hard drive memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hard drive memory

Hey guys, I recently upgraded to a Maxtor 250 GB hard drive and when I finished installing it I realized I only had 230 GB total. Why is that? I paid for 250 GB and I would like to have the full capacity. Should I return it and get a new one? Is this normal for hard drives? Can anybody help me? :hmm:

Re: hard drive memory

HDs never give you the full capacity but 20G seams like a lot. Did you check to make sure there was no other partitions? Did you do a full format?

Comment

yea usually is, some arent, but they arent usually 20gb downgrade 10-12 maybe 15. I suggest if you want to go through the truoble of returning it spend a little more and get a better brand.

Comment

Ya well when I bought it I put it as slave to my old 40G drive and used MaxBlast 4 to transfer all my old files to the new one. The software did a "format" before beginning the transfer but it was like a 1 minute formatting. Dunno I just read the manual they game me and did exactly as told and they didn't specify to format it before the transfer but the software did a little one.

And yes, when I installed it I specified only 1 partition and I chose max 250GB.

Comment

its normal for hard drives to miss a chunk of space. but only a few GB not a full 20. only about 3-5 GB. windows probibly partioned the drive with boot sectors and what not. probibly normal.

Comment

Working...
          X