The Real Wake Island: 'The Alamo of the Pacific'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Real Wake Island: 'The Alamo of the Pacific'

We all have spent coutless hours on the virtual Wake Island in Battlefield 2. But for those of you who may not know, there is in fact a real Wake Island that has some rather infamous history surrounding it. There was a really interesting documentary on the History Channel a few weeks ago called "Wake Island: The Alamo of the Pacific". It showed what really happened to our G.I.'s and civilians who were held prisoner and eventually murdered in a blood bath massacre by the Japanese during World War 2. And how we took the island back in a pitched batte and made the Japanese pay for their war crimes. If you get a chance to see this I highly recommend it. It was kind of strange seeing the real Wake Island after spending so much time on it in BF2.

On October 5, 1943, carrier planes from USS Yorktown conducted an extremely successful raid. Two days later, fearing an imminent invasion, Rear Admiral Shigematsu Sakaibara ordered the execution of 98 captured American contract workers remaining on the island who had been doing forced labor for the Japanese. They were taken to the northern end of the island, blindfolded and machine-gunned. One of the prisoners (whose name has never been discovered) escaped the massacre, apparently returning to the site to carve the message 98 US PW 5-10-43 on a large coral rock near where the murdered Americans had been hastily buried in a mass grave. This unknown American was re-captured within a few weeks, after which Sakaibara personally beheaded him with a sword. The inscription on the rock can still be seen and is a Wake Island landmark. After the war, Sakaibara and his subordinate, Lieutenant-Commander Tachibana, were sentenced to death for this and other crimes (several Japanese officers in American custody had committed suicide over the incident, leaving written statements that incriminated Sakaibara).

On September 4, 1945, the remaining Japanese garrison surrendered to a detachment of the United States Marine Corps. In a brief ceremony, the handover of Wake was officially conducted.
    In this the Wikipedia article for Wake Island they even make mention of the Battlefield franchise!
    Several games based on World War II scenarios make mention or even feature a 'Wake Island' map or location. The most noted of this is from the Digital Illusions CE/ Electronic Arts game Battlefield 1942. Wake Island quickly became a favorite among gamers of Battlefield 1942 because of its size, and the fact that it allowed for spectacular dogfighting between the two opposing teams. This map offers action between the Japanese and American military, with the Americans defending the island and the Japanese attacking from a carrier and a destroyer. In EA's latest Battlefield game, Battlefield 2 the 1.03 Patch released on the 5th of October added a new map to the current line up called Wake Island 2007 This version of Wake Island was based on its BF1942 counterpart but instead had the Chinese People's Liberation Army as the opponent instead of the Japanese. Wake Island 2007 differs from its older sister in that only one team has an aircraft carrier and that the Chinese team already has control of the island. This scenario is set up so that the United States Marine Corps forces must take the island back and has many remnants left from World War 2, including many aircraft wrecks and bunkers. Like its BF1942 counterpart it is also a favourite among gamers. The Wake Island 2007 map correctly depicts the overall shape of Wake Island, but doesn't accurately reflect the modern state of the island.

Here is a great story about what really happened during the Battle for Wake Island from the "Marines Leatherneck Magazine"

Here are some cool pics of how Wake Island looks currently today in 2006

Finally here is a really nice Google Earth shot of Wake Island, that our very own Battlefield Podcast Ranked Server Admin 'BFPod Johnnybadass' found and say's "i wanna go and live there someday" LOL

Re: The Real Wake Island: 'The Alamo of the Pacific'

good stuff

Comment

womg.

Comment

Interesting stuff! Thanks for posting ...

I also found it on google earth when I was bored at work once. Its quite strange looking at the real thing.

Comment

Isn't Wake Island closed off to the public?

Comment

Very interesting, great post!

Comment

its a small island only 3 sqmiles but i knew it was real even before bf2. most places in bf2 are real but not acctual physical locations,

for example there is a gulf of oman although the beach does not look exactly like it does in resl life.

Comment

bro who doesnt know the real story of wake. great post none the less

Comment

Hurrah for WWII history! Its always interesting to read about great battles (of the pacific theater or anywhere else). I already knew about this, but thanks for finding some good articles.

Comment

Neat post.

For those who may be curious, that prop job is a C-2A, probably delivering mail to/from a carrier.

edit. second look...no it's not. help me out...osprey? no. too many blades.

edit 2: upside-down AWACS? nope. e2's fuselage and cockpit would be visible...

edit 3: arghh. somebody?

Comment

Ok, what i REALLY REALLY wanna know is......

WHO IS THE ******* STANDING THERE SMILING AT THE LOCATION WHERE 98 CAPTURED AMERICAN CONTRACT WORKERS WERE EXECUTED?

That smile...i just wanna slap the hell out of him....

Comment

with it having such a big airport/runway, what else is there on that island?? do many people live there? lots of houses? schools? hospitals?

^^ thats your assignment for today

Comment

Originally posted by deadman2312
                          WHO IS THE ******* STANDING THERE SMILING AT THE LOCATION WHERE 98 CAPTURED AMERICAN CONTRACT WORKERS WERE EXECUTED?
                          I'd smile too twisted humour, i know. but i find it funny.

Comment

Great post, thanks for the info. And no, I was not aware about the true story behind Wake Island.

Comment

I don't know if many people live there considering it's extremely remote location. It must be a really simple life if they do, with no real technology. No social life either.

It looks like it's used for government and mail purposes.

Comment

Working...
                              X