Anyone ever try this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever try this?

Closing windows explorere when you play?

Upon doing this my loading doesn't pause at 62% (Geometries). You can use task manager to close it, load bf2 and any other programs.

I recently changed mobos with fewer DIMMs reducing me to 1GB RAM.

If you need to squeeze every last frame outta your rig give it a shot.

Re: Anyone ever try this?

Strange, I've always had the impresion that explorer is the operating system; basically, you turn it off, then you turn off your computer.

Comment

I thought closing explorer basically shuts down the computer.....I'll give it a whirl but my loading times are not even close to that :laugh: .

Comment

It takes up like 20-30MB of memory and seems to do no harm in closing. You can restart it after exiting bf2 via task manager. Simply type "explorer.exe" in the open menu.

And are you saying you have short or long load times?

Comment

No, my loading times are all of 30-40 seconds.

Comment

Ok I load up in about 30 seconds max I'd say.

If anyone needs a more detailed guide...

1. Ctrl + Alt + Delete (Open task manager)

2. Right click explorer.exe (End process tree)

3. File menu, new task...
            -Find BF2

4. Close BF2, repeat step 3 but run "explorer.exe"

After you find a target program it will be remembered; after that point you only need to type the target file name.

Comment

so u guys are sure thisd is safe to do? will it imrove the game when u have a sucky pc like mine?

Comment

Originally posted by Moe619
                so u guys are sure thisd is safe to do? will it imrove the game when u have a sucky pc like mine?
                Explorer isn't really a necessary thing. It's what lets you go through folders/open the start menu/ etc. It's really what seperates Windows from DOS. Closing it does nothing but make it so you can't open the start menu, or my computer. Start BF2, ALT+TAB then CTRL+SHIFT+ESC and end explorer or add the .exe to it if you really want...you just need to type explorer.

Restsart explorer by ctrl+shift+Esc and go to "New Task" and type in Explorer.exe and viola, all better.

No harm, no foul.

Comment

Originally posted by Moe619
                  It should be perfectly safe.

The only problem I foresee is that some of those taskbar icons tend to dissapear when you kill explorer, and are difficult if not impossible to get back without a reboot. It's not as if it'll fubar anything though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrenart
                    It should be perfectly safe.

The only problem I foresee is that some of those taskbar icons tend to dissapear when you kill explorer, and are difficult if not impossible to get back without a reboot. It's not as if it'll fubar anything though.
                    Out of all my years of playing around with Windows, the last time I closed explorer and my menu bar icons or any other problem occuring after I started up explorer again was back during Windows 95...

If you are having problems getting that stuff back after explorer restart *heck it's good to do that if you don't plan to reboot for a while*...yeah... wtf is wrong with your box? D:

Comment

Killing windows explorer through task manager is a safe thing to do. To get it back after you are done gaming, all you have to do is open task manager, using Ctrl+Shift+Esc. Click File, New Task and type explorer.exe. After that everything should be returned to normal.

Comment

closing explorer will automaticly shut down your computer ,only if you are using windows ME or older

Comment

yeah i have always had it so it terminates explorer when starting bf2 and starts it again when finished, not so as to get round the 62% thing as it still does that, which isnt a problem, its simply finishing off processing the geometries before moving onto textures at that juncture

the only reason i do it, is so it saves me about 20mb of active memory use whicn it normally takes up and it removes some of its process hooks on other unstoppable processes, such as various svchost services, making them less aggressive and smaller footprint memory wise.

Comment

It wont shut down your computer, it will just get rid of icons/taskbar etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazza
                              It wont shut down your computer, it will just get rid of icons/taskbar etc.
                              No, he means if you are using Windows ME or older...

Comment

Working...
                              X