This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First 1.4 CTD and how-to Analyze it

Hi, well, after 3 hours of playing, I have my first CTD with 1.4.

Battlefield 2, on every crash generates a DUMP file with the error that produces the crash. Here is the way to read those files.

First, you need the Windows Debuging tool, get it from here:

for 32 Bits:
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtoo...nstallx86.mspx

For 64 Bits:
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtoo...tall64bit.mspx

Install Windbg and then go to:

My Documents/Battlefield 2/dmp

Order the files by date and select the lastone.

Open WinDBG and drag & drop te .dmp file into the Windbg window.

Now you can see what's the cause of the CTD in your game. The next one is my first (y really dont know what it means):

Code:
    Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger  Version 6.6.0003.5
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Loading Dump File [e:\Battlefield 2\Dmp\bf2_v1.1.2963-795.0_2006-09-06_02.06.26.dmp]
    User Mini Dump File: Only registers, stack and portions of memory are available

Comment: 'Battlefield2 MiniDump. Address: 00448101 (In Windbg type: .ecxr)
    ASSERT INFORMATION:
    [...]
    D:\Aphrodite\BF2_1.4\Code\BF2\Game\Common\GhostManager.cpp(1350): Error: Common: state bits differs read:85 expected:78
    [EOF]'
    Windows XP Version 2600 (Service Pack 2) UP Free x86 compatible
    Product: WinNt, suite: SingleUserTS
    Debug session time: Wed Sep  6 02:06:29.000 2006 (GMT-4)
    System Uptime: not available
    Process Uptime: 0 days 2:39:11.000
    Symbol search path is: *** Invalid ***
    ****************************************************************************
    * Symbol loading may be unreliable without a symbol search path.           *
    * Use .symfix to have the debugger choose a symbol path.                   *
    * After setting your symbol path, use .reload to refresh symbol locations. *
    ****************************************************************************
    Executable search path is: 
    ......................................................................................
    This dump file has an exception of interest stored in it.
    The stored exception information can be accessed via .ecxr.
    eax=00000006 ebx=00000000 ecx=0012f8b8 edx=4e14002c esi=000006d8 edi=00000000
    eip=7c91eb94 esp=0012f400 ebp=0012f464 iopl=0         nv up ei pl zr na po nc
    cs=001b  ss=0023  ds=0023  es=0023  fs=003b  gs=0000             efl=00200246
    *** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found.  Defaulted to export symbols for ntdll.dll - 
    ntdll!KiFastSystemCallRet:
    7c91eb94 c3               ret
    D:\Aphrodite\BF2_1.4\Code\BF2\Game\Common\GhostMan ager.cpp(1350): Error: Common: state bits differs read:85 expected:78
    [EOF]'

^^ That's the line.

Post yours so maybe we can get common causes to try to solve the problems.

Greetz.
    Pepe.-

Re: My First 1.4 CTD and how-to Analyze it

Thanks for sharing the Debugging Tool information. I have not seen a CTD as of yet, knocking on wood. What map were in or trying to get in when you CTD'd?

Comment

Originally posted by Radar-C}{G-
      Thanks for sharing the Debugging Tool information. I have not seen a CTD as of yet, knocking on wood. What map were in or trying to get in when you CTD'd?
      I was actualy playing Dragon Valley 64 20 ppl each side.

Comment

I've crashed twice. My clanmates also crashed (at the exact same time).

My crashing was jala and sharqi. Theirs was jala and karkand.

Comment

I played on about 5 different servers on 4 different maps last night

I crashed to desktop once only on jalalabad (which lagged more than any other map)

The server changed to karkand and everything went fine. I suspect something up with jalabad but i dont know

heres hoping i dont crash to desktop again!

Comment

D:\Aphrodite\BF2_1.4\Code\BF2\Game\Common\GhostMan ager.cpp(1350): Error: Common: state bits differs read:81 expected:84
            [EOF]'

Was playing jalalabad I am pretty sure and I was jumping off a building and trying to reach my parachut button I stumbled across my 3,4,5 weapons key and than it just CTD before hitting the ground.

Oh that is my first and only CTD for 1.4 so far.

Comment

Does this tool work for BSOD's (blue screen of death)? I recieved my first BSOD ever on my PC after 30 minutes of playing 1.4. I went to disconnect, and as soon as I did I got the BSOD. I have not yet recieved the CTD with 1.4 and the BSOD only happened once so far. Needless to say...I was pretty angry.

I had 62 CTD .dmp files...Here's my debug info of the last one (which just happened for the 1st time on 1.4...at least it wasnt BSOD).

Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 6.6.0007.5

Loading Dump File [C:\Documents and Settings\JC\My Documents\Battlefield 2\Dmp\bf2_v1.1.2963-795.0_2006-09-07_23.08.02.dmp]

Comment: 'Battlefield2 MiniDump. Address: 4FE74CD1 (In Windbg type: .ecxr)
              ASSERT INFORMATION:
              [...]
              [EOF]'
              Windows XP Version 2600 (Service Pack 2) MP (2 procs) Free x86 compatible
              Product: WinNt, suite: SingleUserTS Personal
              Debug session time: Thu Sep 7 23:08:03.000 2006 (GMT-4)
              Process Uptime: 0 days 0:22:17.000
              ************************************************** **************************
              * Symbol loading may be unreliable without a symbol search path. *
              * Use .symfix to have the debugger choose a symbol path. *
              .................................................. .......................................
              (cfc.ad0): Access violation - code c0000005 (first/second chance not available)
              eax=0013f500 ebx=00000000 ecx=00000000 edx=0013f528 esi=00000590 edi=00000000
              eip=7c90eb94 esp=0013f49c ebp=0013f500 iopl=0 nv up ei pl zr na pe nc
              cs=001b ss=0023 ds=0023 es=0023 fs=003b gs=0000 efl=00200246
              *** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for ntdll.dll -
              7c90eb94 c3 ret

Comment

lol well 1.4 did all balls for me apart from raise and dash my hopes.. mine ctds every time yet theres no dump file created.. it was supposedly "fixed" but how do i lol get one?

Comment

2nd CTD after I decided to put my settings on Medium all around. Finished loading map and press join than it CTD. Will mess around with refresh rates and i had it set at 800x600 75hz ati x800 6.8 drivers.

Comment: 'Battlefield2 MiniDump. Address: 0076E977 (In Windbg type: .ecxr)
                  ASSERT INFORMATION:
                  [...]
                  [EOF]'

Comment

I'm soo pissed off right now, I was in a Dog Fight playing PoE2 I had this guy and nailed... And blam screen goes black, seconds later at the desktop. Thought we had this stuff under control EA/DICE? Time to hit that old drawing board I guess huh?

Loading Dump File [C:\Documents and Settings\hemi\My Documents\Battlefield 2\dmp\bf2_v1.1.2963-795.0_2006-09-11_21.28.21.dmp]

Comment: 'Battlefield2 MiniDump. Address: 04104371 (In Windbg type: .ecxr)
                    ASSERT INFORMATION:
                    [...]
                    D:\Aphrodite\BF2_1.4\Code\BF2\Geom\ParticleSystem\ TrailRenderer.cpp(647): Error: ParticleSystem: LockFailed
                    [EOF]'
                    Debug session time: Mon Sep 11 21:28:22.000 2006 (GMT-4)
                    Process Uptime: 0 days 0:32:48.000
                    .................................................. ...................................
                    eax=0012f2f0 ebx=00000000 ecx=0012f2e0 edx=0000002c esi=00000918 edi=00000000
                    eip=7c90eb94 esp=0012f398 ebp=0012f3fc iopl=0 nv up ei pl zr na pe nc
                    *** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for ntdll.dll -
                    7c90eb94 c3 ret

Didn't reboot my computer since that last one. Played for a hour or soo left came back got into game and BAM. Crash To Desktop.

Loading Dump File [C:\Documents and Settings\hemi\My Documents\Battlefield 2\dmp\bf2_v1.1.2963-795.0_2006-09-12_02.31.49.dmp]

Comment: 'Battlefield2 MiniDump. Address: 04104371 (In Windbg type: .ecxr)
                    ASSERT INFORMATION:
                    [...]
                    D:\Aphrodite\BF2_1.4\Code\BF2\Geom\ParticleSystem\ ParticleSystemRenderer.cpp(973): Error: ParticleSystem: Failed to lock surface
                    [EOF]'
                    Debug session time: Tue Sep 12 02:31:50.000 2006 (GMT-4)
                    Process Uptime: 0 days 0:04:15.000
                    .................................................. ...................................
                    eax=00000006 ebx=00000000 ecx=0012f838 edx=c84f0004 esi=00000830 edi=00000000
                    eip=7c90eb94 esp=0012f380 ebp=0012f3e4 iopl=0 nv up ei pl zr na pe nc
                    7c90eb94 c3 ret

Comment

Originally posted by lil timmy
                      lol well 1.4 did all balls for me apart from raise and dash my hopes.. mine ctds every time yet theres no dump file created.. it was supposedly "fixed" but how do i lol get one?
                      Know the problem. Whenever the map load hits 62% the game crashes.
                      Did exactly the same with the 1.3 patch.
                      OH please roll it back to 1.22 so that I can at least play. Anyone got a workaround for this?

Comment

My computer freezes at 62% but then in a couple seconds it gets over it. There must be something it loads at 62% thats bad

Comment

Dont remember what map i was playing, im a afraid im gonna have to reinstall
                          -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Loading Dump File [C:\Documents and Settings\_Geraboy\My Documents\Battlefield 2\dmp\bf2_v1.1.2963-795.0_2006-09-14_14.39.00.dmp]

Comment: 'Battlefield2 MiniDump. Address: 03914371 (In Windbg type: .ecxr)
                          ASSERT INFORMATION:
                          [...]
                          D:\Aphrodite\BF2_1.4\Code\BF2\RendDX9\TextureManag er.cpp(761): Error: RendDX9: Texture not found: objects/effects/decals/textures/atlas/decalatlas0
                          [EOF]'
                          Debug session time: Thu Sep 14 14:39:01.000 2006 (GMT-7)
                          Process Uptime: 0 days 0:00:14.000
                          .................................................. ...................
                          eax=00000000 ebx=00000000 ecx=00000002 edx=7efeff53 esi=00000378 edi=00000000
                          eip=7c90eb94 esp=0012f020 ebp=0012f084 iopl=0 nv up ei pl zr na pe nc
                          7c90eb94 c3 ret
                          0:000> g
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I discovered that on my computer (all other computers do the same) it will shut down the least needed program and as many programs in that order as it needs to to protect the computer from over heating. Im not saying its a heat problem but that the computer detects a problem (more work to do than it can handle at that point in time) and it thinks over heating is only seconds away. So it terminates the offender or least needed program for proper operation. In this case its BF2. I guessed that at times the CPU or system memory was trying to do more work than it could.
                            To help correct the trouble and prevent the CTD I moved as much work load away from the CPU as I could. I did this by makeing the sound, hardware controlled and moveing all the fancy video stuff (AntiAlising, etc.) to my video card, which also made it hard ware controlled. I havent had trouble (CTD) since I did this. This did reduce the work that the CPU and system memory had to do. I dont know if it will help anyone else but it is worth a try as it doesnt cost anything to try and can eaisly be returned to the orignal state if it doesnt help.
                            The reason I decided to try this was that I had noticed that most of my troubles happened when a lot of things were going on (ie. in the middle of a big battle with arty, armor, and being attacked by air craft). I havent had a crash since I did this and my FPS are more stable also. I hope this helps. . . . . . . .Red

Comment

Yeah, mine happend pretty random.

Comment

Working...
                              X