Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to get into Movies, editing, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to get into Movies, editing, etc.

As the title says, I am looking to get into making a couple of movies, doing some video editing and all that other stuff.

Not necessarily for Bf2 but for other things as well

Im not planning to get really really into it to make some awesome movies that I have seen here on TotalBF2 and elsewhere, but just enough to get me by to do what I want to do.

So basically, what programs would I need to start doing such things?
    And are there tutorials (I already read the sticky here) to help me learn about how to use such programs.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Re: Looking to get into Movies, editing, etc.

Well, for games.. use FRAPS to record. Fraps is literally usable in every single game so its a very nice too. Battlelauncher is a nice tool for bf2, but its only in bf2.
    You will also need Sony Vegas or Premiere Pro (Your pick on which one you like better). But in all reality.. there are other free video editors out there that could get the job done also. Avid Free DV is one of them. HOWEVER, Stay away from windows movie maker at all cost.

Virtual Dub is very nice for encoding after you export your video. I reccomend it for encoding. http://www.totalbf2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66761

This will help guide you:

And make sure you have a big harddrive , good amount of ram (over 1 gig at least). A fast CPU will be good for encoding and rendering. And make sure you have a good graphics card if you want to record with FRAPS and also play the game on high settings, without lagging.

I think i covered the basics, i can explain something more in detail if you want

Comment

as Keyelite says, Vegas is very good. VirtualDub for compressing, and FRAPS for recording. Well FRAPS lags like hell for me so I cant make BF movies... anyway.

As someone asked, for adding special effects (which is more difficult than video editing), there is Abode after effect and Discreet combustion, two nice software. But I find them hard to learn and cant do anything with them now, so I think that just with Vegas, you can already make some nice and cool videos.

Look for Sony Vegas Manual on google, there'is a 500 pages complete manual that gets you throught all the features of this software. Enjoy... or despair as you want

Comment

There are good tutorials from Discreet for Combustion. You can do it with 1GB, but it would be nicer with more on larger projects.

Comment

Thank you everyone

I am a little put off on how its so expensive to get into such a field .

Sony Vegas and Premiere Pro, both cost a lot of money, that fraps thing costs money as well. As I said, Im not looking to get into this as a career or to make such dazzling movies, but all that really puts me off just to try things out

I guess Media is something where you have to commit to it fully or not at all.

But thanks for the information guys.

Comment

You can check out the trial.

Comment

Film definately isnt a cheap business. but you can just use windows movie maker.

I however, do film outside of bf2. I do live action films aswell.

Comment

What is that link you posted, the hyperlink on that website are all broken... Anyway, Im trying to learn some compositing that I can put my 3D model into reallife footage. That would be awesome.

I saw some videos that people putted some fighters or creatures onto the street ! awesome things I would like to do, but it's just so complicated. Here's a good one :laugh:

Comment

Fraps (demo), Win Movie Maker, and BattleLauncher are free...
                  I use Fraps (full version), Sony Vegas, and sometimes BattleLauncher

Fraps is easiest to use, it runs in the background, you press F9 to record and again to stop. I get a little lagged when recording with Fraps, but after the project is all done and rendered, there's no lag in the vid!

Fraps is for capturing vid
                  Win Movie Maker or Sony Vegas is for editing
                  BattleLauncher is for viewing BattleRecorder angles and vid capture, along with other features

Comment

Working...
                  X