Windows Server 2003

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Server 2003

Just curious to know if anybody is playing BF2 on windows Server 2003. I'm thinking about installing it, but i just wanted to see if anybody had a successfull install

Re: Windows Server 2003

I'm pretty sure I have heard of people playing on it. Could always just try it!

Comment

I am sure there are some people out there playing on 2k3. But, that said horsing around with 2k3 is not the same as using 2000 server. Yea, you can still get DirectX to work on it, but there are a handful of kernel security features in place that might not make it worth your time. But, then again, it could run really well because a hell of a lot of services are disabled compaired to XP!

Good Luck.

Hey Sean, congrads on the promotion.

Comment

Originally posted by scknight
        I'm pretty sure I have heard of people playing on it. Could always just try it!
        i just got back my BF2 after 5 months, and now i'm running 2003. I think i tried one time and it failed but I cant remember lol. thanks for the reply

Comment

Originally posted by RocketChild

Hey Sean, congrads on the promotion.
          How did you know about that? lol. thanks

Comment

How did you know about that? lol. thanks
            I have a huge buddy list at BF2s in my leader board. There are so many people that don't know they are in there!

Comment

I have a huge buddy list at BF2s in my leader board. There are so many people that don't know they are in there!
              gah...I just remembered I forgot to take screenshots so that my grandchildren could see them when I get old and have nothing to show for myself...

uh...better say something on-topic....I like WS2003, it works for my company!

Comment

yah, 2003 FTW! mass conversions from 2000 to 2003. Oh, and mass SQL 2000 to SQL2005!

BTW, OP, tell me when you get BF2 running well in Redhat or Suse.

Comment

yah, 2003 FTW! mass conversions from 2000 to 2003. Oh, and mass SQL 2000 to SQL2005!

BTW, OP, tell me when you get BF2 running well in Redhat or Suse.
                  Yayz...my company specializes in sql2005 (migrations, consulting, etc...) It's fun to be a microsoft partner too!

What do most BF2 dedicated servers run on? Is it Windows?

Comment

What do most BF2 dedicated servers run on? Is it Windows?
                    Well, I don't see very many OSX Apple servers if that is what you are asking.

Comment

Well, I don't see very many OSX Apple servers if that is what you are asking.
                      ha. Well, i've seen linux dedicated servers and etc, but I don't know about what most games use. I suppose most games are made for Windows anyway...so that answers my question. lol.

Comment

i play on w2003 ent pr1 [as my home desktop - it is nice to be in msdnaa]

it runs MUCH better than on xp when you are short on ram, 2k3 ram handling is exceptional and very very good. nothing with xp can compete. after i bought another 1gb of ram that problem/feature vanished, but i still im impressed with stability and performance of 2k3 based desktop systems.

however you need some [and i mean SOME] win related knowledge to setup 2k3 right. especialy during sp1 integration, it can seriously f.. up your older games [it puts dx6! into the system and blocks dx8.1 [required by bf1942 and other titles]]. so beware! if you are novice, or think about yourself as a pro, ask youself a question - do you know what the desktop heap is? if you dont know, stay with xp.

conclusion - yes, you can play bf2 on 2k3

Comment

ha. Well, i've seen linux dedicated servers and etc, but I don't know about what most games use. I suppose most games are made for Windows anyway...so that answers my question. lol.
                          Everything is made for DirectX APIs. Id will code for OpenGL. Glad to see Apple move to x86 architecture. Maybe we will see some ports. But, that is the big joke about all those Apple commercials about how bad windows sucks, you still can't game on a Mac.

Comment

Everything is made for DirectX APIs. Id will code for OpenGL. Glad to see Apple move to x86 architecture. Maybe we will see some ports. But, that is the big joke about all those Apple commercials about how bad windows sucks, you still can't game on a Mac.
                            Yeah, most apple users are too busy being trendy to care about gaming anyways. heh...i'm waiting for the flaming.

I honestly have not kept up with Apple, so I had no idea about them going to x86 architecture, to be more honest, i didn't know they weren't x86...heh

Comment

Originally posted by sidtherat
                              i play on w2003 ent pr1 [as my home desktop - it is nice to be in msdnaa]

it runs MUCH better than on xp when you are short on ram, 2k3 ram handling is exceptional and very very good. nothing with xp can compete. after i bought another 1gb of ram that problem/feature vanished, but i still im impressed with stability and performance of 2k3 based desktop systems.

however you need some [and i mean SOME] win related knowledge to setup 2k3 right. especialy during sp1 integration, it can seriously f.. up your older games [it puts dx6! into the system and blocks dx8.1 [required by bf1942 and other titles]]. so beware! if you are novice, or think about yourself as a pro, ask youself a question - do you know what the desktop heap is? if you dont know, stay with xp.

conclusion - yes, you can play bf2 on 2k3
                              I'm an MCSE so i consider myself quite knowlegeable lol. And yes i know what desktop heap is .... good to know that someone is running it well. I didnt want to waste my time, so figured this was a good place to ask. Thanks for the help, and to the other 2 for hijacking my thread lol

Comment

Working...
                              X