with simply adjusting the lock angle and turn rate is that different jets turn at different rates. Why not make differently coded aa missiles fire based on the airframe its locking on. That way we can keep the diversity of the airframes but they can all lose missiles. Another idea would be if when you press fire the missile flys straight and when you let go it starts tracking the target, but a properly adjusted launch sequence could easily fix that aswell. If collateral damage is a factor in why aa is so screwed up, a simple fix for that would be to make it so when you fire a missile, it either goes for your lock, or a flare, but no other target. I am sure there are other possible fixes but as is, aa simpy doesnt work as well as it should on most airframes and it seems that the wrong code was tweaked to try and fix that. You should have to lead your target if they are turning in, and it should miss if they turn out while you are leading. Jets should be able to out-turn missiles that werent properly launched.

AA: Range
    Anti air missiles range should be increased to at the very least by 1/4. Jets basically can fly without regaurd for ground aa. I can see a jet clearly fly past me at mid level and i cant even get a lock. As for how this would effect helicopter balance, a good pilot can use his terrain to keep the lock off no matter what the range. As long as the TVGM can can out range the aa, there shouldnt be a problem.

ESSEX
    Give essex tank armor so the jets cannon cant hurt it much and it actually has to bomb it. ive toyed around with alot of ideas to fix the essex/jet balance and i think this maybe the answer.

Jet/AAA/ESSEX/apc cannon
    I dont know exactly how to balance this with the rest of the game, but the jet/AAA/ESSEX/apc cannon's should be able to do way more damage to jets. If i get a good lead on an enemy jet even for a moment, he should be toast.

Attack helicopter
    Give the noobs back thier precious 14 rockets, but give them bigger splash damage and very weak anti armor capability. Hellfire shouldnt blow up at the end of guidence, it should just fly straight. Remove the wait time to fire the tv guide. Only give one one volly of rockets, no mid air rearm.

Transport helicopter
    Put saws on the blackhawk and end this shananigence.

Jets
    Jets simply decelerate and accelerate far too slow. I dont want to stop mid air, but dog fighting leaves something to be desired when it takes something like 10 seconds to slow to a land, it limits our tactics. the heavy bombers in af are the only ones that should be able to survive 2 aa missiles. jets should have ejection seats.

Spotting/menu

Bugs n' stuff
    Sometimes enemy spots show up yellow. Sometimes, when i spot, nobody can see it, because of the spotted range. Most of the time, if theres anything in between the spotted icon and the target, the spot wont happen, it hasent always been this way. How about a smaller spot target, so we can aim right at it, rather than on the edge of the spot menu. Also if we miss a spot i dont want any voice "enemy spotted".

Useless chatter
    ENEMY TANK SPOTTED, ENEMY INFANTRY SPOTTED, HERES AMMO, HERES MEDIC! Give us an option to turn off that headache, or at least make it so that range specific things like "ammo here!", arent heard across the battlefield and everything else is heard very little. For instance, after the first spot of a target, you dont emit that same target again for a while, unless its new, in a limit of 2 seconds per spot, same can be done with all the menu communication, like "ammo here!".

Helpful chatter
    Id like to be able to spot unoccupied vehicles as well as enemy explosives. Id like to be able to alert people near me, that i have ammo, repairs, or health, without dropping anything. When i right click need repair, it should ask for a medic. I should be able to tell people near me, aka my driver, to stop.

Ground and sea movement

Boat
    Boats are too slow, increase thier speed by 2 fold at the very least.
    Ground vehicles
    All ground vehicles should go faster, the modern tank can get around quite well. No gound vehicle should take damage from anything short of a crash or a cliff, these are supposed to be military vehicles.

Torque
    All ground vehicle, and the soldier, cant get up the smallest of hills, if battlefield is supposed to be a fast paced game, this is definitly limiting that. you either have to walk around forever, or find just the right place to slowly inch your way up. Why not just let us go right up, in a vehicle or on foot! im not talking about mountains, just little hills.

Soldier
    Stamina should regenerate very fast when the player isnt moveing. The fire delay from falling or standing is far too long, its almost a second, it should be an isntant. There should also be an instant of a fire delay when going prone, to make it less of an isntaprone fest. You should need 1/4 stamina to jump. No proneing mid air. Sprint should be a bit faster.

Spawning

Squadhopping
    I think i speak for the majority when i say the problem with squad hopping was squad cycling. What i am saying is, we should be able to select a squad while dead, just not spawn on it till we have spawned once.

APC and transport heli
    Make apc and transport heli mobile spawn points, nuff said.

Red spawns
    The area around a flag, that designates a spawn as red should be significantly larger, and we should be able to spawn on the red when an enemy is causing it. Let me put it this way, if an enemy is camping close to any of the spawn locations at a spawn, it should be red.

Kits

Balance
    First off the term assault, actually means, take capture territory and defeat the enemy. Medic is far superiour at doing that then assault is, so in the interest of balance and gameplay, i suggest the following chages. All kits except assault get 2 grenades and that assault gets 5 grenades. grenades should take longer to rearm. Engi/at/support all get 1 speed, medic/spec ops get 2, and assault/sniper get a speed of 3. Either give all assault 2 flash or give no assault flash. 3 smoke, that last longer than an instant. Medic bags heal slowly and gradually when thrown but when held, much faster.

Commander

General
    Dont let commanders drive/pilot in general. Nor can they get into attack vehicles. If they are a commander, they cant get in a drivers seat, and they cant accept commander role when driving. when there is no commander, there let his assets work by request.

UAV & scan
    People in buildings should not be scanned or uaved. Snipers shouldnt be scanned or uaved when they are static, and in vegitation. vehicles that cant be seen from the air, that are under ahanger or cannopie also should not show up.

Arty/supply/vehicle drop
    Dont let commanders arty/supply/vehicle drop in enemy uncap areas.

Weapons and vehicles

Small arms
    1 at missile should take out an attack chopper, 2 or three for the transport. the default assault rifles (ak/m16) dont have enough range, they need to be boosted to 1000 to compete with all the unlock rifles and carbines. pump shotties should pump a bit quicker.

Tank
    Tank cannon should be a one shot kill to any air vehicle. the top of the tank should be a sweet spot.

ROE
    remove the inhouse rules, they are pretty much up to admin interpretation and remove the players rights. mostly they are all things having to do with general gameplay inbalance.

Bugs
    hit detection seems not to work half the time. weather its an at missile flying right through a jeep or my tank round hitting an enemy tank, actually seeing it get pushed back, yet no damage.

this list isnt complete, more will come.

Re: bf2 gameplay

...not done reading yet. Like it so far.

What do you mean by giving the Essex "armor"? The AA?

Comment

Originally posted by onEhittah
      What do you mean by giving the Essex "armor"?
      basically a jet wouldnt be able to just cannon the essex, they would have to bomb it, because cannon wouldnt hurt essex much.

Comment

Sorry to still be missing the point, but you can't damage the Essex, only it's AA guns and the people on it. And yes, it's guns are easily destroyed by cannons. If that's what you mean, I get it.

As well as, I agree the guns on the Essex should shred planes. It'd keep me away.

As of now, if you catch a plane comming at you from a distance, it's not too hard to take one down. But if you're caught off guard, well you know, forget about it.

As far as your other ideas. Excellent. Sign me up. I especially like most your points on UAVs.

Oh and "Useless chatter". Hear, hear. I've hit the mute button on my keyboard many-a-times bro. *Just Shut The Fornt Door(STFU) and command ffs! Gosh!*

Comment

i think you got it, basically when i say essex, i mean the entire essex system, so ya, the aa gun. and yes you can knock an enemy jet out of the sky with the cannon but they have a huge advantage being that you will always be in one spot and they could come from anywhere.

Comment

I dunno what you are talking about with the cannon, but it shreds planes like crazy. Giving it tank armor would definetely balance it though. The cannon on the Essex is fine.

Great ideas roger, keep em coming. I always thought that squad cycling was an awesome part of the game, and cant believe they removed it. BRING IT BACK!

Comment

about the cannon, i will adjust that part of the thread accordingly, it just seems that the jets cannon doesnt do enough damage to other jets, because when i get a good lead on my enemy, it doesnt seem to do much damage, maybe the problem is that its doing no damage, cant tell, but i see the hits.

anyway, about squad cycling, i actually disagree with you there, what i was saying is that hopping wasnt a problem, just cycling, but thats just my opinion.

oh well, thanx for the vote of confidence, cheers.

Comment

Stone me for being realistic, but those are nice wishes. BF2 might receive a few more small tweaks, but nothing of that scale. All development effort is focused on 2142 now, and will be moving forward.

I wish it were different, because what you've said makes a lot of sense.

Comment

As good as all thsi stuff sounds, i think its time we put all the "how BF2 should be" threads in the bin..
                  Lets face it 1.4 was the last if not econd to last patch...what we have I think is what Bf2 will end as.

Comment

Originally posted by roger smith
                    about the cannon, i will adjust that part of the thread accordingly, it just seems that the jets cannon doesnt do enough damage to other jets, because when i get a good lead on my enemy, it doesnt seem to do much damage, maybe the problem is that its doing no damage, cant tell, but i see the hits.

anyway, about squad cycling, i actually disagree with you there, what i was saying is that hopping wasnt a problem, just cycling, but thats just my opinion.

oh well, thanx for the vote of confidence, cheers.
                    the jet cannon rips apart other jets very easily. but the shots will NOT register in a turn, and sometimes for no reason at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Blades
                      the jet cannon rips apart other jets very easily. but the shots will NOT register in a turn, and sometimes for no reason at all.
                      ya i guess thats my problem then.

Comment

That's an impressive list, very usefull things you've written down. If only a few things get done in a next patch hopefully, I would be very happy. But nevertheless very good and some good tips for perhaps a next game.

Commander doesn't get points for killing and I think that's enough. Too bad if they're stupid enough to not command. This are one of these things which makes 1 team better then the other by having a competent commander. And sometimes I like at start of round to take first step on battlefield as commander. It can make me win the match.

Also the communication part seems not doable. I'm sure the voip already takes enough resources as it is.

The attack heli should stay like this imo. There's just not enough people that can fire tv guided missile properly.

Wonderfull idea about the red spawn as well. But I think there should be other set of fresh spawns when flag area gets overrun to prevent spawncamping. So this would create a sort of flanking and open up interesting fights instead of easy duckshooting.
                        Also you might be mistaken with the red spawns, it happens when too many people spawn at the same time. Then again I'm not sure how it works really.

I don't think assault should have the biggest stamina if that is what you mean. I still makes sense to me that they have lower stamina cos of body armour but perhaps make their stamina bigger would do fine.

Anyway I think they should consider fixing this game and not focus all their work on BF2142. It would only help their franchise if they got this game right in the end. Why not make this also a game like counterstrike that last long time. BTW BF2142 is not similiar like bf2, different time setting and all.

Cheers and peace out !

EDIT

Perhaps if you like you can add 1 idea of me If you agree with it that is. I think the biggest problem with squads atm is that people don't spawn on SL enough. When the SL is dead they spawn on a flag which makes the squad spread out.
                        This might seem too harsh but I think you should only be able to spawn on SL when in a squad. Don't have better idea then that

Comment

Very nice job at articulating some points of contention. *+1 karma*

Comment

Originally posted by cantina_fly
                            Stone me for being realistic, but those are nice wishes. BF2 might receive a few more small tweaks, but nothing of that scale. All development effort is focused on 2142 now, and will be moving forward.

I wish it were different, because what you've said makes a lot of sense.
                            Originally posted by Peoplekillingmachine
                            As good as all thsi stuff sounds, i think its time we put all the "how BF2 should be" threads in the bin..
                            Lets face it 1.4 was the last if not econd to last patch...what we have I think is what Bf2 will end as.
                            i was seriously considersing cutting this thread down to the essentials, which is pretty much the fixed aa/air to ground balance and destructable claymores. ill admit that everything else on this list is fluff.

Comment

Working...
                            X