Joining a server....what is this #?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining a server....what is this #?

When one is using the "busted" in game browser...I obviously try to join servers that are not full. Of course some times you see 54/64 and when you try to join..it notifies you that the server is full and your name is not on a reserved slot. Is there a way to tell beforehand...or do you guys just have to join to find out? If is says 43/62(4)....what is the (4)? Number of reserved slots left?

Also...sometimes after trying to join and being told the server is full...the game browser will slooooooooooooooooooow down to a crawl. I have to hit ALT+F4 to quit...because it is PAINFULLY slow. SUXXORS

Haze

Re: Joining a server....what is this #?

Number of reserved slots in use. So 54/64 (4) would mean 58 people in the server.

Comment

Thanks...but I guess no way to tell how many TOTAL slots the admin has set aside...correct?

Comment

I thought that number in brackets simply meant the total number of reserved slots the server has..and does not indicated whether or not they are filled.

e.g. 62/64 (2) - means that the server is full and only people on the reserved list can fill those last 2 slots.

Comment

yeah, what Talus said.

I know for a fact I've seen servers listed as "27/32(8)"

To me, that means the server has 27 people on it out of a maximum of 32 and they are holding the last 5 slots for any of the 8 people on the reserved list.

Meaning the theorhetical max of non-reserved slots is 24. 24 for anybody and 8 for reserved.

I've seen clan scrims on 16 player servers where all 16 slots were reserved thus the clans get a ranked scrim and nobody else can join the server, that instance would seem to support Talus and I.

Comment

yep thats right

Comment

i should be a server owner.

Comment

To add another "Monkey Wrench" into this discussion, I have been able to join a server with 62/64(4). Four being the number of reserved slots.

I am not on the reserved list for any server.

I suspected that there there were already 4 people from their reserved list within the server and thus it allowed me to join.

Comment

Originally posted by -=[R]=-SilentNite
                  To add another "Monkey Wrench" into this discussion, I have been able to join a server with 62/64(4). Four being the number of reserved slots.

I am not on the reserved list for any server.

I suspected that there there were already 4 people from their reserved list within the server and thus it allowed me to join.
                  nope - just a fluke u got in

Comment

Consultant...on your example...how do you know that they are "holding" spots for any of the 8 folks...or do you just join and find out?

You are saying that the (8) represents how many actual usernames are on the list...but NOT an indication of how many reserved slots are left...correct?

Sorry for the confusion...but a lot of people seem to be confused about this and TBF2 is the place to come for answers....so thanks!

Haze

Comment

Dang double post....mods please remove this one? THanks

Comment

Ah I was close. We never used it on our server, it's just as easy to kick someone to make a spot then to hold so many reserve slots.

Comment

Usually, reserved spots can be filled by anyone, BUT when the one holding the reservation shows up, you get booted so they can join.

And I think that the server info has to be manually changed if the total number is different from the map size default. We run 64 size maps, but only allow 50 players. Our full server shows up as 50/64. If you try to join, it will tell you the server is full.

Comment

Originally posted by ~WPN~Major Ursa
                            Usually, reserved spots can be filled by anyone, BUT when the one holding the reservation shows up, you get booted so they can join.

And I think that the server info has to be manually changed if the total number is different from the map size default. We run 64 size maps, but only allow 50 players. Our full server shows up as 50/64. If you try to join, it will tell you the server is full.
                            I don't think most of this true. There's a difference between reserved slots and the list of players. If you set up reserved slots, they can not be filled by anyone other than those on the reserved list.

The "64" of your 50/64 is the slots, not the map size. The browser would show a full server as 50/50. The number of total and reserved slots can be manually changed at any time.

Originally posted by BigHAZE
                            Consultant...on your example...how do you know that they are "holding" spots for any of the 8 folks...or do you just join and find out?

You are saying that the (8) represents how many actual usernames are on the list...but NOT an indication of how many reserved slots are left...correct?

Sorry for the confusion...but a lot of people seem to be confused about this and TBF2 is the place to come for answers....so thanks!

Haze
                            (8) is the number of reserved slots. It just means that there are always 8 slots held for the reserved players list. However, it doesn't come into play until the other slots are filled. The stupid part is if your reserved players fill any of the un-reserved slots, e.g. the 24 of the 24/32(8), those 8 will slots will stay open until a reserved player joins.

If you see a server with 24/32 (8) assume that the server is full. You won't be able to join it unless you are on the list or it drops to 23.

Also, reserved slots are tied to the map size not the total slots.

16 slots for 16 player maps
                            32 slots for 32 player maps
                            64 slots for 64 player maps

If you run a 40 slot server, 4 reserved slots, with 32 player maps, it will end up only allowing 28 public slots. It's a poor implementation of a reasonable idea.

Also, I am pretty sure you aren't allowed (either by default or by rule) to set up a ranked server and reserve all the slots. Kind of defeats the purpose of "public"

Comment

Originally posted by Talus
                              I thought that number in brackets simply meant the total number of reserved slots the server has..and does not indicated whether or not they are filled.

e.g. 62/64 (2) - means that the server is full and only people on the reserved list can fill those last 2 slots.
                              Yup you are right Talus. We have 64 max players and 12 reserved slots. The (12) in brackets indicates the number of reserved slots total, not whether they are used or not.

Comment

Working...
                              X