Will 1.4 make SF more stable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will 1.4 make SF more stable?

Well, i don't see any other threads in here about 1.4 so I thought i'd ask here because this is specific to Special Forces.

Randomly (usually happens when I'm playing for a couple hours), I get the freeze where I have to hit the restart button and was wondering if 1.4 was finally going to address this, and the lag issue some of us have with some servers. I read in this thread on the BF2 vanilla section it said they increase client stability and fixed "several rare graphics crashes".

Anyone who tested the beta, did they let you try SF and did it stop the stupid random crash thing?

If anyone knows another fix, here's my PC specs. I designed and built it myself for only $800.

Athlon 3500+ Venice (overclocked to 2.4. heat's fine on everything GFX card doesn't top 75C playing SF so that can't be it)
    Geforce 6600GT
    2GB corsair RAM
    7200RPM 160GB Samsung SATA HD
    Dynex CDRW/DVD-ROM drive (broke the CD reader on my other, OEM NEC CD/DVD reader/writer Burner)

thanks for the help, guys, I hope they fixed it, I love this game but if it keeps happening I might go back to the more stable Vanilla.

Oh, BTW, I run on the default high settings. I just turn the resolution up to 1024X768x70Hz cause that gives me the smoothest gameplay. And I just reinstalled both games, didn't get to play yet, maybe the problem went away during the reinstall. One could only pray at this point.

Re: Will 1.4 make SF more stable?

SF has always been harder on systems then vanilla. How much video ram does that 6600gt have? Because for high settings I thought you had to have atleast 256mb and most 6600gts only come with 128mb. Try turning the graphics down to medium. I don't experience any random crashes when playing SF. It probably is more of a local problem. Did you overlock you GPU or CPU?

Comment

I overclock just my CPU. and yeah, it's only got 128MB of RAM on the GPU, but I just went 4 rounds, after the reinstall, without so much as a stutter.

Comment

never had trouble with both games.. useless patches..
        patches with new maps are always welcome...
        so why not a new map for SF?? we already are so short on maps in SF!

Comment

well, it froze now on Vanilla so I went online to check and got everything from a bad motherboard (I use the Abit KN8 Ultra but there was nothing specific about it when I checked online) to overheating to bad PSU (it was just a stock 420W that came with the case).

I did notice when I took off the cover for the PCI slot next to my 6600GT my idle temps dropped from 57-59 degrees to 52-53. I've also now reinstalled the game on my second partition on my HD since one forum said it could just be a bad sector screwing me up. If the current doesn't work, I'll unhook my old, broken (it can't read CDs no more) DVD/CD reader/writer.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Comment

it cant hurt!

.... oh wait...

Comment

well went a couple hours today without it freezing. when I openned the case to unplug the DVD rom, I noticed that the ground wire for the wire going to my new CD rom's power plug was so loose it was practically coming out. Maybe, while playing, if I hit it loose, the computer experienced a critical error that it didn't know what to do about and just froze.

I hope it doesn't freeze again cause that would mean it might be the PSU.

Comment

You have a good machine. I have a good machine. The other 50,000 guys playing BF2 every night have good machines.

But it won't make a bit of difference. Know why? The code is broken.

Plain and simple: BF2 is built with broken code, and your nice machine can't fix that. Nobody's can.

BF2 was released before it was finished, and it's been patched and patched by contract developers or low-level programmers into an increasingly buggy, laggy, glitchy state since then.

BF2 is like a tree that's been cut down, but still has green leaves. It's dead, but the branches haven't received the message yet. Wait til Christmas, and you'll see what I mean.

I love BF2, but it was doomed from the start.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBunny63
                  BF2 was released before it was finished, and it's been patched and patched by contract developers or low-level programmers into an increasingly buggy, laggy, glitchy state since then.

BF2 is like a tree that's been cut down, but still has green leaves. It's dead, but the branches haven't received the message yet. Wait til Christmas, and you'll see what I mean.

I love BF2, but it was doomed from the start.
                  You know I could not agree more if I tried.

Comment

well, it still crashes. I can get a good run but then into about the 4th round or so, It freezes. oh well, I don't know what to try anymore other than replace the power supply.

Comment

God I hope so.....sometimes I can go 2 hours on a sf server and the next I can't even make it 1 round :hmm: .

Comment

Originally posted by EAGLE_18
                        You know I could not agree more if I tried.
                        Thanks mate, I appreciate that.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBunny63
                          You have a good machine. I have a good machine. The other 50,000 guys playing BF2 every night have good machines.

But it won't make a bit of difference. Know why? The code is broken.

Plain and simple: BF2 is built with broken code, and your nice machine can't fix that. Nobody's can.
                          Right there. I downloaded the Dark Messiah demo last night, and the thing played beautifully (all high, 1280x1024, with just a little chug on the scripted "finishing moves") on my aging (p4 3.0E, 2x512mb, x800xt AIW) system. If the folks who programmed and continue to modify the Source engine can get it looking so purrrty on my good-but-not-great desktop, why would I want to torture myself with more battlefield?

Well, I'll tell you: I enjoy the gameplay, and all the options--fly a helo, drive a tank, find a perch and snipe, fly a plane, pilot a boat, defend with a TOW, blow up assets, heal, resupply, call in arty, be in a squad, be a loner, be a squad killer with claymores/nades, etc.--but when the guts of the program interfere with user enjoyment that's (potentially) the beginning of the end.

...especially if the full Dark Messiah makes good on the promise the demo showed.

...ditto Crysis...

Comment

1.4 will definitely eliminate most if not all of the server crashes as well as the CTDs that came with 1.3. I don't expect SF specific fixes as the SF and vanilla apps are different and the patch is optimized for vanilla fixes. That being said, I love SF and haven't let the problems ruing the fun for me. Other than lag with choppers on random servers, the patch will improve the experience for me. Just eliminate the server crashes and I can feed the addiction.

Comment

Originally posted by GMEM1991
                              never had trouble with both games.. useless patches..
                              patches with new maps are always welcome...
                              so why not a new map for SF?? we already are so short on maps in SF!

Because Ea even said that they are dropping all support of SF which basically means screw it we dont wanna bother trying to fix it anymore so we just stole you're money.

Comment

Working...
                              X