Annoyances flying a chopper...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annoyances flying a chopper...

I have been taking more the pilots seat in attack choppers for practice... It sure is not as fun and rewarding as gunner (especially when you have a mentally handicapped gunner), but still enjoyable.

Some problems I am facing though, include sudden lag (connection problems) for 1-2 seconds or more, causing me to crash, what is very annoying as the gunner will call me a noob (and I don't even know what happened!).

The other is a mysterious minimize to desktop thing, what is worse since it takes more time to restore... I am playing, and all of a sudden BF2 minimizes itself, for no reason. It is probably not spyware or virus as I scan often and it doesn't pop anything up...

Any fixes / ideas?
    Thanks

Re: Annoyances flying a chopper...

If you are getting goofy lag, it is because your gunner has a super high ping or a connection problem.

I find that most annoying thing you will fine, is that the gunner just can not line spot a target in an open field. And the ******* will not join your squad after repeated attempts.

Comment

Hmmmm....

The lag is known to happen, its a kay factor why I don't fly the Hind; if the lag happens it can't lift or pull up in time. I've had the "lag issue" you've explained before and the only option was to deal with it.

As for BF2 minimizing, well I'm not sure. maybe you hit the windows key?

Comment

Oh, and if you play Euroforces, watch out for the Tiger rolling at takeoff. That bird has the problem worst of all the helos in BF.

Comment

Lag is either the cause of the server, another person with a higher ping, your system specs, or the server you go to. Try to keep the servers you go in, inside your country. For example when I go to UK servers my pings are around 120.

Comment

^^Nah,BF" is really minimazing all of a sudden

Comment

Annoyances as in not being able to operate your widshield wipers, zoom on the turret, the ability to use the missiles and the rockets and things like that.

Comment

Make sure you do a trace log to the server if it's a regular. All it takes is one hop with occational lag that can provide those momentary periods of sheer joy. Depends on their routing, so you may have a server with a great ping that lags in game and another with an ok ping that plays flawless.

Some cable companies haven't quite figured out that online gaming requires a stable, high quality and predictable high speed connection. It's not just about pure speed...

My experience has been phone companies and DSL service providers have a much better grasp on QOS.

If you are using a stick, make sure you don't have anything mapped that would cause the minimization. Otherwise, you might have a rogue or scheduled process or app that takes over. I finally turned off scheduled virus scans as it always ran when I was in a plane/chopper/firefight. We had someone with a similar problem that ended up doing a re-install to fix it.

Comment

The problem is not the lag itself, but the "spikes"... I get like 20 ping but sometimes it "chokes" and the connection is gone for a few secs...

And this happens with most of the servers I try to use.. Maybe it's a problem with my DSL company, as I have moved to another state but still using the same PC (that didn't have these problems)

Comment

Oh, that is the 1.3 patch talking to ya there.

Comment

Originally posted by RocketChild
                      Oh, that is the 1.3 patch talking to ya there.
                      Maybe, maybe not. I have used 1.3 back then it didn't do that... But the CTD's are not happening so often anymore.

BF2 surprises for introducing new bugs... For every bug fixed there must be 3 new ones...

Comment

Originally posted by Churrasco
                        I have been taking more the pilots seat in attack choppers for practice... It sure is not as fun and rewarding as gunner (especially when you have a mentally handicapped gunner), but still enjoyable.

Some problems I am facing though, include sudden lag (connection problems) for 1-2 seconds or more, causing me to crash, what is very annoying as the gunner will call me a noob (and I don't even know what happened!).

The other is a mysterious minimize to desktop thing, what is worse since it takes more time to restore... I am playing, and all of a sudden BF2 minimizes itself, for no reason. It is probably not spyware or virus as I scan often and it doesn't pop anything up...

Any fixes / ideas?
                        Thanks
                        The shortcut key for switching programs is Alt+Tab, have you pressed that?

Comment

Biggest one for me.. The really slow flying J10. Unbelievable how slow it can fly without dropping like a brick.

Comment

Yeah I got that minimization for a long time too. Did a reformat and it hasnt come back.

Comment

If you have eMule and it is running then it could cause minimization.
                              I always switch it off for BF2 because it puts a squeeze on the link but when i leave it on with some other games or full-screen movies, I've experienced minimization.
                              It also might be some other program running in the background. Test it in e.g. singleplayer or some other game and see if closing some unimportant system tray program helps it.

Comment

Working...
                              X