1.4 Performance Issue??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.4 Performance Issue??

Since I have recently added water cooling to my machine and i am running a slightly hotter CPU (34c but was 30c) but my GPU is at (35c but was 49c) im not sure if it is game related or my computer, i find it is very jumpy in game now and constantly pausing.

im not 100% sure so feed back would be greatly appreciated.

My Specs are as followed
    -AMD64 3500+ @ 2.5ghz
    -Asus 7900GT @ 690mhz core and 750mhz mem
    -Asus A8N - Sli SE
    -2Gb of PQI 3200 turbo Ram
    -2 x 160gig Seagate Sata 2 hdd's (one with windows XP the other with the games)
    -Audigy 4 Pro
    -Swiftech H20 Apex Ultra water cooling system

Regards Gazmtk

P.S. Put everything back to default before posting

Re: 1.4 Performance Issue??

Moved to support

Comment

According to your specs, you should be able to run BF2 at upper-middle settings with playable frame rates, without overclocking.

My machine is Intel Pentium D 3.0GHz, 2GB of DDR II 667MHz RAM, nVidia 7600GT with 256MB video RAM, and Realtek ALC882 onbard audio (all at manufacturer-spec). With BF2 video settings at 1024x768 @ 85Hz and mostly Medium settings, and high-quality audio settings with software renderer, my FPS ranges from 40 to 70 with no pauses or stuttering.

What kind of settings are you running in BF2?

Stuttering in game is often caused by lack of texture memory or bandwidth. In such cases, turning down your texture quality settings can make a big difference.

Also, is it only your video that is stuttering, or is your audio also stuttering? If it is both video and audio, your processor may be overworked, or your computer may be spending too much time swapping memory with your hard-disk. In such cases, try turning down your audio quality and geometry detail settings.

You may also wish to check that you are not running any background applications apart from default Windows system processes.

Comment

I am running all settings on High and widescreen edit to 1360 x 768,
        EAX is enabled and Audio is on High.

I never had this with 1.3, but then again the water cooling factor, maybe my ram isnt getting enough air, or maybe even my HDD's, tho i cant honestly say cooling my hard drives has ever improved my performance, i will try turning things down, but in the end i may just reinstall BF2 and patch back to 1.3 and see.
        Both Audio and video "cough and splutter" (pause)
        and my load times are a JOKE! i might try going back to original Specs in all settings and going from there, cuz before i was seeing a nice easy 60Fps at any given time.

any idea about all that??

Comment

Your initial post didn't even explain the problem in detail, just bragged about your watercooling temps. What Framerate do you get? I get the same thing with huge FPS issues and sometimes it looks like a damned slideshow.

Comment

If the hard drive light is blinking alot during gameplay then it's a RAM issue. If you are still stuttering and it isn't blinking then it isn't, that's how i find out whats going wrong.

I think settings like these affect your video card the most:

Lighting
            Dynamic Lighting
            Shadows
            AA (Anti Aliasing)
            AF (<Something> Filtering)

Whilst the others affect RAM and CPU the most.

Comment

After loading a map the HD LED doesn't blink at all. Wtf could the problem be?

Comment

did u defrag after patching?

and @ Jungles....his specs should easily be able to play all high..my firend has a simliar setup and he gets very good framerates @ all high

Comment

I have tried every possible maintenance tool I can think of.

Comment

Originally posted by ConscriptVirus
                    did u defrag after patching?
                    I second that, if you check your drive after patching you will find it is heavily fragmented. I always defrag after installing anything.
                    Whats the first thing you should do after installing windows?? Yes you guessed it, defrag!
                    A little bit of house keeping goes a long way

Comment

www.bf2lag.com

Comment

Dethred Maybe you SHOULD RE-READ my first post not bragging at ALL, i am stating its now very jumpy and constantly pausing, and yes similar to what your experiencing, but i have changed my setup and i thought it maybe because of this. My Frame rate (going of 64 player maps and players) is around the 44fps to 99fps average is 60ish fps.
                        I was wondering if anyone else had experienced it. and yeh defragged and all that, i am think about doing a fresh install tonight to see if that helps, i am currently uninstalling BF2 and reinstalling to see if it was a bad install cuz i used the increment, but ive now downloaded the full.
                        Will keep you all posted.
                        Regards Gazmtk.

Comment

I re-read you initial post again. I am sorry, you didn't mention about watercooling and your temps but you did mention your framerate, and an average of 60fps is terrible.

Note: That was 100% sarcasm.

Conclusion: Now that you elaborated on your problem more than you talked about your watercooling, I'd say you don't have too bad of a performance problem. Mine, personally, drops to the teens and lower sometimes and I require a restart of the game to fix it. 44fps at times is actually not that bad. If you feel its worse than I am figuring from your claims, then please get a rivatuner statistics log of your worst performing map and show us how low it goes.

Comment

44fps is still pretty good, i totally acknowledge that, but its the fact im still pulling alright fps but getting as you mentioned "slide show" effects and constant hick ups in sound and video :cry:
                            honestly i dont know why its doing this, but i have just reinstalled windows and have put my hard drives into a Stripping Raid so hopefully that gives it a lil more juice.

ok its all fixed now, 88fps is average now, 66 is the lowest it got .
                            im happier now i know its not my new setup!

Comment

Working...
                            X