The problem with vehicles in BF2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The problem with vehicles in BF2

First of all, there isn't enough tanks, APCs, airplanes, and attack helos to go around for everyone to be happy and compete. Noobs don't get it when they see high ranked players standing around doing nothing, while the experienced players are waiting for what they know is the only method to rack up the highest scores.

Sadly, BF2 claims to be about team play, but that's very far from the truth. The only beneficiary of the team victory is the commander who gets his score doubled. Everyone else gets the same score regardless of which team wins. So, why should I help my team cap the TV Station flag in Sharqi, when I can instead find two enemy infantry to kill and, that way, get more points than anyone in the squad who worked hard to cap the TV Station?

Furthermore, who is benefitted most by the USMC loss of the TV Station flag? Think about it. It's most likely the MEC attack helo whores who will have fewer threats in the air than there would've been had the TV Station and it's USMC helo spawn point not fallen. Is this fair? I don't think so.

Solution: Reward the winning team with more points. Give team players even more reward points. Exclude attack vehicle whores from the team bonus points and encourage them to get points by getting kills only. That's what they are good for anyway!

Re: The problem with vehicles in BF2

And to make it worse teammates won't spawn at the TV station to ensure it is retained.

Why? Because then they spawn too far away from the enemy and the points, causing the tv station to be lost again.

Comment

Here's an idea: How about giving players points, maybe one every minute, just for staying at a flag to defend it. It's hardly going to make you the top scorer but it should at least give some incentive to defend the TV station and other crucial points.

Comment

Originally posted by SQUiB_2154
        Here's an idea: How about giving players points, maybe one every minute, just for staying at a flag to defend it
        i doubt that will ever happen
        dis one time on Karkand (there was like 35 AEF members) i was USMC and i was getting back flags, and i was the only one there capping and retaining over and over again untill 15 minuts later someone decides to finally come and help

Comment

Originally posted by Comrad_Joe
          dis one time on Karkand (there was like 35 AEF members) i was USMC and i was getting back flags, and i was the only one there capping and retaining over and over again untill 15 minuts later someone decides to finally come and help
          Lol, reminds me of a time on Songhua, defending the main on my own for 15 minutes asking for help say every minute. I got so used to the idea I was on my own that when 2 teammates arrived to help on foot, I was so surprised that I shot them dead on sight.:cry:

Comment

you can't give points for winning, it would just encourage team stacking, and that's really big problem already

Grabbing / holding TV station has really big incentive ; you, as infantry, don't get pounded by 2 tanks, apc and chopper as USMC (vs no tanks, apcs and choppers) , or your work is eased by enemy having 0 armor as MEC. If you're MEC on Karkand, and enemy has 2 tanks and 4 apcs versus your 0 - you'll make a fast transition from infantry to cannon fodder.

Flags are usually almost worthless for points they give, but are often REALLY important for equipment they spawn (or in some rare cases, their location as a spawn point). Games are often decided by how much equipment you can seize, and how well you use (and protect) it. Not only because vehicles are good vs. infantry, but because it can be used to wreck your opponents vehicles, especially with superior numbers, or it can be used to perform something that infantry can't.

But you have to know this, to see the importance. Probably most of people who read this do. But go to average 64plr server, and most of people don't really care or pay attention to this. They just don't spend enough time with the game to bother thinking about the big picture and crap. How many of you know how to play chess ? How many of you actually know few openings and understand why / how they work ?

If answered "no" to latter question and ask yourself "why ?", the answer is probably the same as what's the answer of the people who don't bother going to / defend TV station.

Comment

I also don't understand why when MEC don't get chopter when they cap TV Station. But it is true that there is not a tank or jeep for everyone.

Comment

There is no more use in suggestion threads anymore, since the last patch was already released.
                Stop yacking and get off this neck!

(Or whatever he's sayin there )

Comment

Originally posted by GbeTech
                  There is no more use in suggestion threads anymore, since the last patch was already released.
                  Stop yacking and get off this neck!

(Or whatever he's sayin there )
                  Thanks god, someone said it
                  I think we should be happy that the patch worked for alot of people
                  and there is less problems

Comment

I like most of your ideas, lets not whine, lets just enjoy the game for what it is.

Comment

Hey. I got an idea. How bout we all just quit being slaves to points?

How bout my incentive to do anything is to work as a team and win.

It's impossible to revamp the point system in a way that will eliminate Grabasses from doing what they do.

Plus, a sure way to get shot in the face is to be hitting tab all the time. I like to get totally emersed in the battle only to surprisingly find a nice reflection of my efforts in a high score.

Not all, but a lot of the guys who get highscores are one trick ponies that farm noobs on pub servers. Put them in a highly competitive situation with worthy opponents and they often find themselves unable to adapt in order to overcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Comrad_Joe
                        i know how ya feel, i spotted some guys taking market on a 16 player kark, i go and kill them and take it back but the same squad just keep going for square and market, with just me defending them... no matter how many times they killed me id go back and have another pop at them and try to get the flag. i asked for help repeatedly but eventually got so frustrated i called my team a bunch of useless... (very naughty word lol) and got instabanned!

Comment

I been repeating myself lately and Im about to do it again, here goes.
                          First the games point system should be set up so you cant get that certin kit badge by being commander or a pilot. (how many people got the expert medic in a jet?) Second at the end of the round all the even numbered (2,4,6,etc.) people from the score list should be team one and the odd numbered (1,3,5, etc.) should be team two. Also there should be no team switching allowed you must leave the server and then return to change teams but its gonna put you on the team with the least amount of players so. Third and finally if your team wins the round by 50 points then everyone on the winning team gets 50 points added to thier global score but this doesnt count toward the gold, silver, bronze medals. These points should show up in your stats as team points too.
                          Ok, thats it. What do you think? Oh and it doesnt matter if these changes wont be done. I still think they are good Ideas. . . . . . . . . .Red

Comment

markan dorka,
                            "you can't give points for winning, it would just encourage team stacking, and that's really big problem already"

Good point there. It escaped my thinking, but still; team stacking is a different problem that should be tackled separately. Or, you know what they can do, give mad points to flag cappers, like 10 points. Same treatment for flag defenders. But attack vehicles don't get these extra points...

GbeTech,
                            "There is no more use in suggestion threads anymore, since the last patch was already released."

So y bother reading them? Truth is: the makers of the game can still improve it in future patches.

big_bus159
                            "I like most of your ideas, lets not whine, lets just enjoy the game for what it is."

Exactly, and I'm not trying to whine here or anything. I myself can be a vehicle whore. In fact, 30% of my 500 hrs game play is in attack vehicles. I'm merely suggesting what I honestly think will make the game a fair one for everyone, be it infantry players or vehicle whores.

redrider
                            "First the games point system should be set up so you cant get that certin kit badge by being commander or a pilot. (how many people got the expert medic in a jet?) Second at the end of the round all the even numbered (2,4,6,etc.) people from the score list should be team one and the odd numbered (1,3,5, etc.) should be team two. Also there should be no team switching allowed you must leave the server and then return to change teams but its gonna put you on the team with the least amount of players so. Third and finally if your team wins the round by 50 points then everyone on the winning team gets 50 points added to thier global score but this doesnt count toward the gold, silver, bronze medals. These points should show up in your stats as team points too."

Right. I actually got my expert medic in the attack chopper in Sharqi, and I'm planning to do the same for all my other expert badges. Call me lame, but the real lamers are the designers of the game. I exploit stupidities like this. As for your team balancing suggestions, I don't mind them because I'm a lonewolf. I'm not a part of a squad or clan or have any friends who play the game, but I know if I were a member of a squad, I'd hate to be separated from them. I'd wanna play with my friends. Anyway, skill based or rank based team balancing should at least be an option to server admins. As for adding the remaining tickets to the winning teams points, I think you know it's a raw suggestion that'll need to be revised, but then again, most of what we say would have to be revised before it's implemented.

Comment

I'll catch hell for this...

Nah man, the real problem with vehicles in BF2 is that anyone can get in: we need licensing systems for jets and helis so that idiots won't end up costing their team a win because they keep grabbing the vehicles and ramming them into trees or flying about aimlessly.

Once the system is up, yeah... everyone can hop in vehicles, but the licensees can boot you for the spots. I don't really know why I'm writing this because DICE would never have the balls to implement something like that.

For those of you who are interested, keep in mind that the Enemy Territory system allows you to get rid of unwanted copilots when you have buddies on teamspeak or vent.

Comment

Working...
                              X