All this negativity...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All this negativity...

Hey all, I'm relatively new to this forum, and to BF2 as well, but something has been bothing me about most of the posts I've read on this forum: you all are blaming EA/Dice for poor gameplay, when in reality, BF2 is probibly the best game on the PC when it comes to multiplay. And also, I would like to state that I have a background in firearms and tactical shooting (IPSC, USPSA), so any comments I make in regards to the weapons in-game will be as accurate to my experiences with real steel as I can be. I'm not looking to start a flame war, but I'm just going to post a few thoughts on here for you all to consider and hopefully get an open discussion going.

The M-95 Sniper Rifle:
    Many people complain about this rifle, because it has been severely dumbed-down from it's real world counterpart. The relatively low damage, inaccuracy, and the fact that it has been transformed into a bolt-action rifle in comparision to semi-auto version in use by the military. I have to praise Dice for what they did with this gun. The manner in which they limited it's damage to 90% for a body shot preserves gameplay and forces anyone using it to still maintain some level of skill with sniping. If they were to make it lethal with one shot, and semi-auto, try to imagine what servers would be like... If you've ever played Counter-Strike, it's not that hard. You would effectively have the same gameplay in BF2 as you would in a CS server filled with AWP lamers. The fact that the power and firing rate have been reduced forces anyone using it to be just as tactful and wary of close encounters as a sniper should be. And the fact that it can shoot through glass is what makes the weapon worthwhile - there has to be some aspect of the gun which makes it worth the unlock, and that was it. Every gun is different, just as every tool is different, and the M-95 has it's niche in the game, as it should.

Mines and Claymores:
    Yes, they're a pain in the @ss. I don't know how many times I've gone up a ladder to get blown away, or unexpectedly blew up reversing in a vehicle... But, this is modern warfare, and as such, both of these items are part of of that. You're playing a game where the objective is to eliminate enemy troops, and no matter how these two items are used, they're effective to that task. Whining about them doesn't change the fact that you weren't cautious enough. You're on a battlefield, not a playground.

Bunny-hopping/Dolphin diving:
    While bunny-hopping wouldn't be incredibly recommended under live-fire in real life, ever since the implementation of jumping has come to FPS games, it's been part of the genre. If you don't like it, go back to playing DOOM 2. After 10 years of people bunny-hopping, you sould expect this in every game, don't blame Dice for it. As for the Dolphin diving, I think that the delay in 1.4 is really going to help get rid of this. Not immediately, because people have their habits, but you'll notice it's a bit harder to get a good bead on your enemy now when you're getting up, and the extra half second or so it takes is going to get alot of those players killed, because they're effectively motionless and unable to fire.

Rank/Commander:
    Would you really want someone who has had the game installed for 2 hours to be considered your equal when applying for commander? The system Dice has now works great in my opinion. Yea, I know, you're still going to have some people stat farming and point whoring, but what can you do? The federal government can't keep people from finding loopholes in the tax code... Do you really expect Dice to create the perfect system for rating players? So long as any system for any objective is in place, people WILL find a way to cheat it.

And there's much more I could state with regards to complaints against Dice and EA, but essentially, what it all boils down to, is the quality of the people you're in a server with, because the game itself rocks. If the game was terrible, you wouldn't be playing it. The only reason so many of you are complaining is because you're playing against/with a bunch of idiot bullet dodgers, stat padders, and every other idiot known to FPS - and yes, while that may make you want to quit playing all together, you don't. And the reason for that is you can join another server right after that where everything comes together perfectly. Your squad moves as one, your medics heal, your support lays down suppressing fire, your sniper picks off the guy at the MG nest, and you capture the flag and save the day. The game is fine, it's all just a matter of the people playing it.

Anyways, that's just my 2¢

Re: All this negativity...

Wow, nice post i enjoyed reading that. I agree about what you said with the ranking system, i love it as its just awesome to see people with high ranks wiping people out and how the higher the rank the more privileges your account has like applying for commander and having more unlocks. I dont see why people moan about the ranking system i bet if Dice turned around and got rid of it everyone would go absolutely crazy about it and fume.

Comment

"You're on a battlefield, not a playground" - helo229

just owned all those whiners LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Helo229
        Mines and Claymores
        i dont mind mines, you dont spawn in a tank. but claymores used to be destructable, and with good reason. its simply unacceptable for a 180 degree ir sensored death machine to not be destructable. you end up having snipers that assault and claymore spam, this is just bad gamedesign. they thow them at spawn and with mine ff off, they can dance all over them. the claymore situation is simply not ok any way you cut it.
        Bunny-hopping/Dolphin diving
        simply put, bunny hopping, dolphin diving, insta prone, and prone spam are all lame and have no place in a game like this. maybe if this was an arena shooter like quake or ut, but it isnt. so what if games of the past did it, we arent playing game of the past, try to be a bit progressive.

air combat is screwed to all hell aswell. and nade spam runs rampid. basically with the amount of money and time the players of this game have invested, its inapropriate for gameplay issues to still be around.

Comment

Roger you are being negative. Good post Helo.

Comment

Nice post. My only comment about it is in regards to bunny hopping. Yes bunny hopping has been around since Doom 2, and gamers have been complaining about it just as long. This fact alone would make me, if I were a game developer, do everything in my power to remove this loathed aspect from my game, and make my game stand out from the rest. Who knows, might even generate a few extra revenue dollars.

CoD removed bunny hopping, well sort of, by introducing a two second delay between jumps and a slow down of movement (to simulate a form of recovering after the jump). When you jump, you can't jump again for two seconds and you move a little slower as well. It's amazing how many rounds can pumped into a person in the two seconds they are trying to bunny hop across a field and their movement is limited.

The gaming community as a whole has had two major complaints about games in general: Bunny hopping and cheaters. Cheaters are for the most part taken care of by Punkbuster. Those of you who dont believe that must not have experienced bf42 before the 1.6 patch which introduced Punkbuster to the BF Franchise.

10+ years of gamers complaining about bunny hopping is far to long to still have it released in today's games. Developers need to ensure that bunny hopping is addressed with each game they release, rather than attempting to fix it eight patches later. It not that hard when first coding the game to code this when the jump key is pressed:

If KEY = SPACE then
            If Jump_Unavailable = True Then
            Player_Health = Player_Health - 25 'Loss of health penalty for attempting bunny hop
            Player_Speed = Player_Speed - (Player_Speed / 5) 'Player speed reduction penalty
            Else
            Player_Height = Player_Height + 3 'Player jumps
            Player_Speed = Player_Speed - (Player_Speed / 2) 'Player speed reduced for duration of timer
            Jump_Unavailable = True
            Jump_Timer.Enabled = True 'Timer Starts

End If
            End If

See how easy that was and it only took a few minutes to conceive and write.

All I am saying is if every television purchased by consumers had a black bar through the middle of the screen and this annoyed all said television consumers, which it would, don't you think that television manufacturers would fix it in their newer sets in less than ten years?

I love BF2 and I deal with the numerous bugs, both already fixed and still not fixed, simply because it is a fantastic, diverse and challenging game. Those that don't like it should follow some advise I was given by my martial arts instructor:

If you don't love what you are doing and doing what you love, then find something else to do otherwise only you are to blame for your misery.

Comment

The M-95 Sniper Rifle:
              Many people complain about this rifle, because it has been severely dumbed-down from it's real world counterpart. The relatively low damage, inaccuracy, and the fact that it has been transformed into a bolt-action rifle in comparision to semi-auto version in use by the military. I have to praise Dice for what they did with this gun. The manner in which they limited it's damage to 90% for a body shot preserves gameplay and forces anyone using it to still maintain some level of skill with sniping. If they were to make it lethal with one shot, and semi-auto, try to imagine what servers would be like... If you've ever played Counter-Strike, it's not that hard. You would effectively have the same gameplay in BF2 as you would in a CS server filled with AWP lamers. The fact that the power and firing rate have been reduced forces anyone using it to be just as tactful and wary of close encounters as a sniper should be. And the fact that it can shoot through glass is what makes the weapon worthwhile - there has to be some aspect of the gun which makes it worth the unlock, and that was it. Every gun is different, just as every tool is different, and the M-95 has it's niche in the game, as it should.
              The problem is not its power - The problem is the accuracy.

If i aim at the Head it should be deadly PERIOD
              In bf2 if you aim at the head it either misses completely or just scores a body shot.
              In contrast to that the M24 has high accuracy and therefor kills in 90% oy my aimed Headshots.
              So I ask myself - why isnt the m95 atleast as good as the m24?

Comment

Claymores are stupid, really its very dumb they are more effective than the sniper rifle for snipers, and its cheap that they are invincible, dont require aiming, are insta kill, and the worst part is it allows a total retard to kill a pro at the game. Bunny hopping is cheap and looks retarded, most games have anti bunny hopping methods as well, and this isnt supposed to be the matrix its a war game. Until they make a game where physically dodging bullets is encouraged it should be treated as an exploit.

Comment

i think the game is and was great, the only thing i disaprove of is indestructable claymores......i was killed by one that was anout 20m away yesterday....i think thats deadly enough, it doesnt have to be indestructable too.....

Comment

I can see what you're saying in regards to the bunny hopping Radar, but I think that a 25 point penalty to one's health for trying to jump twice in a row doesn't belong in a game like this either. Implementing a system like the one used in Call of Duty would work great in the game. My only problem with the delay between jumps comes from when you accidentally mis-jump and don't quite get your mark in a dash to cover, but, I suppose I could live with that in exchange for getting rid of bunny hoppers.

And as for the M-95's decreased accuracy at long range, it's like I said, different tools for different jobs. If your goal is anti-personnel, take the M24, or even better, unlock the next rifle, the L96A1. Both of those guns are issued to real soldiers who's real job is anti-personnel. If you're going for anti-material, take the M-95. Like I stated, the M-95 is a specialty weapon, being as it shoots through cockpit glass. I have no doubt as to why Dice hindered the weapon's power and accuracy over range. The power was limited to avoid the fast scoping, AWP whoring found in Counter-Strike (this would do much more to damage gameplay than anything else you're complaining about). The accuracy over range was lowered so that 1 player would not be able to cripple an opposing team's air support. If you could stay 1000m away from an airbase and accurately take out every player that jumped in a jet/chopper, imagine what kind of havoc that would be... By limiting the range, it forces the sniper to get close and be stealthy, limiting his shots to when the people at the airstrip have more important things to worry about, like the tank rolling through the front gates.

And as for the claymores, don't forget that in the game, snipers are limited to putting them out in the open where they can be seen. In real life, they would most definitely be well hidden where you can't see them until it's too late. For that fact alone, I think the claymores are fine as-is. And besides, if you're working with a squad, as you're supposed to, you should have an engineer standing by ready to disarm them, or at the very least a medic on hard to revive you. Work as a team and claymores won't slow you down.

Comment

I can see what you're saying in regards to the bunny hopping Radar, but I think that a 25 point penalty to one's health for trying to jump twice in a row doesn't belong in a game like this either. Implementing a system like the one used in Call of Duty would work great in the game. My only problem with the delay between jumps comes from when you accidentally mis-jump and don't quite get your mark in a dash to cover, but, I suppose I could live with that in exchange for getting rid of bunny hoppers.

And as for the M-95's decreased accuracy at long range, it's like I said, different tools for different jobs. If your goal is anti-personnel, take the M24, or even better, unlock the next rifle, the L96A1. Both of those guns are issued to real soldiers who's real job is anti-personnel. If you're going for anti-material, take the M-95. Like I stated, the M-95 is a specialty weapon, being as it shoots through cockpit glass. I have no doubt as to why Dice hindered the weapon's power and accuracy over range. The power was limited to avoid the fast scoping, AWP whoring found in Counter-Strike (this would do much more to damage gameplay than anything else you're complaining about). The accuracy over range was lowered so that 1 player would not be able to cripple an opposing team's air support. If you could stay 1000m away from an airbase and accurately take out every player that jumped in a jet/chopper, imagine what kind of havoc that would be... By limiting the range, it forces the sniper to get close and be stealthy, limiting his shots to when the people at the airstrip have more important things to worry about, like the tank rolling through the front gates.

And as for the claymores, don't forget that in the game, snipers are limited to putting them out in the open where they can be seen. In real life, they would most definitely be well hidden where you can't see them until it's too late. For that fact alone, I think the claymores are fine as-is. And besides, if you're working with a squad, as you're supposed to, you should have an engineer standing by ready to disarm them, or at the very least a medic on hard to revive you. Work as a team and claymores won't slow you down.
                      ahhh but even if you do see them in game it's to late i'm often walking along see a claymore and as i back up BOOM.

Comment

Hey all, I'm relatively new to this forum, and to BF2 as well, but something has been bothing me about most of the posts I've read on this forum: you all are blaming EA/Dice for poor gameplay, when in reality, BF2 is probibly the best game on the PC when it comes to multiplay. And also, I would like to state that I have a background in firearms and tactical shooting (IPSC, USPSA), so any comments I make in regards to the weapons in-game will be as accurate to my experiences with real steel as I can be. I'm not looking to start a flame war, but I'm just going to post a few thoughts on here for you all to consider and hopefully get an open discussion going.

The M-95 Sniper Rifle:

Mines and Claymores:
                        Yes, they're a pain in the @ss. I don't know how many times I've gone up a ladder to get blown away, or unexpectedly blew up reversing in a vehicle... But, this is modern warfare, and as such, both of these items are part of of that. You're playing a game where the objective is to eliminate enemy troops, and no matter how these two items are used, they're effective to that task. Whining about them doesn't change the fact that you weren't cautious enough. You're on a battlefield, not a playground.

Bunny-hopping/Dolphin diving:
                        While bunny-hopping wouldn't be incredibly recommended under live-fire in real life, ever since the implementation of jumping has come to FPS games, it's been part of the genre. If you don't like it, go back to playing DOOM 2. After 10 years of people bunny-hopping, you sould expect this in every game, don't blame Dice for it. As for the Dolphin diving, I think that the delay in 1.4 is really going to help get rid of this. Not immediately, because people have their habits, but you'll notice it's a bit harder to get a good bead on your enemy now when you're getting up, and the extra half second or so it takes is going to get alot of those players killed, because they're effectively motionless and unable to fire.

Rank/Commander:
                        Would you really want someone who has had the game installed for 2 hours to be considered your equal when applying for commander? The system Dice has now works great in my opinion. Yea, I know, you're still going to have some people stat farming and point whoring, but what can you do? The federal government can't keep people from finding loopholes in the tax code... Do you really expect Dice to create the perfect system for rating players? So long as any system for any objective is in place, people WILL find a way to cheat it.

And there's much more I could state with regards to complaints against Dice and EA, but essentially, what it all boils down to, is the quality of the people you're in a server with, because the game itself rocks. If the game was terrible, you wouldn't be playing it. The only reason so many of you are complaining is because you're playing against/with a bunch of idiot bullet dodgers, stat padders, and every other idiot known to FPS - and yes, while that may make you want to quit playing all together, you don't. And the reason for that is you can join another server right after that where everything comes together perfectly. Your squad moves as one, your medics heal, your support lays down suppressing fire, your sniper picks off the guy at the MG nest, and you capture the flag and save the day. The game is fine, it's all just a matter of the people playing it.

Anyways, that's just my 2¢
                        Nice work
                        I aguee about the M95
                        It's a good sniper rifle, if people would give it a chance
                        I also aguee about Claymores
                        Claymores need to have a way that they can be destroyed
                        I totally aguee about the bunnyhopping and Dohnlan Diving issue
                        It needs to be stopped, it shows no skill
                        I aguee on the commander issue
                        I wish Rank and commander wouldn't effect who can be a commander

Comment

claymores should not be indestructable, they should not be placed in the open.....that is stupid, and requires no thought/skill.....if you have one claymore in the middle of a doorway/hallway/stairway/etc... there is no way to access the back of the claymore to disarm it, and there should also be no need to sacrifice a player, and give a free kill away, this idea is just silly and i think it promotes noobish whoring and mindless spamming...

i dont think anything in this game should be indestructable...thats just silly

Comment

Nice refreshing post mate, couldnt agree with you more, we do have one of the best games out there in bf2, but perhaps thats why tempers get so heated about it. At least people still have passion for it.

Comment

Hey all, I'm relatively new to this forum, and to BF2 as well, but something has been bothing me about most of the posts I've read on this forum: you all are blaming EA/Dice for poor gameplay, when in reality, BF2 is probibly the best game on the PC when it comes to multiplay.
                              Welcome! For BF'42 old skool types like me there are many issues that have disappointed.

BF'42 had twice the number of maps, 3 times the number of armies, around 5 times the number of vehicle types, and numerous navy unit types (all driveable). The patches were solid, and usually even included a free map (5 total). The game was solid and reliable, the enemy was always the correct colour, and the servers NEVER crashed. The game did have shortcomings, but hey, it was pretty advanced back then.

Fast forward to BF2. After installing I had numerous problems with account creation, and when I found out I couldn't believe my user name was fixed, permanently. The game was ok, but numerous bugs caused the release of a patch, which I couldn't install as it needed 4 gigs free on my boot drive, not the destination drive (WTF?). Had I known then what those patches were to bring! The enemy now sometimes appeared blue (friendly), and friendlies sometimes appeared red (enemy). And there are just dozens and dozens of bugs, many of which patches introduced. Beta testers confirm these bugs are also present in BF2142, many had hoped just the engine would be reused, and the bugs avoided. So even BF2142 isn't an alternative now.

I could go on and on, and on some more. The improvements are good (graphics, VOIP, squads etc), but the bugs, crashes, exploits etc. etc. have just really brought this game down, and not just for me, clanmembers who have played for 5 years now are dropping off and moving on to other things.

The game revision needs rewound to version 1, and a new patch design team hired.

Comment

Working...
                              X