Clear All

• X-Fi hardware crashes PC to BSOD

Heya, I just built my buddy's machine and it's a

AMD FX 62
    ASUS M2N32SLI-Deluxe
    2 GB RAM
    X-Fi Fatality
    EVGA 7900 GTX SLI setup

If he leaves the sound options on Software everything runs fine, but if it's set to X-Fi or Hardware it grinds to a halt and crashes in 5 seconds, with the sound looping pretty hard for a minute before the BSOD shows up.

Any suggestions? I've googled this issue quite a bit and haven't come across anything definitive. And of course all of the drivers were uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times, the RAM is fine, and the sound card drivers are current. Cheers,

Kat

Re: X-Fi hardware crashes PC to BSOD

Make sure the X-FI is set to game mode in it's console.

Try that.

Comment

I have had this same problem. You best bet is to goolge it, I still havnt gotten my issues resovled just yet. It doesnt happen all the time but it happens enought to piss me off. Try writing down the error code and **** when the BSOD comes up. That way you can find out the answers more easily.

-yonton228/timmy

Comment

Yes, make sure you're in game mode.

BUT .. also make sure you have the latest drivers installed from http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/download.asp

Comment

It's set to game mode and all of the drivers are current. Setting it to game mode allowed me to select Creative X-Fi as the software/hardware option, and allowed me to select ultra high, but it still crashes as soon as the game loads a level and gets going.

Cheers!

Comment

did u install the drivers full or custom ? also test your cmss-3d and see if that is working

Comment

Most importantly, did you uninstall the original onboard audio drivers?

Did you DISABLE the onboard audio frmo the BIOS prior to installing the X-Fi?

Comment

Check your IRQs. Mine didn't show any conflicts, but my X-fi and video card were sharing the same IRQ. I had the same crashing and looping sound. Well, I moved my sound card to a different PCI slot and the problems ceased. I for one do not think that is a coincidence.

Disabling the onboard sound is also very important, as well. First, disable it in the BIOS. Then, check your device manager and see if it's there. Disable it there, as well. Uninstall the drivers for the onboard audio, too. When you install the chipset drivers, you should get the option to check or uncheck the LAN, audio, and nForce drivers. After getting my card, I made sure there was no reason for my computer or windows to ever think the mobo had sound in the first place.

Comment

problem is with sending people to the http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/download.asp
                  link and they have the Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro Series card there are no updated drivers...there isnt crap listed there....so once again...how do we enable x-fi in BF2 without having the crash to desktop?

Comment

Home > Customer Support > Knowledge Base

Solution ID # 10607Sound Blaster X-Fi & Battlefield2

If you have installed and uninstalled a previous Sound Blaster card such as Sound Blaster Audigy 2, Audigy or Sound Blaster Live! and have since installed a Sound Blaster X-Fi card, you may encounter an error when applying Sound Blaster X-Fi settings in the game's Audio Settings section. (More Details... How to uninstall Sound Blaster drivers and applications? )
                    If you encounter this problem, we recommend that you reinstall your Sound Blaster X-Fi drivers as follows:
                    1. Download the updated F-Xi series driver from the Creative website
                    2. Browse to *:\Audio\Drivers on the X-Fi installation CD (where * is your CD/DVD Rom Drive letter).
                    3. Double-click Setup.exe to run the Creative Driver Update Utility.
                    4. Under Update Option check the Driver Uninstallation box.
                    5. Check the Delete all shared Creative audio driver files box.
                    6. Click OK.
                    7. Click Yes to the warning that follows.
                    8. Click OK to proceed with the uninstallation.
                    9. When prompted, click OK to reboot your system.
                    10. When your system has rebooted, click Cancel when Windows detects new hardware.
                    11. Run the downloaded file SBXF_PCDRV_LB_2_07_0004.exe and install the drivers. The other applications that are shipped with the X-Fi may need to be installed from the CD.
                    12. Reboot PC when prompted.
                    13. Relaunch Battlefield2.
                    14. You can now apply Sound Blaster X-Fi settings in the game's audio settings and proceed.
                    Note: You can also run Setup.exe from the following location on the hard drive C:\Programs\Creative\Sound Blaster X-Fi\Program.
                    Should the problem persist, you can manually search and rename the following three files in your computer, and then install the Sound Blaster X-Fi again.
                    • CT_OAL.DLL
                      OPENAL32.DLL
                      WRAP_OAL.DLL
                    dont worry if this driver shown above is out of date or u can not find it just download the latest driver after rebooting and run it all will be well

Comment

Working...
                    X