fast as hell loading.... hopefully

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fast as hell loading.... hopefully

Bulding up a computer and have given thought to using compact flash cards to speed up gaming. the argument against it is that CF cards can't handle a lot of rewrites and would brake down on me quickly. what if I had a full install of BF2 on a compact flash card but was somehow able to direct the rewriteable files to the main harddrive? files like logs, drivers, and patches that are updated or added can go on to my regular hard drive and all the other "read only" files are on the CF card.

would this work?

Re: fast as hell loading.... hopefully

Wouldnt have thought the CF card or your card reader would have the speed. You actually need one of these:

Which is made for the task you want to acheive. Although the advantage is minimal. Best thing you can do to speed up loading is to have a truckload of fast RAM and an optimised hard drive.

Comment

2 things though. I'll be using an IDE adapter for the CF card. And I'll be using a nano-itx board, so no pci slots for me. some specs for your paruuuuuuzal.

Transcend 8GB 120x CompactFlash Card
      Nvidia Go 7900 GTX (for the mini-pci port)
      1GB DR400 SODIMM
      VIA EPIA NL 10000 Nano-ITX
      Hitachi E7K100 60GB 7200rpm 2.5"

now you may be wondering "why so little"? well I scored a cobalt qube case, and I need to go small!

Comment

Check hyperos drive 4, expensive tho.

Comment

i'd get it. but its too big. i'm working with a cobalt qube case here. if they had one of those for laptom ram i'd get it. it would probably fit the case.

and for that kind of cash i'll get a SSD!!! hey whats the size of a full install on BF2???

Comment

you can get external 5 inch bays, and hyperos has a version which can support 16 gigs.

Comment

yeah i saw that. its dependant on power though and I know for sure that i'll be moving with it a lot. plus i cant go with 3.5 HD's cause of size constraints as well.

what other speed options are there?

Comment

I'd love to see what you come up with.... Keep us informed

Comment

Working...
                X