The Real Wake Island: 'The Alamo of the Pacific'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Real Wake Island: 'The Alamo of the Pacific'

Thanks alot for the nice comments Fella's. That History Channel documentary on Wake Island really had an impact on me when I learned what these poor guys went though being forced to work as slave laborers and then being brutally cut down with a machine gun while blindfold by their cowardly Japanese captors. I wanted to share it with you guys.

Originally posted by deadman2312
    Ok, what i REALLY REALLY wanna know is......

WHO IS THE ******* STANDING THERE SMILING AT THE LOCATION WHERE 98 CAPTURED AMERICAN CONTRACT WORKERS WERE EXECUTED?

That smile...i just wanna slap the hell out of him....
    deadman, That comment made me laugh out load! :laugh: I really thought the same thing when I found the photo. I said to myself, why is this smacktard smiling? He should have a solum and reverent look on his face knowing he is standing over the remains of 98 american heroes. It would be like taking a picture of someone with a stupid grin on their face with the WTC Ground Zero in the backgound!

Comment

Originally posted by G.I.Jersey
      hahah I thought it was GI Jersey!

Comment

Originally posted by Zefram
        hahah I thought it was GI Jersey!
        Oh, Wise Guy! *Said in Three Stooges Curly voice*

Actually if you look at that photo, it looks like the location of the masscre and mass buriel is at about the same spot as the PLA arty sticks on our BF2 Wake. So next time your taking out the arty on Wake, remember the 98 Americans, and also that was the last spot they stood alive on planet Earth.

Comment

I spent a 5 days there. its only a pit stop for military. it is a very kicked back life style for the few that run the airfield. Oh and the bar. The wake map is close but not right. But Heay its just a game. One thing that the game needs is all the freakin sharks. It would be cool when people try to swim in from the carrier and get ate by a shark. Thats what would most likely happen in real life. As for history the island has alot. Still today peices of the war can be found without even trying to look. However nothing can be taken from the island unless you hide it good. Oh and the bridge on the right side is awsome for jumping off of after a day of drinking.

Comment

The prop plane is a C-130, though it is sort of taken at a deceiving angle.

Comment

Originally posted by dhasegaw
              thanks! now i can sleep again. i really thought a c-130 would have a visible fuselage and cockpit in any shot fully showing both props.

Comment

Originally posted by megawhompertoo
                thanks! now i can sleep again. i really thought a c-130 would have a visible fuselage and cockpit in any shot fully showing both props.
                yeah thats definently a 130, you can tell by the engines

beautiful plane aint she

Originally posted by dhasegaw
                Nah, it can take steeper angles than that!

Built like a rock

Comment

I liked the Wake Island from BF1942, It looks more real-to-life to the real Wake Island
                  I don't like the Wake Island in BF2 that much
                  I will play it, but it's a pain

Comment

The island looks amazing, I want to visit!

Comment

Originally posted by dblEdge
                      The island looks amazing, I want to visit!
                      Me, too
                      I would be like "Where's the J-10s?" ROFL JK

Comment

Originally posted by megawhompertoo
                        Neat post.

For those who may be curious, that prop job is a C-2A, probably delivering mail to/from a carrier.

edit. second look...no it's not. help me out...osprey? no. too many blades.

edit 2: upside-down AWACS? nope. e2's fuselage and cockpit would be visible...

edit 3: arghh. somebody?

c-130?

Comment

FH did a pretty good upgrade of the Wake map for their version. They were limited to the original layout, but did a lot with bunkers and foliage removal.

I've been fascinated by the battle since reading the book in high school and have probably re-read it about 10 times since.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir. Snipers0
                            c-130?
                            read above

already been answered

Comment

I'm happy someone else posted this.. I posted the same thing (did you know wake island was real) on this very forum a few months back...

...and countless people ripped the sh*t out of me for not knowing that wake island was "sacred" to the American ppl..

Thank you for highlighting it again and making me realise that I'm not a complete ***-clown for not being aware of all elements of history..

Comment

Why does wake island need school buses? and why do they have a welcome sign on the road to people drive to wake island?

Comment

Working...
                                X