gfx card choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gfx card choice

i got a dell demension desktop 3000 2.8 ghZ with 512RAM and a gefroce fx5500 256mb pci graphics card. i have $200 and i wanted to know whitch graphics card will be the best. i want the card to be able to run bf2 with less choppyness.

Re: gfx card choice

Originally posted by ShowTheWorld
    i got a dell demension desktop 3000 2.8 ghZ with 512RAM and a gefroce fx5500 256mb pci graphics card. i have $200 and i wanted to know whitch graphics card will be the best. i want the card to be able to run bf2 with less choppyness.
    First find out if your computer has an AGP or PCI-E slot. If it only has regular PCI then you have a problem..

Comment

how can i find out?

Comment

The Dell dimension 3000 does NOT have PCIe or AGP, so I'm sorry to say you are screwed.

Comment

you will def need more ram and a good vid card.

maybe something like this:

Comment

my computer could take the fx5500 why not other cards? is the fx5500 pci or PCIe?

Comment

If it wasn't bad enough that your comp doesn't have a PCIe slot, you've also got 512 ram, Your comp must run hella slow.

Comment

Pull out the existing card and bring it to the dealers to check when you look for the new one.

I replaced my fx5500 with an NVidia 6800GT about a year ago. Vast improvement. My computer uses an AGP slot. I'll never buy an off the shelf branded desktop again (similar set up).

The 6800GT (Albatron) was about US$400 then. So it might be within your budget now.

Pete

Edit: I also upgraded to 2 gig of RAM for about US$100. It helps

Comment

Originally posted by colony
                  The Dell dimension 3000 does NOT have PCIe or AGP, so I'm sorry to say you are screwed.
                  What he said ^. My sister has the same PC, and it doesn't have any sort of advanced videocard slot. You're limited to PCI cards (like the FX series). I recommend you check out the Dell Forums to see what you can do about switching out the motherboard to a better one.

Comment

You need a new motherboard and you definitely need a new powersupply before you are to get a new video card.

Comment

Yeah, without an AGP slot, you're fux0red

Sorry bro.

Comment

Working...
                      X